Behind the wheel exam at the DMV tommorow

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The modifier, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Got my behind the wheel exam at the DMV tomorrow, not really worried just a bit antsy, any tips/pointers?

2. Knock 'em dead!

:bag:

3. Don't t-bone a cop car.

lowsound

4. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Set the tone for driving test success by dressing right.
    Aviator sunglasses, leather jacket, white scarf and pigskin driving gloves are a good start.
    Seriously, use your mirrors, look both ways, keep both hands on the wheel and listen to the instructor.

5. geeza

geeza

Mar 15, 2009
    Earth, but just barely.
    I'm not wearing pants
    1) Don't drink more than 4 beers beforehand.
    2) Make sure your phone is freshly charged so you can text your friends and let them know how the test is going.
    3) Load the CD player with lots of good music, like Lawrence Welk and Mantovani.
    4) Take the test in a Toyota, so any mistakes can be blamed on "unexpected acceleration."

6. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Check your mirrors all the time. You don't need a reason to check them. Just be checking one during every moment you don't have to watch the road in front of you. Five seconds should never go by without checking at least one mirror, two or more is usually better.

Other than that, eh. Do whatever.

You can thank me for the perfect score later.

7. most guys dont pass the first time. so be calm, you'll fail either way.

that should help rid you of any nerves you might have.

8. A few of these so called "tips" gave me a good laugh:D :p keep em coming.

9. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    1. Be polite, despite how awful the DMV instructors can be. I took a motorcycle test one time on a 750cc and I was watching the first 6 students ahead of me fail. I went out of my way to be extremely polite and cooperative with her and even on some spots where I should of failed I think she turned a blind eye to. I was one of two students to pass out of eight.

2. Imagine walking through a minefield. The awareness you'd need would be the highest of your life. As others have said use that same level of awareness if not even pretending to constantly be checking your mirrors, looking both ways, scanning the road, etc.

3. Be cautious but not too cautious. I took the test and was too cautious to begin with which deducted points as she said I was driving too slow in some parts of the test.

4. Make sure your car is good to go and you know all the basics of it. I failed my first time because I never asked my mom how to turn on the brights so I was flicking a button which I thought turned them on but I didn't know you had to pull in the signal shaft to turn them on. Instant failure.

10. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Come to a complete stop. The only thing that i was marked down for on my exam is not stopping completely. While i felt that my stops were more than adequate, it would be a good idea to wait a second or 2 after the car has come to a complete stop.

11. ekb16b

ekb16b

Jun 5, 2008
    Australia
    ^ female motorcycle instructor? was she hot?

Wear tight t shirts that exposes the arms and look agro. Also using the excuse of "Im like a fish i have peripheral vision, i dont need to turn my head to check blind spots" doesn't help suprisingly.

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Sharpie an L on your right hand, and an R on your left.

13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :eek: You're gonna die! ...sorry, climber humor :p

:eyebrow:

14. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    It's good to have something in common with the instructor as well. When I went to take my test, the piece of mail my dad had grabbed on our way out to prove my identity was one of my astronomy magazines. The instructor I got for the test happened to be interested in astronomy and we spent some time talking about the moon Europa and some other things during the test.
    I did well on the test, with only one mistake, when I thought the guy was pointing left and ended up taking a left, but he had told me right. Earlier, straight into the test, I almost jumped into traffic when someone behind me honked at me for taking too long, but the instructor said not to worry about people honking at me for taking my time, and it wasn't counted against me.
    Be polite and friendly to the instructor and they'll be nicer to you. Don't get too stressed out. I kept hearing that the test was a piece of cake (well, some said it was kinda difficult and that they had had bad instructors), but I didn't believe it could be so easy. The test ended up being just as easy as most everyone had said. Relax, act normal, and you should be fine.

15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Talk to your friends who've taken the test. It was common knowledge amongst a lot of us that there were certain routes that they'd commonly test you on, and to be aware of blind intersections that were on them.

I passed mine the first time, only thing I remember losing points on was being overly dramatic when checking my blind spot while changing lanes and getting points taken off for taking my eyes off the road for too long.

16. I got a 75% the lowest i could to pass, why did i pass? i think the lady felt sorry for me my mom was there with my 2 little brothers crying and it was like right after christmas, i'll take a pity license anyday. Come to think of it i got in a wreck and got a speeding ticket less then a year after that day though.

Just relax , you can retake it so dont stress, be nice and respectful to the person.

17. dont freak out. and what others have said, check everywhere. I pretty much looked down every street/lane/road I passed, which the instructor commented on as being good.

18. playinpearls

playinpearls

Apr 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    just remember that everyone on the road is an idiot except for you.

Look as far ahead as you can, let peripheral catch everything else...

check you mirrors...+1

always stop at the stop bars before the intersections, and never on a crosswalk

slow early to stops, and you'll never be too late...

19. Do what my girlfriend did to pass, flit with the dirty old man instructor.

lowsound

20. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    If your DMV is anything like mine, an old woman is going to get in your car and you're going to drive what amounts to be a large circle and then park. Just make sure you always blink, always check your mirrors, and don't crash into anything.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021