Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

behind the nut bending

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by air_leech, Mar 13, 2002.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I've read on numerous occasions that Mark King bends a lot behind the nut.
    what the hell does that mean, how does it sound and on which of Level 42 songs can I catch some behind the nut bending in action?

2. Maybe you mean when he bends the strings behind the nut by flexing the string between the tuning post and the nut !

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    If my memory serves me right in Level 42 he would hold a chord of say three notes and a harmonic on the G string and bend that 'note' by pressing the string between the nut and machinehead. You can also add vibrato this way. Another method is to play a (false) harmonic and bend the neck forward. Do this on someone elses bass with them present :)

4. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    Thanks CS, sounds like you nailed it.

I saw that seconed thecnique you reffered to in a David Bowie Beat Club preformance on tv once. he's lead guitarist did amazing guitar pyrotechnique stuff (mind you it was '81) and one of the things he'll do was to hold a note and press the headstock untill you could hear a clear vibrato effect on that note.
    kind of makes me wonder how stable those fender necks are...

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    you are welcome

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I've posted this before. It's a way you can bend harmonics. You play the harmonic then reach behind the nut and push down really hard on the string. There's even ways you can bend harmonics lower on bass, but it can be very dangerous to your bass (you physically try to break your bass in doing it)

7. Check out King's new Status bass. It has an extension of sorts on the headless neck called "BendWell" that makes bending easier.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I do that all the time. I also like to pull on the neck. I'm not very good at doing the sliding harmonics.

9. Or, you could just put on a tremolo bridge.:D

10. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    One of my friends who plays bass like a guitar does these bending techniques sometimes. One day he asked to play my bass (it was my old Warwick NT 5) and I let him go at it. First he tried doing that behind the nut thing on mine and I was like hey man what the crap are you doing. Then he tried to do the "break the neck" trick. He says, "wow, this one doesn't do it like my Dean". I made him give it back right away.

11. Did you tell him, "Break my neck and I'll break yours?"

Bad enough he plays a bass like a guitar... :)