Behringer BDI21

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gallient Knight, Aug 18, 2005.

1. OK mods I will do my part to keep this clean.

I recently had my beloved GK700 amp break (for the 2nd time in as many years HELP DANIEL ) during pratice. Our pratice studio houses a number of bands and by chance a Behringer Rep. When my amp died we took a break and I went over to J0E's Room to see what he had laying around.

He handed me a clear plastic box with a pedal looking device inside. He said try it. Plug it into a power amp and let me know what you think.

I did as instructed and was very pleased with the results.

For those that don't know what the BDI 21 is, its basically a bass preamp. On off switch, typical tone controls, XLR out put (yeah its also a fairly good direct box).

Frankly I wasn't expecting it to sound like much, but really I am now debating using this with a power amp as most of my setup.

The tone is fairly clean over all, but the thing I like about it over some of the "modeling" devices, is that my P bass still sounds like a P bass, and my washburn version music man still has its personality as well. It does do a bit of the tube emulation thing so it can have a little dirt to it if you want it.

The only thing I would change : Make it go +4 with a switch or something, I had to run it through a channel strip on our mixer to get the output level right.

In short, @ a street price of about $35 dollars its a good DI, a good pre-amp, might be really fun with an Upright.

PS: I also got to try out the Acoustic guitar version of this pedal. It's even better!!!! ( but alas, this is not "TalkAcousticGuitar" now is it :bassist:
  2. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I've been thinking about picking one up. At that price, I figured it was worth seeing how it sounds. I just haven't done it yet for some reason. lol
  3. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    wow, Ironic timing on this post.

I purchased the BDI21 as soon as they came out and just messed around with it at home with good results.

When I was packing my gear for this weekends show I tossed the BDI21 into my mic bag to take with me. I had previously taken my Bass V-amp Pro out of my rack to replace the internal battery and I had not put it back in the rack.

For fun, I setup my rig and plugged the BDI21 into the input on my EP1500 power amp, set everything flat and hooked up my bass. I clicked the BDI21 so it would be in active mode and then turned up the level control and......

It works, the BDI21 has a strong enough output to drive the EP1500. I could have easily used it as a preamp for my rig. I didn't mess with it too long since we were still setting up but in the little time I did, I had a good sound coming out of the rig with no more tweaking (i basically set all the control "straight up") and had plenty of volume for the room. I may play a set with it just for fun sometime.

I'l may have to get a second one to keep with the rig incase I ever need an emergency preamp.

Oh, back at the house the BDI21 also works well with my Ergo Electric upright. (I bought the ADI21 "acoustic" version for the upright though, hope to give it a test spin pretty soon)
  4. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I purchased a BDI to improve the sound of my Squier precision 5. Made a huge difference to an inexpensive bass. Yesterday I put a set of Bartolini's in the Squier thinking that the BDI would not make as much difference with the mod. It still made a huge difference in the sound. Great $30 investment for a mid life newbie.

The rig has really improved in sound and drive with these 2 additions. I think the next thing on my list for this newbie is a compressor.
  5. Vysous

Mar 29, 2005
    I own this thing approx. 3 months, I a can say I am quite pleased with it it. It doesn't sound great, but it sounds better then nothing :)... I use it to drive my sound a bit, add some low-end... Sound is much better, it is much more deeper, richer. But. It will kill dynamics of your playing a bit.... I switch it off while slapping, soloing etc.... I use it only when backing in the band.... But, for that price??? I won't probably give it away, it's quite useful...
  6. TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    I agree with you. I've been experimenting with one as well.

Instead of using a mixer channel strip, I simply dropped it into a ART Tube MP. That get's the level up, I run the TubeMp as clean as possible, but you could drive it's tube a little heavier for grit if you so chose.

7. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Gallient Knight & TL5: What are the power amps you used when taking the BDI21 directly into the power amp?

Judging by my experiment with the BDI21 and the EP1500, I could have played the gig without needing anything else to boost the signal from the BDI21 to the amp. SO Iwas wondering what amps you were using? I know some amps have a weaker input stage, so if your preamp did not put out a strong enough signal you didn't get a lot of sound out.
  8. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I have one too. For $35 its great.
    like i said in another post, its not as good as the Sansamp. Not as well built,and the controls aren't as sensitive.
    But for $35 its good enough. I just use it to fatten up the tone a bit.The Sansamp is great and I've owned a couple. But the price tag is a big turnoff now. Even used at over $125.
  9. TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    My poweramp is an older Biamp CPA650.

It's actually a commercial PA poweramp.
    I have it bridged mono so it's 650 watts into 8ohms.

I ran the BDI21 on an experiment w/o the ART preamp.. yeah it works. It wasn't as responsive as I thoughtit should be. It is with the preamp in there. EXAMPLE: The main reason for using the BDI21 is to have the tone/presence controls. I was really having to move the control to the extreme to get a little bit of tonal adjustment. After i inserted the ART Preamp, subtle moves were clear. Just my experience YMMV.
  10. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Cool, thats the kind of information I was looking for. I didn't have a whole lot of time to experiment with the setup, I just knew that I could play a gig with that combo (BDI21 and EP1500) if I had too. I'll go back later and and see how much effect the controls have tone wise.
  11. i used a QSC PLX3402,for my test
  12. I seem to be the only person that didn't like it.

I ran it through the Pa as well as my bass-amp, and it didn't do anything for me. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. I sent it back.
  13. TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    I agree with that. The Sansamp controls are more responsive, especially w/o the preamp between the device and the poweramp - IMHO-YMMV