Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer Bass V-AMP: what do you think?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by r6mile, Mar 5, 2006.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I have had one for a couple of years and i only ever use it at home for practice apart form one gig where i used it as a multi effects unit and it seemed to work and sound ok.
    I had a basspod XT but sold it when i got the V-amp. the main advantage the v-amp has is that it has stereo line in so i can plug my MD in for learning songs via headphones.
    I would say that there can be a bit of back ground noise if you arent carefull but other than that i think its very good value fo r money. one thing to watch out for is the internal battery going flat, mine goes every 4-6 months

2. I have the rack unit, and I use it for home recording and silent play with headphones. DO NOT GET IT FOR EFFECTS There are only a few that are passable, and you would be much happier with a dedicated floor effects unit. The amp models are decent, and you can tweak some great tones out of them. The only model I can A/B with are the "Golden Tone"(?) that is supposed to be an Eden model. It sounds OK (I like it), but NOT as an Eden sim.

So..get it if you want the I/O and sims, but there are much better multi effects. I have not messed with programming my own effects and patches, but I plan on using this unit extensively with my band when my drummer gets his electronic kit for headphone practice.

3. I have one and I hate it. It worked fine for a few months, and then it started randomly garbling all my presets. Not just revert back to default settings, no, nothing that useful. It would destroy my presets and make a lot of useless sounds. I'm using a BOSS ME-50B now, and there is no comparison. Granted, my ME-50B cost me twice as much, but it has so far served me 100 times better, and it sounds infinitely better.

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    yep, thats the battery going. cant figure out why but its a known problem (then again some people dont have it)

5. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I had one and got rid of it. There was a delay in switching patches sometimes accompanied by a loud pop. I also had the problem with the pre-sets being garbled sometimes. I thik some of the problems with the garbled presets comes from a lose retainer for the battery but I wasn't going to open the unit fix it.

6. Perhaps you're right, but why can't I replace the battery? For that matter, why can't the local Behringer DEALER replace the battery? And why did the battery only last me for the few months that I used the thing?

It just seems like Behringer is so preoccupied with stealing other people's designs that they don't put any thought into making "their" products work.

7. landa

landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe
    I curently have one, & I noticed a delay from swithcing between effects & even sound pops! thats why I ordered an MXR M-80, after all I do not need that much effects & sims. I am only gonna use it at home with my PC for some song layouts.
    Sounds are not that bad, I beleive there are better stuff on the market, but for that price I think it is worth it.
    For gigs, I'm afraid it is not the best effets. If you use a lot of different effects you might have problems, but if you just use a sim all the way, it should be fine.
    On the behringher website, there are some details about how to upgrade the firmware. That might solve the problem of the swithcing delay, but I am not sure.
    good luck

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    you can. you only have to take a few screws out to change the battery
    Agree that its a bad design though

9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have the rack mount version - it's a really good pice of kit. Amp and cab modelling great, effects a bit of a mix, some okay, some a bit weak. Very versatile, takes considerable effort to really investigate what it can do but worth spending some time on this. Really useful for me gigging live on bass and also for recording - only way I can get a decent guitar sound at home (guitar - V amp - usb interface - cubase).

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I own the stompbox version...XVamp...which is based on the guitar V-amp but I use it for recording bass as well as guitar. Works fine and for $70 it's way beyond Zoom or DigiTech stuff mainly because it has actual knobs instead of endless menus!!!

I don't use the effects other then compression and (sometimes) tremelo, I'm really after the amp sims. I doubt they sound like the actual amps they claim to model but I can dial up plenty of usable sounds. Yes, I can get decent bass amp tones. I typically find a preset that's close to what I want, shut off all the FX and dial it in from there. I've never bothered to save any presets of my own.

If I was buying today I'd get the regular V-amp since it's only $100 now (it was over $150 when I sprung for the XVamp) and has even more knobs (good).

I don't think I'd trust it for gig use, though.