Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 87octane_, Aug 1, 2002.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    What are your opinions on Behringer amps? I'm looking at the Ultrabass BX1200, and it sounds like a pretty sweet deal for an amp to practice/screw around in the garage with my friends. And if I ever did need more power, it's got a speaker out and power amp input. Is it worth $289?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think GC owns Behringer. Honest. And who knows what part of the planet they come from?

3. I own a BX1200 and it's really good and imo it's worth the money.

4. btw, the poweramp in is NOT for connecting another poweramp, it is for connecting a different preamp to the poweramp. The preamp out (line level) however , could be used to connect a poweramp where you could then connect other speakers. It also has a DI out

5. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    What is GC?
    Thanks for clearing the power amp input thing up for me.

6. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    GC = Guitar Center (the music supermarket who also owns MusiciansFriend.Com)
    Actually, Sam Ash & Behringer were supposedly in "bed" together. IIRC, both of them being named together in the Mackie lawsuits. They must have split though, because I haven't seen a single Behringer product in Sam Ash that last few times I've been there.

- Frank.

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Getting back to the BX1200. It appears to be Behringer's answer to the Hartke Kickback 12. The one thing that REALLY bugs me about it is that the specs have a THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) rating of 20% :mad:. Thats rediculous!!! THD should be somewhere around .2% At first I thought it was a mistake, but Behringer confirmed it for me while on the phone asking questions about a different product (FCB1010).

- Frank.

8. I have one and I think the 20% THD are not that bad because they seem only to come up if you crank the amp almost all the way up but you shouldn't do that anyway because it's always better to have some leftover headroom and besides it's (more than) loud enough turned halfway up IMO (i play in a band with two guitarists)

9. vacuumchild

vacuumchild

Aug 2, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Sam Ash has zero Behringer on their website now. GC carries Behringer's recording equipment but no amps.

I figured GC doesn't have the Behringer BX1200 amp because they wouldn't sell as many Hartke Kickback 12s if customers tried both... MusiciansFriend.com has lots of Behringer products, but no Hartke!

10. vacuumchild

vacuumchild

Aug 2, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I checked the Mackie PR and there were two separate suits: One against Sam Ash & Samson (who owns Hartke), and another against Behringer. Both suits settled out of court.

11. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    hey fgenus,

Bass amps traditionally have had high THD ratings. Par tof the charm of the SVT or Acoustic amps is their characteristic distortion.

Granted, in this day and age when people expect everything to resempble an unblemished baby's butt, 20% seems high.

12. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Yes, but those were tube amps, not SS.

By comparison, the Hartke Kickback 12 (the model Behringer is taking aim at) has a THD of 0.03 % (at 120 watts at 30kHz).

I'm not taking pot shots at Behringer. I quite a few of their products, I'm just saying with a THD of 20% factored in, advertising it at 120 watts RMS is a bit misleading.

- Frank.

13. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    If it produces 20% THD at 120W output, how many watts would produce 0.03% THD? Is there any way to calculate that?

14. not really but you can just try how loud it gets while still sounding good

15. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Not to nitpick but Acoustics were all SS.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Remember kids, GC=MF, and MF is infested with Behringers.

17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The 20% THD rating might include the speaker's distortion as well, while the .03% you're used to seeing is for just the amp. 20% THD for the entire signal chain actually isn't that bad.

And why the heck would they test the Hartke with a 30khz signal? You can't even hear that.

18. trane

trane

Jun 3, 2002
    Tokyo, Japan
    Guys, rather than spewing baseless rumour, why not take 30 seconds at the Behringer web site and discover the facts? :rolleyes:

--------

Just over 13 years ago, in 1989, BEHRINGER Spezielle Studiotechnik GmbH was founded by Uli Behringer in Germany. Since then, BEHRINGER has become one of the world's largest manufacturers of professional audio equipment with offices and partner companies around the globe and more than 1,000 employees worldwide.

Originally limited to "standard" audio equipment such as analog signal processors and mixing consoles, the BEHRINGER product range has expanded immensely and now includes digital and tube-based signal processors, a wide variety of audio solutions such as patch bays, DI boxes, headphone amplifiers etc., as well as speaker systems, microphones and even instrument amplifiers.

The secret to BEHRINGER's success lies in the company philosophy: to provide high-quality audio equipment at the lowest possible prices. A key factor in realizing this goal is cost-effective production. This has become the central theme of Uli Behringer's work and was the major reason for his relocation to Hong Kong several years ago.

BEHRINGER Germany still houses a major portion of the R & D department, which now consists of several divisions, each of them concentrating on a particular product group. In addition, sales, logistics and administration for Central, Northern and Eastern Europe, GUS and Africa are handled here, as well as all marketing, advertising and public relations activities for the entire BEHRINGER corporate group.

The first step in the latest phase of BEHRINGER's global growth was the establishment of BEHRINGER Holdings. Located in Singapore and managed by Arie van den Broek, previously director of international sales in Germany, BEHRINGER Holdings serves as the global corporate interface, coordinating the activities of the numerous BEHRINGER offices. In addition, Mr. van den Broek and his team provide sales and service to the Asian market.

In order to meet the growing demand for products, support and service, BEHRINGER then began implementing tied distribution and service centers in important overseas markets. Thus BEHRINGER USA, BEHRINGER Canada and BEHRINGER Japan were born. All three companies went online between November 1999 and January 2000 under the leadership of top-rate industry professionals.

The following two years marked enormous growth for BEHRINGER, placing the company among the top 20 global players in the MI/pro audio market. In 2001 all previous sales records were broken more than once. Along with the implementation of the new "Back to the Basics" strategy, based on internal restructuring and increased cost efficiency, this allowed BEHRINGER to once again drastically reduce prices in October 2001 some by as much as 50%.

-------------

Funny, but I don't see GC or MF mentioned anywhere in there. :rolleyes:

19. trane

trane

Jun 3, 2002
    Tokyo, Japan
    Odd. I've looked at the specs and the manual for this amp and there is no mention anywhere of the THD rating. Where did you get these specs?

20. wierd it was used to be in the spec sheet but they seem to have removed that information (It's still in the manual I have, begcause I bought it before this modification) and don't say anything about THD anymore... suspicious