Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer BDI21 and fretless?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vikunja, Oct 24, 2005.

1. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway
    I've got a Fender Japan 62'RI fretless jazzbass which I think is great, but I think I need a bit more sound colouring and more sound output with a new preamp. As I've read great things about the Behringer BDI21, I was wandering if anyone has used it with a passive fretless bass?

2. I cannot comment on use with a fretless-passive, but I've been using one of these for about 3 weeks now, and I really like it.
    I'm using it with a ESP F-204 fretted, active 3-bandEQ, running it into a Behringer BX3000T head and Peavey EQ31 into a homebuilt 2x15+tweeter cab.

I never really had any sound-shaping problems, but I decided to try the BDI anyway.
    I can get a nice fat-warm sound with this unit, something I never really could find before. My higher notes/frets always seemed to sound too bright and tinny before. I could thicken them up with amp and EQ controls, but not without affecting the lower notes which were already thick and fat enough.
    I like the frequency range of the treble and bass controls. Not harsh or super-bassy. The drive control lets me overdrive a bit, with a growly bite to the sound if wanted. It's not noisy, introducing only a slight amount of hiss if you really push the controls.
    After alot of experimenting, I hooked up my rig without the BDI. Man, what a difference. I had become spoiled.
    I guess if I had to describe what it does for me, I'd say it gives a fat tube amp sound, much like what Behringer says it does.
    Might be something that you would like, depending on what you are actually looking for..

Mag...