1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Behringer BX1200 + Carvin 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassman316, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Hey guys.... I have a question (I've tried searching, but didn't find anything). Right now I'm using my Behringer BX 1200 which is a 120W 1x12 combo mostly for practicing and occasionally jamming with my buddy. Talking on the phone with him yesterday, he said he might be able to get us playing small live gigs in and around Raleigh, which is cool. Right now I don't have a whole lot of bread, but would still like to get a little more volume for when we start playing. On Craigslist for Myrtle Beach (which is close to where I live) there is a Carvin 2x10 cab for sale. I know next to nothing about hooking up amps and cabs and combos and this and that- will my 120 watt combo be enough to push both the 12-inch speaker in my combo plus the 2 10's? :confused: Or should I just keep saving and get something bigger and better down the road? I'm one confused mofo. Help!

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have an old Carvin redline 210 that is not a bad cab at all. Many on here don't like that cab but . . .

There's a local player (that is very good) that plays that head and an Avatar 210. He sounds really good through it.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    For years I used a RL210 for my smaller (but loud!) gigs when I didn't feel like dragging the big rig out. It handled low B/A just fine as long as I didn't run too much low-end EQ, had a good midbass hump that filled things out, and really sounded nice either clean or with overdrives and distortion with the tweeter cranked back at around 9-or10--o'clock. It also sounded great with a custom 15 cab I built. Just make sure you don't hook up an ohm load that is too low for your power section; the RL210 is 4 ohms.

I tried Eminence DeltaliteII 2510 neo drivers in it for awhile (the cab tuning was already good for that) but the difference was slight so I went back to the Carvin/Eminence OEM drivers.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Does your combo have an ext spkr output? If it does, and the impedence matches, you can use the 210. Otherwise, it's probvably time to start saving.

5. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Yeah, luckilly the BX1200 does have an external speaker output. I checked out Carvin's website for the specs on the model cab the guy is selling off of Craigslist, and it's 4 ohm impedence which is the same as my combo. One of the things I know (I think, anyway)about hooking up speakers to amps and such is that the impedence has to match between the combo and the extension cab in my case. I suppose the 120 watts from my combo would do the job then, right?