Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer amps - best wattage for the $$?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, May 29, 2005.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    You guys hijacked my thread with gibberish and I didn't get a chance to respond before the Moderator closed the thread. :crying:

What I wanted to say was that I'm having a real hard time finding a negative review of the Behringer amps. Unless the reviews are all written by Behringer folks, they are for the most part positve.

Let's please keep this thread on the up-n-up this time. :)

2. Check around to see how reliable they are. Best dollars/watt doesn't just depend on dollars and watts.

If it lasts twice as long, its worth twice as much also. If it breaks down after a year or two and you have to replace it, not much of a bargain in the first place.

Randy

3. You were asking about the EP series power amps, right? I have an EP1500. It's been in fairly heavy use for about a year and a half. I've had no problems with it. It runs cool, and does its job well. It's heavy, though.

4. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    It's the EP series, the 1500 and 2500 that seem to be the aforementioned bargains.

I'm just a 2-3x/month player (been doing it for 26 years, though). Can a $900 amp that puts out the same wattage really make THAT much of a difference in a band situation in clubs, medium sized halls and beer tents?

5. Soundwise, probably not, but for $900 you can get a lightweight amp that's most likely built better and has a better warranty.

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    well up to ears some might say they hear the diff some other will say the diff is eaten by the guitar. i have had a bx1200 that didnt broke.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Reviews worth reading are rare. If it appears in a magazine or on a website where the manufacturer or retailers of the product advertises there's always a potential for conflict of interest. If it appears on the web the qualifications of the reviewer are often suspect. Worse, with new gear how does one predict reliability?

The one review that's reliable and unbiased is how well equipment holds its value. Junk will quickly appear in stores and on line used at very low prices if the majority of original owners were unhappy with it. Quality gear will stay in the original owner's hands longer and go for a better price when it does sell as used. Want to see if a partcular piece of gear is any good? Do an EBay search. If a hundred owners are dumping theirs at a quarter what they paid for it less than a year ago that's not a good sign.

In general be very wary of too many watts per dollar. Wattage alone is no indication of an amps quality. Amps that offer significantly higher wattage for less money than average very likely are cutting costs somewhere to do it.

8. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Well said.

9. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    A couple of years ago, my wife bought me a BX1200 for my birthday. I've toted the thing to many auditions/rehearsals and have generally pushed the thing hard. I've used it many additional hours to learn new material at home. I've played it onstage a time or two as an additional monitor and have used the direct out to the board.

It has been a very serviceable unit when used within' its limitations. I primarily play a Fender Jazz bass, so tonewise? Heck everything sounds at least good enough when you plug in a Fender. Overall, I have been satisfied with its performance. I've had to use a direct box the last two times that I've used it on stage because of a reported weak output to the board from the DI. Phantom power? I don't know... but maybe the DI was zapped because of that? I don't gig it anymore but its still a darn good beater box.

With that said, I understand the point of view of the detractors. While I would not want to have to rely on this (or any) unit as my sole resource, I would if it meant the difference between playing or not playing.

Affordable? Serviceable? Yes. Ethics as pointed out from detractors? I'm not playing that game.

10. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I bought one Behringer product (not for bass, a mixer) and it crapped out on me. I have never tried their bass products, but I am a vindictive consumer. :spit: I hold grudges against companies. I do not judge anyone who uses their products. I have a good friend who could not be happier with his Behringer (he can't fathom why someone would pay more for a bass head). I simply choose not to fork over any more money to them.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

11. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    O heck you can't beat thier cheesy neat-o lil PA mixers for $89.

12. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Nope, their mixers rock till that Eurodesk mixer craps out on the job.

Edit: let me reiterate, that mixer is the only Behringer product I've ever purchased, so that power amp may or may not work like a champ for all I know