Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

behringer=ashdown?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman1185, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Is there a difference between the Behringer BX3000t and the Ashdown MAG300H? The look similar, have the same power and features, ect. I have heard that they're made in the same factory. Anybody know?

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
  3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Has anyone ever taken apart the Behringer and the Ashdown and actually compared/contrasted the two? Everyone cries foul (probably deserved, but I have no idea) but I've yet to see anyone actually prove there's a real correlation between the two other than them having the nearly the same number of similar looking dials and buttons on the front.

Which is also pretty darn similar to the Workingman 4004 layout, which is also pretty similar to the Ampeg B2R layout. (There's no funtional difference between a rotary EQ know and a slider EQ - the interface is different, the circuit is the same). FWIW, the EQ frequencies don't even match between the two.

Also, the Behringer weighs 30+ pounds compared to the Ashdowns 16ish pounds, which suggests two different transformer vs. mosfet(?) engines under the hood. That alone makes a 1:1 copy impossible, leaving pretty much the only thing directly piratable being the preamp section, and reports say the amps don't sound that similar.

The Behringer tube gear (T1951,et al) all had VU meters on the front, so I don't buy that just because the Ashdown and the BX3000T both have VUs make them the same.

So I ask, has anyone actually proven the Behringer is a copy of the Ashdown?

:bag:

4. The reason the spector of Behringer refuses to die, is that there are still people on here ( like the above posters ) who feel that the topic hasn't been satisfactorarily addressed in the threads presented to date. I feel that way too.

I have no particular love of Behringer gear, but I do have an aversion to seeing people being bullied into submission for asking legitimate questions. That's why I am making this post.

The main flame that's been thrown at Behringer so far is that they copy ( almost identically ) other companies products. "Other" companies ( not Behringer ) guilty of copying designs have been excused by the counter-argument that they were using the design as a platform to "improve" a product. However, my contention is: so what? Both parties are doing this with the goal of being successful and making money out of it.
    The one with the goal of making something better and getting boutique prices, the other with the goal of making something cheaper, aiming at volume sales to cash strapped musicians.
    I bet none of these manufacturers paid any reimbursment to the original designer either unless they happened to get sued.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that even the companies who claim their designs have been "ripped off", have products themselves that are chock a block full of components, formulas and values that have come from elsewhere but re-arranged in a manner that suited and constituted "their design". Maybe I'm straining at gnats here though.

Can we have some rational discussion that answers the original poster's question; include hard evidence without insults and bullying.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Apparently, you're unaware that Behringer bought Ashdown almost two years ago. It probably was overshadowed by the drama surrounding the U.S. Music/Eden acquisition.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Patrickj, The Bassmaniac, bassman1185, none of you will ever get a satisfactory answer. I personally feel this thread should die as at this point and time it serves no purpose. The only thing this thread will accomplish is getting TB members upset with each other. Until someone takes both amps apart, photographs them, and post them, this debate will never stop. I take that back, even if someone posted all that, it still wouldn't stop! Its as bad "5 strings are better than 4 strings" type BS! I'm out...for good.

7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California

AHAHAHAHA that was wonderful.

8. Kelly, it seems to me that you are the only one that is actually arguing on this post. I don't really come in the amps forum a lot, so no, I was not aware that this had already been asked. I don't have access to the Ashdown or Behringer heads that I mentioned, so I was simply asking the knowlegeable folks here on TB to help.

9. :D Munji for President :D

The master of short term solutions to the worlds problems.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, Kelly, if you can't make a positive contribution, just don't post, K?