Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

behringer bass amp=problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Mar 27, 2004.

1. my bass amp is great its the bx1200 behringer it is 120 watts and it goes out of a 12'' speaker. its great at medium volumes but when i trun this thing up it distorts like crazy is it beacuse the speakers cant handle the power or is it beacuse the amp is clipping. if so how can i fix it

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nope, it cannot be fixed. It is designed to be used in small applications or rehearsing.

3. My BX1200 works great up to about 2/3 volume and, above that, I share your experiences. I just accept that I can't go higher than that and use it primarily as a practice amp. Twice I've used it in small settings of about fifty people and it served well enough. I've had it for eighteen months and it hasn't given me grief, except for the volume restriction.

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    What do you expect from a 120 watt combo.

It's not exactly a SWR Basic Black, which gets as loud as 120 watts will ever sound.

5. There is only one solution to increase the power/sound of your combo:

1. Get a Sansamp bass driver, which will not only increase
    the power and sound versatility;

2. Replace the speaker with a better one, i.e. Eminence
    12" Delta LF with 2.5" voice coil.

that should do the trick, if you're willing/able to spend the money.
    Otherwise, you have no other choice but buying a stronger amp, i.e. the Behringer BX3000T with an affordable Avatar 1x12 or 2x12, very LOUD and good for that price.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Fix it with either:

PA support

or

Telling everyone to turn down!

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :confused: how does an effect box increase the power of an amp? Sure it can alter someones tone if they can't get it from their bass/rig.... but that's it! A 120 watt combo is still a 120 watt combo weither effects are used or not.

8. I'd only ever use a 120Watt for reshearsing or small indoor gigs. That;s not based on past experience, just knowledge I have gained from spending hours reading past and present topics on subjects like this on TB :)

As for Behringer, I have a Behringer 15 Watt and it's great for it's purpose. I've not a bad word to say against Behringer.

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I've been playing for over 30 years and have done numerous gigs with 50 watt amps. Keep in mind that a 100 watt amp is not twice as loud as a 50 watt amp. I used a B-15 for many gigs.

10. I don't know what to believe to be honest. I remember one quote from someone:

"If anyone tell you they have been playing for x number of years on less than 150watts then they are either lying or they like to get noobs of to a bad start"

It's so confusing for a noob like me :meh:

11. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Many years ago when I first began playing in a band, I did not have much money and had pretty much crapola for gear. But I played fairly good sized venues 300 plus people in a large building as well as much more than that at open air Beach parties and I did it all with a Hondo II professional 4 string and a 50 watt 15" Yamaha combo. The key was to mike the combo and run it through the P.A. :eek: Shocking what you can make due with.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Not exactly how I would expect a "great" amp to be characterized. Bottom line, you need at least 300 watts to be serious, and 600 to play out.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    it's all relative to the type of music!!!!

I've made do with less then 300 watts for years myself (since 1980). I've actually been too hot on stage pushing 180 watts into a 12". Unless you play in a "Wall of Distortion" band or some such... a combo is usually enough.

Keep in mind, my opinion is a minority here and a bigger louder rig DOES have more advantages then the limitations of a little combo.

14. Would you recommend relying on the place you are gigging to have a PA system??

Seems a little risky bu at 17, no money, no job it depresses me when I see the price of all these heads, speaker cabs, pre amps, power amps etc....

Behringer offers hope for people like me, thats why I like them :)

*Man did I save that from going off topic :D *

15. That was on the Would This Be Sensible Thread and he was being sarcastic.

16. Good memory.

But how do you know he was being sarcastic??

Quote from, sorry forgot the name, had a monkey in his avatar.
    Doesn't sound too sarcastic.

17. Obviously you haven't tried the Sansamp. Check out the specs and you will see that it has also a volume knob, that increases the power output/volume output of your amp.
    I've been using one for years.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I have a few times... they're ok. and NO THEY DON'T! They increase the *Input* to the preamp... and they can push some poweramps... but they DO NOT add any extra power to the power section of a combo AT ALL!

19. Quote:
    Originally Posted by JSCHRO7376
    Obviously you haven't tried the Sansamp. Check out the specs and you will see that it has also a volume knob, that increases the power output/volume output of your amp.
    I've been using one for years.

Now, this is indeed interesting. I have both the BX1200 combo and the SansAmp Bass Driver DI. Since I use them in different environments, I've never tried them together. I'm going to have to do it and see for myself if there's any improvement to the BX's volume. I use the SABDDI as a direct to PA box and I use the BX1200 as a practice amp at home.

20. ok, Spedding yours doesn't and mine does, happy now?
    try to use the volume knob