Behringer Amps/Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Oct 5, 2005.

1. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Just wondering if anybody has tried Behringer amps and cabs? As some of you can see from my above average number of posts here, I will be buying a cab and amp very soon and would not mind getting some input from the great TBers. Here is the gear I am currently looking at:

Amp -

Cab -

Does anyone here own Behringer bass amplification products or has tried them? What can you tell me about it? It seems like the value is there. Where are these things made?
  2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA

(In Before The Nuclear War)

Seriously, Behringer amps have been the subject of some VERY contentious threads around here. Do a search.
  3. Bently

Bently Guest

Jul 3, 2005
    Saltillo, Mississippi
    He's right. I own a behringer 410 and love it. I tried it side by side with a hatke 410 (was using a hartke 3500) in the store and it blew it away, in my opinion. It also has a tweeter that you can turn on and off, a little nice addition. And they cost about half as much!
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Berhinger might sound somewhat decent- at least their paper cone series- but reliability in my eyes is nilch. My guitarist had his Berhinger amp crap out after about 3 weeks and there is no customer service whatsoever.
  5. I had a small BX600 Behringer combo.

It was OK. Solid, reliable. Just not the tone I was looking for. It wasn't amazing, but it was OK. It was certainly worth what I paid for it.

To answer your question about their origin, Behringer gear is made in China, as are many other manufacturers products.

As far as the Behringer politics are concerned - do a search here on Behringer and make up your own mind ;)

Ashdown make their entry level gear in China also, and it's very good - I own a Chinese Ashdown Mag300 head and 410 cab. Most of Warwick's amps and cabs are now made in China as well - I own a Warwick Blue Cab 20 and a Warwick Sweet 15 combo. The Warwick stuff is great also, and as a result of the move out of Germany the gear had experienced a significant drop in price, but has retained excellent quality.

Some gear made in China is very crappy, but some of it is excellent. My advice is to try and avoid prejudice regarding equipment's origin, and check it out closely first hand before making a purchase, regardless of where it came from.
  6. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill

First off let me tell you that we here at Talkbass can not make up your mind for you. You have to ultimately decide what you want. :cool:

I own a BX3000T and the BA115 cab. Here is the review of the cab.

For the money this setup is not bad. You get your money's worth out of it. It has been reliable and I have been able to get some good tones from it. I went with the 15 because it had more bottom than the 410. For the price that you listed though there are some better alternatives. Avatar and Steelsound are two of them. Do a search on those two or look at the link that unity bass posted for Avatar.

People rarely sing the praises of Behringer on TB. It is what it is. A low cost alternative that if you take care of it will last a long time for you.
  7. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. I am gonna stop by the local music store here and see if they have any Behringer products to test out.

I have checked out the Avatar website and just as I suspected; they do not ship to Canada :( . Its too bad because their gear is just awesome. There are much more possibilities in the U.S. for purchasing gear, I can see why so many TBers are suffering from GAS :p I would too.

I am honestly considering driving to Toronto (about 4 hours from me) to a music store with a good selection. Either that or buy something from the Guitar Center accross the border in Michigan, and then pay the extra $ at the customs office for bringing into Canada.

8. jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    i own that same setup, with paper cones, and i got it from musicians friend,MUCH cheaper than that, for that price, i most def recommend you get some thing higher quality, dont get me wrong i love my behringer, but there is alot of better stuff out there,

and btw +1 on

wait. i forgot, you are in Canada, nevermind, i dont know if the prices of certain stuff is more expensive sorry, but i am very impressed with my behringer for the price.

9. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Musicians Friend does have amazing prices. But, they only ship within the U.S. For Canada we have Its basically the Canadian version of Musicians Friend (translation - it does not compare lol).
  10. I own an Ultrabass BX3000t Head that I'm playing through a Steelsound 4-10" cab w/Eminence Speakers. Can't beat the cost, but the 4-10's are incredibly heavy for me to carry around. I heard the head played through Behringer's 2-10' and 1-15' set up, which I will be buying shortly. The 2-10's are much more mobile for the smaller gigs, and the 1-15 will give some a little more low freq kick. I'll also be able to sell my combos amps, so I won't have to worry about changing the settings when going from rig to combo.
  11. jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    yeh sorry, when i was typing i didnt realize that he was in Canada

