1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

behringer 1800 amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cyco739z, Mar 25, 2013.

1. cyco739z

cyco739z

Mar 25, 2013
    Boston
    Boston Ma.
    Waiting for a berhinger 1800 ultrabass amp to arrive. Ive hesrd mixed reviews. Can anyone who is familiar with it help? I play at home or occationally at a friends. Thanks

2. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    For your home practice you'll probably fare ok. For playing out with friends, pray for a delicate drummer. Behringer pad their wattage ratings pretty significantly. The combo will probably only be the volume equivalent of another company's 65-80w unit.

I'm of the opinion that Behringer combos afford good bang-for-buck and unlike many forum members, have had few negative experiences with the brand. They're the kind of unit that I'd buy a half dozen of were I the buyer for a school for example. Others will tell you otherwise.

3. Have you bought it all ready? It's on order or your waiting for a store to have it in stock?

You won't like to read it, but I recently tried a Behringer amp and wasn't too happy with the result. To sum it up briefly, it was noisy and not made to last. For your application, I'd aim at something perhaps rated at a lower wattage, but of a better quality. Peavey's new MAX series are quite impressive for the price. I tried (and might eventually buy as a second amp) the Max 115 rated at 300 watts which is priced at 300$... the Max 112, at 200 watts, goes for 250$. Pretty cool, good sounding, and made to last... with real useful features.

4. cyco739z

cyco739z

Mar 25, 2013
    Boston
    Boston Ma.
    Well i can stop the purchase and probably will. Im trying to upgrade from my smaller Kustom bxa35 practice amp but havent heard much thats incouraging. Probably keep looking. Thanks for the help. That was my first activity on this forum. I dont play out other than a trip to my friends once or twice a week to jam. Still need the upgrade. Lookig used and inexpensive.

5. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    The advice on the entry level Peavey combos above is strong. I'd consider that heartily. Ashdown and Ampeg also do good reasonably priced small combos.

If you're playing with friends at all I'd suggest you look towards that magical 150w mark. The Peavey TNT is highly regarded. Don't be afraid to look at the used market either if you have the option.