Behringer BX 1200 Ultrabass Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Imaheathen, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Imaheathen

Sep 6, 2005
    Hi, first of all i want to introduce myself. Im a half german, half american from Germany and actually wanted to play guitar. Then i got a bass in my hands i loved it so much. so now i want to buy myself a amp for a bass. I was wondering, has anybody played with the behringer ultrabass BX 1200 amp an dis it worth its price.

Ive got a Ibanez GSR 200 Bass
    play Grunge, punk, alternative Rock
    and a budget of around 200$

If you can suggest any other model i'd be more than happy to hear it. Thanks a lot in advance. C U The Heathen
  2. It's hard to beat Behringer prices. If you have a small budget the behringer is probably a great way to go.

Is this only for practice? or do you plan to play out with it?

I found that the speaker distorted too easily and could only be played to about 6/10 on the volume before the speaker started barking/farting out.

Are you still in Germany? What other brands do you have access to?
  3. Welcome to TalkBass!
    I've used the Behringer combo for small jazz gigs. It's got a lot
    of useful features, but the "Dynamizer" bass boost is pretty
    useless in my experience.
    It's got plenty of power for practice and small gigs, especially
    if you've got PA support.

If you fill out your profile, people around here can help you
    much more when you have questions. ;)
  4. Imaheathen

Sep 6, 2005
    I'll do that soon. What about one of the amps from the sister company of ampeg. Don't know the name right now. I've heard htey should have graet amps too. U guys got any experience with theirs?
  5. Are you referring to Crate? If so, I would stick with Behrenger
  6. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Considering my personal experiences with Crate and Behringer, as well as the reports of others, the Crate would be a much better choice, purely for reliability issues.

Speaking of which, could you spring for a used Peavey combo?
  7. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    i'm a guitarist that started dabbling with the bass about six months ago.

I picked up a (ridiculously cheap) MIM Jazz standard, and soon, I realized i REALLY needed an amp, even for just around the house- this wasn't cutting it!

So, I weighed my options, I figured i'd go separate head and cabinet... on the used market, for like 400 bucks I could get a really solid setup that'd handle a gig. (i figured used hartke 410xl and 200 bucks on a to-be-determined head, probably a gk400rb)

Anyway, then I found someone selling a BX1200 used for $100 (USD). I figured i'd go for it.

I'm glad I did. It's a great little amp. I haven't played this with a band, but I'm confident it could handle keeping up with a drummer in rehearsal (unless the room was terrible), and it could handle providing STAGE VOLUME ONLY at a small gig with a drummer. The amp has a DI out (XLR balanced) so if there's a PA, it's VERY easy to get this amp into your mains.

But, I got a little itchy, and was reminded of my original desire for a head/cab pair. I found a used Eden Nemesis 410 cab for 225 shipped (Thanks Jesse!). I've hooked the BX1200 up to this thing (instead of its built in speaker)...

WOW- people need to run this amp through another cabinet before they criticize the tone or the effectiveness of the octave effect... hahah (i still don't like the octave effect, but that's another story)

The moral of the story? It's not a bad amp. It sounds really quite good. The stock speaker isn't terrible. If you're looking to do a lot of gigs with it, it's probably not the amp for you. But for a home and band practice amp? It's a good pick- especially if your budget is limited to $200.

yes- behringer is an evil corporation... blah blah blah. I'd prefer they not have my money, so I won't buy from them new. But I believe in the quality of this product enough that I'd buy it used... if that makes sense.

people's complaints with behringer are rarely about the quality of the product ("but, uhm, my friend's friend had one go up in flames!").

It's not a professional level product, it's not claiming to be. It's a cheap combo that'll give you good sound and a lot of flexibility starting out.
  8. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I've seen a local Zydeco band and the bassist uses that combo with a 1-15" Peavey cab underneath. I'm not sure if he di'ed also but they sounded great outside at our county fair. He was playing a P bass with fender flatwounds.
  9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The first amp I bought was the bx1200. Yes, it does sound pretty good, definitely loud enough for band practice IME. However, I played one practice session (2hrs) and then brought it to the next rehearsal after one hour it totally crapped out. All I got was a steady, loud hum. Thats it. So in total the amp lasted 3 HOURS!

If you buy one make sure you are able to return it at no cost to you. I was lucky it died in the first two weeks I owned it and I was able to get a full refund.

So yeah, the reliability issues are a genuine concern. I would not buy another one. Its a risk IMO.
  10. Imaheathen

Sep 6, 2005
    Well, I think I'll go with the Crate amp. I got myself some advice from a bass player that plays in tons of bands and he recommended me the Crate amp. Maybe it'll cost me about 300$ but thats fine. I'll just have to stop smoking and that's also a wise decision. Thanks a lot for your help. Rock on!!!
  11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    When you are ready to upgrade, get the best amp rig you can afford. Alot of people, including myself, have bought all these "in between" amps and it costs them way more money. If you buy the proper amp in the first place it will save you a ton.
  12. Imaheathen

Sep 6, 2005
    Well, im hoping that thats what im doing right now. I really hope i can enjoy my amp. Oh yeah, i still live in germany and im starting my associates degree right now even though im only 17. C u The Heathen