1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Behringer BDI21 and fretless?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vikunja, Oct 24, 2005.

1. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway
    I've got a Fender Japan 62'RI fretless jazzbass which I think is great, but I think I need a bit more sound colouring and more sound output with a new preamp. As I've read great things about the Behringer BDI21, I was wandering if anyone has used it with a passive fretless bass?

2. I cannot comment on use with a fretless-passive, but I've been using one of these for about 3 weeks now, and I really like it.
    I'm using it with a ESP F-204 fretted, active 3-bandEQ, running it into a Behringer BX3000T head and Peavey EQ31 into a homebuilt 2x15+tweeter cab.

I never really had any sound-shaping problems, but I decided to try the BDI anyway.
    I can get a nice fat-warm sound with this unit, something I never really could find before. My higher notes/frets always seemed to sound too bright and tinny before. I could thicken them up with amp and EQ controls, but not without affecting the lower notes which were already thick and fat enough.
    I like the frequency range of the treble and bass controls. Not harsh or super-bassy. The drive control lets me overdrive a bit, with a growly bite to the sound if wanted. It's not noisy, introducing only a slight amount of hiss if you really push the controls.
    After alot of experimenting, I hooked up my rig without the BDI. Man, what a difference. I had become spoiled.
    I guess if I had to describe what it does for me, I'd say it gives a fat tube amp sound, much like what Behringer says it does.
    Might be something that you would like, depending on what you are actually looking for..

Mag...