Behind the beat groove???

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Music_for_life, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
  2. What I found beyond my comprehension is how two strangers just hook up after one small ride. Both were desperate for action.:bag:

In all seriousness, though, I didn't hear anything behind the beat. Pretty standard sounding stuff to me.

3. conttador

conttador

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Maybe some from behind action. But no behind the beat action IMO as well.

4. Groove Master

Groove Master Commercial User

Apr 22, 2011
    Montreal
    Author of Groove 101, Slap 101 and Technique 101
    To me, it sounds like a relax feel but your impression of behind the beat comes from the snare on 2&4 that is played on top of the beat imo.

5. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    You are right!! the snare is on top..with a relax feel you meant the bass line is a little behind??

6. Groove Master

Groove Master Commercial User

Apr 22, 2011
    Montreal
    Author of Groove 101, Slap 101 and Technique 101
    The bass feels like its behind but it ain't. It is played right on the beat but the snare on top of the beat gives the illusion of laid back to me.

7. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    +1. I'd agree. The bassist is Mark Andes and he's just playing a simple pedal line on beat but the way the drummer is playing gives it that laid back pocket. It's not pushed at all.

Mark was the bassist in Firefall during their hey day before he joined Heart and I know him from that connection. He's a very tasteful player. You can listen to some of his stuff on their recordings. He does a particularly nice job on Mexcio.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021