Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer Bass V-AMP PRO Rack Vs. ART Nightbass SE

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pickbass, Mar 2, 2006.

1. pickbass

pickbass

Mar 2, 2006
    Hey all. I've been playing through an ART Nightbass for years and have loved the sound and versatility of it. Problem is after all this time it's starting to develop problems like solder joints going bad on the jacks and the LCD finally going out.

I'm wondering if anyone here has used both the Nightbass and the Behringer V-AMP PRO rack preamp. Does the V-AMP sound anywhere near as good or even better or should I continue to fix the Nightbass and use it?

Thanks in advance,
    Greg

2. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    There is a guy on EBAY who sells displays for the nightbass. $25 delivered. If you like the ART unit I think you would be disappointed in the Vamp vs. Nightbass. BTW I own an SGX2000 Express. The PODxt Pro was here and shipped out quickly. No contest IMHO, but YMMV.

3. pickbass

pickbass

Mar 2, 2006
    Thanks for the advice. I have one of the displays on order. He said they should be here by Monday. That means I'll have to do 2 gigs without my beloved Nightbass.

Problem is it has now developed another problem. On the LED display it is showing the tuner display as if a note is tuned too low and nothing is connected to it. I also can't change presets in any way from the front panel. My midi cables are in the bands van so I can't check what is going on that way either. Very strange since I have never had a problem like this before.

4. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    I don't know which display you got, but mine is the blue with white letters. . . . .very visible!

Is ART aware of your problem. They might have a clue as to what's going on. They have always responded within a reasonable time frame to any questions I sent their way. It may be an easy fix such as replacing the front panel PCB board. If you like the tone you get from the Nightbass, it may well be worth it to ship it to them for a complete once over. It would cost a bit, but may be less than a new B Vamp.

5. yeah, let ART know...i once emailed Thom about my X-15 about my X-15 having a bent piece (the plastic wah indicator) and he sent me five more and gave me some stickers too!
    very nice people at ART...

6. pickbass

pickbass

Mar 2, 2006
    I've already sent an email to ART. Just waiting for a reply and figured maybe someone here had theirs do that before and could point me in the direction of the problem. By the way, the display I'm getting is the blue one with white letters.

I really didn't/don't want to get a vamp i just can't afford much of anything else right now since my income consists of unemployment and gig money for right now. Barely enough to live on as it is.

Greg

7. i'd stick with the ART...I have the Nightbass SE, and i like it a lot...although i am considering trading it for an MPX G2...I think you'd be happier with the ART more than the VAMP, although the VAMP does have a synth setting, i think the overall quality of ART is better than Behringer