Behringer BX1200, is it any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nitrous3a8, Nov 26, 2003.

1. nitrous3a8

Nov 26, 2003
    i was thinking about buying a Behringer BX1200, its not to much $$$, and it has eerything i want, anyone got any thing to say about it, good or bad?
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It's the quietest 120 watts you'll ever hear. :meh:
  3. nitrous3a8

Nov 26, 2003
    really, cause i heard it was really good for 120, u got one, or just heard it?
  4. Sabertooth

Oct 16, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Well, I can't rate the 120-Watter, but overall Behringer Ultrabass range is nice, and even great, considering the prices. I own a BX600 (use it as a practice amp) and it is much, much better than some other brands' practice amps that cost more even at a lower wattage rating, e.g. Fender Bassman 25. The value is just unprecedented.
  5. until it dies that is
  6. Sabertooth

Oct 16, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Why dies? I own mine probably for a year, and no signs of dying so far. Neither have I heard about such cases. Have you?
  7. I too have a BX600, and I'd have to say, it defines "bang for the buck". It's just as good as many amps of the same wattage that are twice its price. I'd guess it would be the same story with all their amps. I'd go for it, man.
  8. That's what the technician in the shop warned me for... also behringer equipment has a name for breaking down

and when I was in the market for amps I did a through search on the net for them, emough bad experiences around and tales of bad customer support

can't find them rightaway though, it,s nicely priced though
  9. Sabertooth

Oct 16, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Well, maybe. I can only speak about my personal experience. The build quality looks OK on my amp.
    And then, there's such a thing as warranty.
  10. I've had mine for about sixteen months and it shows no signs of dying yet either. I use my BX1200 as a practice amp, occasionally a stage monitor, and also for a few small performances. I normally, for larger groups, use an Ampeg B5R through a 4x10 cab and the BX1200, of course, doesn't compete with that. Anyway, the BX1200 puts out a lot of sound for its size. It's a very clean sound if that's what you are looking for, although, one can EQ a wide range of tones with it. It doesn't seem to develop the deep, low, booming tone that fills and shakes the room as does the Ampeg, but I do like the BX. If you do try to EQ it for a deep, low, booming tone and you try playing on the low-B string of a fiver, it'll clip at about 2/3 volume. It'll handle the low-B, just not very well above 2/3 volume. The BX1200 seems rock solid and I believe it to be a good value. It's a hefty chunk for it's size. Don't think you can easily pick it up and carry it around with your little finger.
  11. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I just bought one of these for the heck of it. It was primarily intended to be used as a practice amp (so I wouldn't have to spend time setting up, and breaking down, my regular rigs in the living room before and after gigs). I also intended to use it for those softer volume living room jam sessions.

Be advised that it's no light weight combo. So, it will probably stay in my living room as the practice amp; it's a bit heavy for my liking as far as lugging it around using its one handle. The tone is OK. You get what you pay for here. While it doesn't sound anywhere as deep, warm, or hi-fi as more expensive combos, the tone is decent and usable. It has a nice punch to it. The 120 watts... I've read somewhere in this forum that Behringer used a higher THD rating in determining the wattage rating for this amp; this may have allowed them to publish a wattage rating that looked higher than other brands (in concept, a 60 watt amp rated at a lower THD might put out the same power/volume as another amp rated at 120 watts based on a higher THD). I'll defer to the tech TBers to explain this stuff. I've never confirmed this though, it's just rumor. The volume is adequate for most soft to medium volume applications, but it's definitely not meant for super loud enviroments (jamming with guys running a Marshall stack, Boogie, or Twin Reverb, etc.).

I got to try it out at a local music store before I bought it. See if you can try one out prior to buying.

Almost forgot, the Shape control is like a contour / mid dip control. The Ultrabass control is an octave effect. Finally, the tilt back feature sets the amp back at a nice angle allowing you hear yourself well.
  12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    This is the first I have ever heard this. We have a whole rack of Behringer stuff.

Compressors, feedback busters, denoisers. We've never had a glitch with any of it. I have no experience with their bass amps, but everything else has been great.

I also have a Behringer MIDI control foot board. It is all solid.
  13. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Actually, the bad rep that Behringer is known for is for sidestepping their own R&D process and outright copying the designs of popular products from other companies. Add to that cheap parts and labor from China and well... You should be able to guess the rest.

For example... the BX1200 is pretty much a ripoff of the Hartke Kickback 12. The BX3000T Head design is taken from the Ashdown Mag 250 head. Their latest power amps (The "Europower" series) are copies of QSC's RMX series of power amps.

Personally, I own a few of their products (V-Amp & an MX-602a mixer) which I am very happy with, but you might want to keep in mind their somewhat less-then-fair business practices when purchasing their products.

- Frank.
  14. Has anyone A/B'd the BX 1200 against the Harke Kickback 12? That'd be where the rubber meets the road...