12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    First with Behringer, did you check Musicians Friend. FREE SHIPPING!!! Second - Behringer???
    There are a thousand amps in the $450 range. Second - Schroeder Cabinets for a 1210 or a 1212 would be a great way to go. Also, Avatar or even several of the other boutique cabs.
  13. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Every time someobody suggests Musician's Friend and Avatar it makes me want to move o the U.S because they don't ship to Canada :mad: lol they do have some great gear but I cannot get my hands on it.
  14. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Well they let me out of work 2 hours early today so I figured I'd go and check my local music store to see what they have. Just so happens that Leone's Music World in my town got a shipment of Behringer cabs :D but they had no heads..oh well, I figured I might as well try out the cab and see how it sounds. I hooked up an Ampeg B2-R (350W @ 4 ohms) into a Behringer ULTRABASS BB410, and grabbed a higher end bass w/Active pickups (very obscure name, cannot remember).

I was seriously impressed with the Behringer cab's sound (with an Ampeg head). It had so much punch and plenty of low end (more than I expected)! To be honest I was expecting it to be a below average sounding rig based on the reviews I read on TB and other sources. Just goes to show you that opinions are like a$$holes - everyones got 'em :D

I also hooked up the Ampeg head into a Behringer ULTRABASS BA410 which had the alu cone speakers. For lack of better words, they sounded like poo. They had a bright sound, but lacked the low end I was looking for. Not too impressed with this model.

I have yet to try the Behringer head, but they are getting a shipment in next week so I figure I may give it a go. I am still keeping my options open. I still wanna try Hartke but they are hard to come by in my area.
  15. jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    Here is a thread started by jellybass called " My travels with Behringer "that will answer some of your questions.

I Would give Avatar a look for the cab though (Oh Canada) Can you buy them off E-bay from Dave?

I thought someone was going to Distrib Avatar in Canada. Ah found it for canada

Good Luck

16. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    Luke.. I can explain...

sorry to those i offended in my other post about using some berhinger heads to try out cabs at GC. i swear i couldn't throw a rock and find a working cable, head, bass and cabinet up there. The guys there should check their demo stuff for signs of life. yeah right!

i think i can curse gear, while at GC I first tried a GK 700 head into the 410HLF with a warwick. the warwick's battery was dead. Then i grabbed another bass (sweet MM stingray-yum) it worked, and discovered that not only was the 700rb amp dead, but the speaker cable too. I attempeted to use an ampeg, then eden head there, but they were dead too. Crazy!

Then I saw it like a glimmering tacky gold colored light, one of those behringer 300 heads. I found a speaker cable that worked. The bass worked, the instrument cable worked (the 3rd one I tried), but you guessed it ...the behringer head was lit up, no one was home. The input needle danced away, but the power amp must of gone bye-bye.

I then was forced to use another Behringer head, the 450. I actually worked, imagine that. To be honest (here it comes) for $240 it really wasn't too bad. It would definately work for rehearsals or for a beginner or someone totally out of $. not for everyone because some of here are a little name brand snobs, me included.

The sub-octave was a little crappy, I played my best version of wacko jacko's "beat it" with it on. that "ultra high" button was hiss-ier than a toothless man trying to whistle. Ick!

I've heard worse amps than this one. Tone-wise I really wasn't that bad, actually good. I easily dialed in an okay tone, but that "shape" knob is a complete joke. to be fair, It was hard to make the stingray bass sound bad.

Now to the ampeg cabs: The 410HLF farted away. I tried the 15E-no fart decent tone. PR410h-no fart, a bit dark sounding, but the horn didn't work. I tried the PR410HLF. I already know this cab sounds good, but the demo had a blown speaker and rattled against the metal grill.

I thought I'd better leave and stop cursing gear before les pauls staring falling off the wall.

well take or it leave it.. there was my journey with a behringer head through a bunch of ampeg cabs.

i did try a behringer cab 6 months ago. actually sounded nothing like a Hartke. the behringer was bassier and not as focused as the hartke. the horn was utter crap and it looked a bit bulky to transport, but it was cheap. i have seriously thought about getting one for rehearsal.
  17. ?

Sorry dude.... you've lost me.

18. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: THANK YOU!!!!!!!
  19. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Behringer 3000T blew out 3 speakers in my B410 :(