1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Behringer BDI21 or EHX Bass Metaphors

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thyjesterace, May 15, 2018.

1. thyjesterace

thyjesterace

Feb 6, 2014
    So those are my options right now.. which one should I get?

2. Nick von Nick

Nick von Nick Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Upstate NY
    In the past, I've seen the EHX Bass Metaphors receive some extremely poor grades. That said, I had one on my board for a few years, and I liked a few aspects of it, especially that I could mix the dry/wet signal, affect the intensity of the equalization, and that it was stupidly simple to sculpt the sound to fit the setting. I never touched the distortion or the "squash" switch to flip on the compression. They introduced too much noise.

There are better options out there, but I think the Metaphors' easy-to-use/modify aspects made it a great player in my book!
    ~Nick von Nick

3. Do you want an always on sound cloned from an industry standard device on stages and studios (the Sansamp BDDI) that gives you a tubey, scooped, almost metallic tone (which can be dialled back), or a more generic preamp with a compressor and a more midrangey overdrive that's switchable?

I say BDI-21 if you lean more towards hard rock / metal sounds, but you haven't really given us much to go on!

There are also a lot more options in that price bracket you might not have considered.

4. Dannybuoy pretty much said what I would have about the bdi-21.

As for the Metaphor, I owned one for a few days and returned it. EQ not so useful, I hated that specific drive and the compressor was so noisy.

Do you need an XLR out? If not, though it’s a digital multieffect, the Zoom B1on is cheap and packed with great sounds! The comp and eq settings are flexible and not noisy at all. The drive settings and amp simulations compare favorably with the options you are considering.

5. thyjesterace

thyjesterace

Feb 6, 2014
    I wanna use it as a DI and Preamp with an interface, to shape the tone a little bit.
    And I am looking for a metallic sound with some overdrive.

6. BDI21 sounds like a good bet then, but if you just want to use it with a recording interface, try this freeware plugin that also clones the Sansamp:

TSE Audio - Software

7. thyjesterace

thyjesterace

Feb 6, 2014
    I have A LOT of plugins and softwares such as AmpliTube, BIAS FX, MarkBass, EZMix, IK Ampeg, Mark Studio...
    But I wanted to also own a physical one, nothing too fancy.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  8. Sure, but that plugin should sound very close to the real thing, so you can give it a whirl as a 'try before you buy' deal!

The Hartke Bass Attack should be on your radar too.

9. What about the Ampeg Scrambler DI? The TC Electronic Spectra Drive?

10. thyjesterace

thyjesterace

Feb 6, 2014
    By the way, what is an XLR output used for? Compared to the regular 1/4 Jack.

11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    This seems like a no brainer. the bass metaphor would be a good choice. behringer is more suitable for beginners.

12. thyjesterace

thyjesterace

Feb 6, 2014
    I've only seen bad reviews for the EHX

13. I have a BDI21 and I have been gigging with it for years, now it has put my Sansamp in the backup position, because it sounds as good and if it dies tomorrow, they are so affordable. As for durability I have had this since the early 2000's the same one and it hasn't (knock wood) fail me yet.
    here is my picture proof cause I know how you guys can be ha ha ha
    upload_2018-5-18_8-38-43. upload_2018-5-18_8-40-6.

14. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    BDI21 sounds great and works really well - and it's so cheap you don't have much to lose.

can't comment on the Bass Metaphors.

spatchthepunk likes this.
  15. There are plenty of non-beginners using this pedal (see two posts up!), simply because it sounds good. Sure some Behringer stuff is ropey, but certainly not this one. If the OP is after a metallic sounding overdrive this will fit the bill nicely!

16. thyjesterace

thyjesterace

Feb 6, 2014
    Thank you all for the help, I ordered the Behringer BDI21

17. F that. Nothing wrong with Behringer.

knumbskull and spatchthepunk like this.
  18. Good choice. I personally hated the metaphor, but it’s a personal taste question.

19. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Don't get me wrong. I have heard a lot of praises on the behringer bdi21. it's just that I had some friends who advise me to keep away from behringer. they always told me that it's more for beginners than advanced players. but listening to some demos of some of their pedals, it's not too shabby. when It comes to cheap pedals, I went with danelectro in the past. and I do like their chorus pedals very much. but other than that, they're really not that bad at all.

20. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Oh no. not at all. one reason why I suggested the bass metaphor is that one of my friends always kept advising me not to get a behringer ever. he thinks they aren't that great. second reason is that I looked up a demo of this pedal and thought it sounded great. besides that, I have heard a lot of praises on the bdi21(considering it's a sansamp clone) and listening to the pedal itself based on youtube clips I've looked up, it's actually sounded great for a cheap pedal. but based on some of my friend's opinions on behringer products(some like them and some don't), I would think the behringer brand is an acquired taste.