Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer Amps/Cabs, Tonality and Quality

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cassanova, Jul 21, 2005.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I know all about the law suits that have been filed against them but what I dont know about them is their tone and quality.

I'm on a really tight budget right now and reaquiring gear. So I'm more or less looking for something inexpensive that is also reliable, gig worthy, and has decent tone.

Ive never played through a Behringer amp or cab primarily because I dont see them around here. Their price has definately cought my eye because of the budget I'm on. Im also an avid believer of you get what you pay for, so I already know they arent going to be that great. Probibly not even as good as my Carvin cab and Hartke 2000 head were and I didnt find that combination to be "all that" either.

But I'm asking people here to put the law suit crap behind them and give me honest advice about their quality and tonality. Is it reliable enough to do rehearsals and gigs with for at least a couple of years and is the tone decent enough at best to not embarass myself at auditions and such?

Thank you

2. Theyre not the most reliable things in the world , the rehearsal studio we use got rid of all theyre behringer gear cheap cus it kept breaking on them , sound wise they were ok at best, a very very cheap ashdown clone , id save up your dough and get sumthing worth buying and keeping for years to come!

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I use a BX1200. 1X12" pushed by 120W. It doesn't go as deep and low as an Ampeg but it is very clear in the mid low range. It has the headroom to deal with transients caused by differences in attack. And it makes enough noise to fill my house in satisfying quantities. I think it can go louder but the limiter tries to make sure that you don't damage the amp or the driver.

Mine came with an octaver. It works well enough as long as you don't try sustaining high notes on the G string. Then it tracks funny. on the E, A D and low to mid G it sounds great.

It also came with a contoured channel switchable via included footswitch. I use it to get a different tone in mid song without twiddling with the bass knobs.

Like you I didn't want to binge on the gear. My reason was I didn't know how committed I was going to be. I don't want to have thousands of $$ in gear sitting idle in my playroom. My wife won't like that :)

Anyway, I am considering getting another Behringer so I can use my effects' stereo outputs.

4. Behringer Amps/Cabs, Tonality and Quality not included

5. What is reliable as a tank, and i think has a really good tone (especially for the price) would be a peavey firebass 700 with a 4x10 cab

I prefer it over the cheaper ashdown stuff, and it never went wrong on me, second hand is always a good route to go!

6. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    +1 for the firebass (aka the max 700 ect)

Peavey has the max700 (700watts @ 2ohms 475 watts @ 8 and 275 watts @8ohms for around 550$ new.

If you could snag up one of those used or new it's peavey they don't die. Along with an avatar 410 or 212. Serious fire power right there and since the firebass goes down to 2 ohms you could get an 8 ohm cab and add another cab later on or you could get a 4ohm cab and get another cab later on.

Another good head would be a kustom groove bass, 1200watts @2ohms 800 watts @4 ohms and 500 watts @ 8 ohms. A little bit more than the firebass but you get some more fire power pair it up with some avatar cabs and you will be set.

7. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Huh?

8. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I currently use a Behringer Europower 1500, a BX3000T, and a BX115. I like them and they have not given me any problems. I use the Europower with my pre/power amp setup. I used to use a V-amp pro for the pre now I use a BBE Bmax. I still have the V-amp but now I just use it as a direct box on gigs when I don't need an amp. The head is now my backup amp/practice rig. Here is a review of the BA115 I posted a couple of months back. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173934&highlight=Behringer+Ba115

I have gotten nothing but compliments on my tone and barring the moral issues it is a cheap alternative. People say you get what you pay for. I have gotten nothing but reliable good sounding gear. I have owned everything from Fender, Peavey, SWR, and Carvin. This stuff gives me what I am looking for and I am not paying an arm and a leg. Some of us cannot afford the high end and we have to do with what we can afford.

9. missed a "d", still getting used to this new wireless keyboard

Behringer have a fairly high fail rate none the less, and as robear mentioned, moral issues, which i wont get involved in cus it'll probably end up in the thread being closed

10. I haven't tried the cabinets but I did sit in with a band that the bassplayer had the 300 watt Behringer head and a Hartke VX 410 cabinet.He had a Fender P bass lite through it and I thought it was plenty loud and thumped pretty well.I didn't mess with the EQ at all since I was only playing a couple of songs but it seemed like it worked ok for him.It could have used a little more high end clarity but that could have been the cabinet or just the way he liked it to sound.Could I gig with one?Yes.Would I?No,I'd look for a good used Hartke 3500 or a Peavey head.

11. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I own the Behringer bx3000t. I like it, its got a good low end to it with my Peavey cab and I can coax a lot of different tones out of it.

However.

If I hadn't needed the gear right away, I would have waited and gotten a 4x10 and the Ashdown Mag300h from Avatar. The Mag isn't much more than the Behringer and I liked the sound of both.

However, if the extra money is a hassle, here's the low down. I do like it, for the money it is amazing, I've been using mine for 6 months, cranking it and beating the hell out of it at practice and at gigs, it's been to jam band gigs and to hardcore metal shows. It has survived. I play with a loud drummer and a Crate Blue Voodoo half stack guitar player. I can be heard. I shake the whole place. And that's just with the 8ohm peavey cab I have. I'm throwing a 1x15 under it soon. The one I bought was a floor model that was sitting in my favorite little music shop and that every 12 to 16 year old kid that walked in there used because it was hooked to the biggest cab in the room.

12. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Just got the BX4500H Head, here in Australia for a great price. It's the upgrade 450 watt rms into 4 ohm version of the BX 3000T . Dont Know whether it has hit the shops yet in the USA. Does what I need andsounds fine.
    Jeff

13. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I have owned the BX3000T and play through Avatar cabs for over a year now with no problems whatsoever. The head has taken use and abuse without ever blinking an eye. Musicians that have played with our band and soundmen have asked me what kind of amp I'm using because they like the tone.

I'm planning on purchasing the 450 watt version when it becomes available, just to have a little more headroom. Not that I really need more. The 300 watt version is enough power realistically if you also DI into the front.

My experience with Behringer is all positive.

14. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    I have the BX3000T head and the BA115 and BA210 aluminum cabs. Very tight. Handles the low B well. I originally bought this setup as a backup/extra rig for my gameroom and all I can say is test drive the head. You'll be impressed. Don't listen to all the Behringer-bashers. Most of the nay-sayers have never been within 1000 yards of the head. The bassist in my brothers band happens to be one of those nay-sayers... until he came over during Hurricane Dennis, plugged in and said.. "Wow... Mind if I beat on this a while?" It survived. Draw your own conclusions. If people listened to the masses here at TB we'd all be strapping on Fenders. How boring...

15. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've seen quite a bit of Behringer bashing here at TB.

I bought a BX3000T as a backup to my SVT classic. After awhile, I wound up making the Behringer my primary amp. Into a 410HLF, it has all the headroom I need with great tone. I like the VU meter because I switch from passive to active basses during gigs and it lets me quickly dial in the right gain. I have quite a few hours on it now and never suffered a failure. Just in case, I still carry a Hartke head as a spare. :) I have had a hum into the PA at certain venues, so a ground lift on the DI would be nice to have.

When faced with very smoky clubs or outdoor gigs, it sure feels better toting the $200 Behringer than it would dragging my $2000 SVT around. For honest value, you can't beat it. At that price, buy 2 and you'll still come out cheaper than the average price of a 300 watt head!

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    My friend and fellow TBer Hambone gave me a 15" Celestion driver a couple of weeks ago. I was thinking about buying the Behringer 15" cab and dropping the speaker that Hambone gave to me in it. I'm sure that it would make the cab sound a bit better than what it probably does.

As for you guys who suggested I save for the Peavey, well thats not an option for me right now. Im just looking for inexpensive that makes decent sound. A for now kinda thing just to get me buy until I have the cash for the rig I truly want.

17. Im a naysayer because i dont like the sound of them (yes, i have tried playing with them), and someone i knows amp caught fire

18. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Which cab are you gonna buy? The aluminum or the paper? They both sound very different and you may be surprised by the tone you get. Tone is very subjective and you will just have to try it out yourself. The paper ones go for 179 I believe.

19. Im a naysayer because i dont like the sound of them (yes, i have tried playing with them), and someone i knows amp caught fire

20. Amp issue aside, have you considered an unloaded 15" Avatar enclosure? Dave does sell some (not sure whicj speaker configurations), but it may be cheaper than buying the Behringer cab.

Mike