1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Behringer, Ashly or Rane parametric eq

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by carvinbassplyr, Jul 24, 2012.

1. I've decided to go the separate preamp/power amp route and narrowed it down to these eq units. I've grown used to the semi-parametric setup of my SWR SM900 and while I love the tone and flexibility, I am tired of dealing with the noisey design of this amp. Unfortunately there are no other amps similar in design to the SM900. The key feature for me is the 30 stepped pots used for the frequency selection. I really like choosing specific frequencies/levels instead of having a knob that just sweeps around and can be moved by the slightest bump. So now the question is do I go graphic or stick with parametric? None of the parametric setups I've seen use stepped selection/level pots. At least with a graphic you know/can see what frequency your playing with and not just haphazardly sweeping around. I will be going bass>eq>dbx160x>poweramp if that helps.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Honestly, even with stepped pots you don't know what frequency it stops at--the steps are not ever calibrated with the markings on the front of the unit. Best case scenario, with or without stepped pots, is to find a parametric that has lots of clear markings around each knob. That way even though the markings are not calibrated, at least you have a good set of reference marks. What I would do is use a little silver or glow-in-the-dark tape to mark my favorite knob pointer positions.

Make sure to get an EQ that is suitable for plugging your bass straight in--many are not suitable. Here's what you need:
    --1/4" input jack, preferably unbalanced
    --If your bass is passive, the EQ must have an input impedance of at least 500K, with higher being better. Shouldn't matter with active basses.
    --At least 25 dB gain at the input. More is better. This is where quality makes a difference: the more gain you need, the more noise comes with that, and ideally/hopefully the better quality of gear is made with lower-noise opamps and lower-noise gain stage design overall.

3. I understand what you're saying. I just like having definite notches as I'm sweeping through the frequencies. This allows me to go one click at a time until I find a frequency center I like. With a free turning knob, just tapping it can change the frequency center that might have taken you hours to try and haphazardly roll into.

My bass is an 18v active circuit. I figured as long as the eq had it's own volume knob that I could use that as the gain stage before the power amp. Is that not the case?

4. What about an ADA MB1?

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It's only the case sometimes. Depends on the specific amount of gain available, and the sensitivity of the power amp. It will work, but how well it works will depend.

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Sure, it's programmable, no slippage of knobs.

7. Sounds like you're not a huge fan lol

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    No it's just that I've never used one. I only know its specs.

9. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I've only used the Ashly and I loved it. Didn't dig the preamp/power amp setup, though. Way too much needless work. My bass is also pretty active (Status S2-Classic) and can drive a power amp on it's own and has a pretty good EQ built in.

10. Well I like it because u can usually get more power for less money, be lighter on average with today's single rack power amps, be very picky about your pre/eq section and the biggest factor for me is that it's usually much quiter because transformers and preamps aren't crammed together. I'm actually very intrigued by the presonus studio channel. It's basically a racked SM900 pre and eq section with a little fine tuning ability.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I've owned a bunch of analog rack mount PEQs (mostly Ashly, one Symetrix, some homebrews) and never once had that particular problem. I'd suggest you just go digital if you need discrete steps though. Makes recalling your magic number really easy. ;)

12. If I find one I like then I probably will. With equipment being loaded/unloaded on planes, trucks etc. and being setup by other people it's just too easy for stuff to get bumped/moved. With sweeping knobs you really have to be able to hear when ur adjusting them which can be hard in large live settings, at least IME. What are peoples thoughts on the eureka vs the studio channel? They're quite similar with a couple key differences. The eureka has transformer coupled input and more control in the eq section while the studio channel has a tube input and a more "streamline" eq section.

13. I think I've pretty much settled on grabbing a Presonus Eureka and doing the LT1357 op-amp/Jensen JT11K8APC transformer swap (hot rod edition). The saturation knob, especially with Jensen transformer, will really come in handy as a "one knob fix" when wanting to quickly warm up/round out my tone for the ballads/slow jams instead of having to mess with the Treble/Mid knobs on the amp or bass. Everything I've read and the clips I've listened to are reporting really great/respectable results. Add that to a carvin dcm power amp putting out 1000 watts RMS @ 4 Ohms bridged pumping through an Epifani PS410 cab and I should have a KILLER live bass rig!

14. In case anyone was wondering...I HIGHLY recommend the Presonus Eureka "Hot Rod" for a bass preamp. The tone is so clear, it's VERY quiet, the compressor (with the ability to insert before or after eq) is awesome and the control you have is incredible! Having an adjustable Q on each band is just killer! It also drives a power amp extremely well, the output signal is very hot.