Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer BX1200 vs. Alesis Bassfire 60 (the $200 shootout)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RyanMitchell, Sep 24, 2005.

1. RyanMitchell

RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
    just wondering what you guys have to say about these 2 combo amps? well my feeling are

Alesis Bassfire 60:

lots of features
    looks cooler in my opinion
    i dunno if 60 watts will overcome drums and the elec guitar amps

Behringer BX1200:

i believe it has twice the wattage as the aleses (120 vs 60)but i am not 100% so have said it's not 120rms but other places have

these are my 2 #1 choices, if only a shop had them so my brother could check them out

thnx for any help

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Not mincing words, if I had $200 and a choice between the two listed amps, I'd get a Tascam CDBT-1 trainer and a decent set of headphones. ;)

60 watts doesn't have a chance in hell of being heard over drums played by a monkey on crack or an electric guitarist, which is tantamount to the same thing. The features won't matter, looking cooler won't matter - I doubt this would do much more than be a decent "bedroom" practice amp or for "unplugged" jams.

I wouldn't put it past Behringer to inflate their numbers, and am in the "political" camp for not giving them my business. I'll leave it to someone else to further comment on them.

If you can save a bit more, you can move into the next level of decent Fender combos, G-K Backlines, and the Ibanez SW65 (I know, but it got a very nice review from BP especially when used with an extension cab)

Unfortunately your wattage/pricerange realistically isn't going to let you be heard in a typical rock band setting. If you can hold off and save some more, the Avatar cabinet/head deals would get you a pretty nice sounding 2x12 and Hartke or Ashdown setup for a very competitive price.

3. i own a behringer BX1200, its nothing special, but for the price its good.
    it can easily handle playing in a band.

normally i play with it only turned up a quarter and thats enough to play with a drummer and guitarist using a 80 watt amp.

if your just a beginner this amp will be fine to start you off!

i bought it coz i needed something powerful that could handle jamming and small gigs, and at the time i didn't have much money and i couldn't wait and save up for something better.

i'm currently saving for a good quality amp and the behringer will just become a practise amp.

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have the Bassfire. The tuner is awesome. I can even tune down to a low B flat (may even go lower, have not tried yet)! The amp and cab modling works well also as does the compressor and limiter. I'm not big on effects but it does have TONS of built in effects also. The unit is pretty loud but you won't know it until you get past 1 o'clock, then it steps up pretty nice. Oh, I forgot to add that I got mine for $144 shipped as an open item special from music123.com. I can't tell that it was ever opened or used. Looks 100% brand new... Great combo for the money.

5. RyanMitchell

RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
    i'm going to a music shop 2morrow and gonna see what they have but i know they don't have either of those 2, thnx for the help

6. RyanMitchell

RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
  7. RyanMitchell

RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
    the amp is for my brother and he plays because he enjoys it and finds it relaxing, he isn't in a band but does play in his house with friends sometimes (drum + 2x elec) but nothing getting too loud or anything, and since he isn't planning on using it for gigs or anything he begun entertaining the idea or this amp "Washburn BD30B 30-Watt Bass Amp " http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/480382/ and picking up some effect pedals, and he will start saving for a better rig after he gets this. he just wants something to play on that actually sounds right

8. RyanMitchell

RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
  9. RyanMitchell

RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
    he tried out the ibanez 65 today and really liked it, but he thinks he might save a lil longer and spend $300 on an amp, whats the best in that price range? some1 suggested a fender rumble 100, there was a problem at the store so he didn't get to try it out

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Fender Rumble 100 is the best $300 combo (new) that I have played....