1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Behind Bridge Mic Recommendation (2 Questions!)

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Suntower, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Suntower

Suntower

Nov 10, 2012
    Hi,

I've got a plywood bass... which sounds fine live, but I've struggled to record it successfully with a single low budget mic or pickup. I had an EV-RE20, SM7, Studio Projects C1, Blue 'Reaktor'... that range.

I stumbled on this thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remo...ight-bass.html and this: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...carter2005.jpg

...and gave that a shot with the Studio Projects C1 5" from bridge and then a Behringer ECM8000 with the rubberbands (it's a $40 omni meant for analyzers) the only small mic I had handy).

WOW. Even this cheap-o combination sounds MILES better than any one mic or pickup combination I've tried. Seriously. It's like night and day. The 'rubberband' mic really gives the 'body' I was looking for.

QUESTION #1
    OK, so now that I have a proof-of-concept. But obviously, I can tell that the ECM8000 isn't the right choice for this---still kinda boxy. Now I don't have the dosh for a Neumann KM140 (or even a 184). So what are some lower-dollar solutions that would be good choices for this application? I guess the requirements are: SDC? Fairly even response?

It would be nice if the mic was a good fit for other applications (I'm thinking of acoustic guitar) but that's tertiary.

QUESTION #2
    Is there a mic HOLDER for this application? The rubber bands are a pain to set up. It would be nice to have something that I can slip in and out quickly as needed

bass-bridge-mic.

TIA,

---JC

2. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    A little creativity with some lightweight foam between the bridge legs does away with the rubber band thing very nicely. In all respect to folks who use the rubber band jig, to me it just looks terrible and precarious every time I see a picture. With the right piece of foam, mounting and dismounting the mic from the bass is really easy.

Mgaisbacher likes this.
  3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    For trying a bunch of different mics close miced an H-Clamp is invaluable. On most basses mounted to the lower part of the C bout it can put a mic between the bridge legs and still be out of the way of the bow. Your control over precise placement is a zillion times better than foam or rubber bands.

I don't have vast experience with lots of different mics but as far as less expensive mics I have tried go I like the Heil PR40....but it's pretty similar to an RE-20 (and kinda heavy for the H-Clamp). I have an old Audio Technica AT825 stereo condenser that sounds great. Close it has more in yer face force but at 3'-4' from the G side f-hole it's very natural sounding. Lots of detail still but with an airiness you don't get as easily close micing. It's been discontinued a while and I got mine for $50. Even for the $400 they cost new fifteen years ago it was probably a lot of bang for the buck.

Suntower likes this.
  4. Suntower

Suntower

Nov 10, 2012
    I'm not getting it. Do you have a piccie or can describe in more detail? Foam, I have.

I agree the rubber band is not a great permanent solution (hence the question.)

TIA,

---JC

5. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    I can't get pics of my rig up here, but it's along the lines of this: And as I said, with some creative thought, and some lightweight foam for different and larger mics bassball-audix2.

Suntower likes this.
  6. Suntower

Suntower

Nov 10, 2012
    Thanks. That wasn't at all what I expected. What kind of mic do -you- use?