1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Behold...The Arctopus

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JJd2sc, Apr 10, 2006.

1. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I just found these guys. They are straight up fast and intense prog metal. The "bassist" is using a 12 string warr guitar. Ive found myself completely in love with his gritty tone and how it cuts through. Check them out at http://beholdthearctopus.com/

Any ideas on how to achieve a tone similar to that would be great.

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Why not simply drop him a line via his e-mail address on their "Contact" page? You'd be surprised how many people are helpful in that respect... even "big name" players you'd think are too busy.

3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've been meanng to check these guys out for awhile. Thanks for the reminder. I just noticed they're going on tour with Dysrythmia, I'll probably go see them when they come to CT. BTW, Dysrythmia is an awesome prog-strumental. Give them a listen if you haven't already.

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Great band, Colin is a frickin' machine. He's also the bassist for Dysrhythmia so that tour makes a lot of sense. ;)

Check out Infidel? / Castro! for some really bizarre stuff as well!

5. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yea He is. That dude shreds!! :bassist:

6. It's simply amazing how retardedly awesome those guys are!! Colin's parts are PERFECT.

7. Wow, Behold the Arctopus is wicked. I liked both the samples on their site - Alcoholocast is awesome! I will buy their stuff ASAP!

8. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I'm checking them out when they come through Madison, WI. It's going to be insane.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Timely thread...just heard them for the first time on the radio yesterday, reminded me of 70s era Crimson.

10. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Just got the "Nano Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning - EP" and WOW! Crazy. Reminds me a bit of DEP. The playing on this EP is just phenominal.:bassist:

Do they have any other recordings?

:( I'm bummed I missed them play last weekend in New Haven w/ Dysrythmia and Yakuza. My buddy caught them and said they stole the show. He too was in awe while marveling at Colin's bass shredding.

11. Dharmabum

Dharmabum

Jul 11, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    There is one other EP ("Arctopocalypse Now... Warmageddon Later"), but they are putting all of their material and some live tracks on an upcoming cd to be released by Metal Blade.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Excellent.

These guys are amazing.