1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Behrenger 120 faded and died...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by trackskinz, Jan 20, 2013.

1. trackskinz

trackskinz

Nov 1, 2011
    I bought an UltraBass 120 on CL.

Played it about 2 - 3 hrs, all was good.

This morning I had my Zoom B2 plugged into in (in the passive in), only at about 30% volume. Played fine for 20 minutes or so, then it started losing volume, down to zero over the course of about 90 seconds. All the lights come on, the light under the Ultra switch is still registering input signal variance, tuner jack still outputting to the tuner, just zero from the speaker.

I pulled the B2 and went straight, nothing.

Ideas? I am technically capable but ignorant on amps.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You need a qualified amp technician, with the required diagnostic tools, to see what's up, and fix it. Whether or not that's "worth it" to you is another consideration. If it were me, I'd just get a better amp.

3. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I believe this is a feature of their product catalogue, this may well be a
    cunning way of simultaneously reducing greenhouse gasses and noise pollution.
    Or possibly the power amps power supply has just died, you need to take it to a tech so he can measure things.:bassist:

4. Fatboy Leeds

Fatboy Leeds

Dec 31, 2012
    I had a similar problem with a Beringher amp ,it fried my Black Widow speaker,returned it under warranty,got money back and bought a Peavey 450 tour which is a good amp for the money.
    You may not be in a position to do this so a good amp tech may be your answer.
    Good luck

5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Looks like it has a series effects loop? Use one instrument cable to "loop" from effects send (or preamp out) to effects return (or power amp in). The return jack could be corroded inside the jack.

6. trackskinz

trackskinz

Nov 1, 2011
    Actually it seems to be an overheating issue, as the fan was not running. I reproduced the fade out at about 20 minutes, then I took it apart and plugged it back in, runs fine with better cooling for an hour...then the fan magically came on...
    I think I have some wanky wiring.

I only bought this for a practice amp, but I want reliability. We will see.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Sounds like the fan is thermally controlled (a great feature) unfortunately the one you have has a problem.

Just because one amp has this problem doesn't mean they all do.

3 year warranty on Behringer gear. Give them a call. I bet you have no problem getting it fixed or replaced.

8. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

They have a transferable warranty? He bought on Craigs List (used).

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021