1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Behind the times

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jeff Martinez, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Sooo... after 17-years of playing bass, I listened to Jaco for the first time last night. :eek: I know, shocking that it's taken me this long.

I was very impressed by his playing, and I'm sure I can learn much by listening to more, but it just doesn't speak to me. :confused:

Nothing more. Just my thoughts.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

There is a thread like this at least once a month!!

Difficult music requires more than one listening, but it also depends what it was - Jaco made some poor music later in his life due to decline in his mental condition exacerbated by drugs - but no doubt his best stuff is up there with the very best.

But it's not all meant to be "Easy Listening"!!! :p

3. Eminentbass

Eminentbass

Jun 7, 2006
    South Africa
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Amps and Sandberg Basses.
    I First heard Jaco a few years ago and tried to force myself to like him because I thought I had to, to be a real bassist. I was 17 and it was a name dropping thing but no matter how I tried I just couldn't relate to it. I'm now 31 and over those issues, and it's only recently that I'm beginning to appreciate him. I was first exposed to him at 17 through someone giving me his instructional video which is what really got me into serious study of what the bass is capable of plus it ignited the desire to learn about theory. I still prefer him in a sideman capacity e.g Joni Mitchell's Shadows and Light but I've been listening to Continuum a lot lately and A Remark You Made can give me some serious goosebumps. I've drifted away from listening to bassists and am now into listening to the songs which has made me appreciate bassists even more in the context of the music that they play.

In the end though, it's up to you decide what you like based on what your ears tell you, not what bass lore tells you(I apologize if that sounds patronizing). I'm not going to recommend anything because I've only seen the tip of the iceberg as far as his music is concerned but I will say that his music is as diverse as his influences and there is bound to be something that will move you.

4. Xhiggy_bass

Xhiggy_bass

Dec 2, 2006
    anmore BC
    personally i love most (not all) of jaco's work. I also have a friend who plays bass who is like "oh, he's a really good musician but that's it...":rollno:
    but yah, different strokes for different folks i guess.

5. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I think ya had to be there....

He was a true revolutionary and they don't come around very often.

May he rest in peace -- he deserves it

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1. I Remember simply being blown away by Jaco because I had never heard anyone like him before.

7. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    evidently, people who don't care for jaco's playing have never heard Teen Town or Punk Jazz