Behringer BX300

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jstiel, Nov 14, 2004.

1. jstiel

jstiel Jim Stiel

Jun 5, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
    After getting tired of lugging my Workingman’s 12 into low volume gigs, I decided to look at getting a small, lightweight amp. Most of my gigs are piano/bass duos and often with an un-miked medium sized grand in an occasionally noisy dining room setting. Also, I didn’t want to spend a lot of money. If I couldn’t find a cheap one, I was going to continue using the SWR. Although the SWR is a nice, amp, I haven’t been able to get an uncolored sound from it. It tended to be a little muddy and undefined. I use a plywood bass (a Wilfer) with a Full Circle w/no preamp. I realize that a preamp could help and will probably pick one up at some point but I wanted to improve my portability first. I just wanted enough to give me a little boost in sound.

I tried a number of the cheap 30 watt 1x10” combo units at the music stores using an electric they had on hand. However, they all flunked the first test – “farting” on the open E. Then I tried the Behringer BX300. It had a very tight open E sound and was far louder than the other ones I tried. I decided to buy it and try it on that weekend’s gig with the assurance from the sales guy that I could bring it back if didn’t like it with my upright. It cost $119 and weighed about 30 pounds (30 watt 1x10”).

I got it home and plugged it in and at first it sounded like s***. However, after engaging the “shape filter” and leaving its control knob at zero – it sounded great. The sound of the amp actually seemed to melt away and it just seemed like my bass got a lot louder. At lower volumes, I had to get my ear close to the amp to determine just how much was my bass and how much of the sound was coming from the amp – it was that colorless.

I took it to the job and used it Fri and Sat nights. It sounded great on the job too. It was very clear and well defined. It had that woody sound I wanted to hear. Saturday night we had a pretty boisterous crowd (we don’t get no respect) but it still cut through. I played with different piano men each night and they both thought it sounded good. I haven’t tried it with a drummer, but I have a feeling it might be able cut it. In any event, all I was looking for was a little boost in volume and it certainly gave me that. It won’t add a rich bottom to your sound but that’s not what I was looking for. I like the sound of my bass un-amped and wanted to get as close to it as I could without spending an arm and a leg (or even just an arm)

One feature I suspect that helps is that fact that, like the other Behringer’s, it has a 1M ohm input. I haven’t tried a lot of different amps with my double bass but do have experience with my Workingman’s 12 and a Clarus I used at a jam session. I couldn’t get the sound I wanted with either.

I know this sounds crazy – it sounds crazy to me too. A $119 amplifier? Sounding good? Actually, to me it sounded great.

I’m expecting them to come and take me away any minute now.
  2. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    That's interesting. Someone was recommending Behringer to me only a couple of days ago. I don't have a big experience with amplification, but I do need to buy an amp very badly. With all the talk in the amps forum in mind, I was starting to wonder how on earth I was going to be able to try the options - I didn't fancy myself lugging my bass into all the music shops! Or buying what appears to be a good well-reviewed amp - and getting it home to find out I don't like the sound ...

What does the "shape" control actually do? I notice that the BX300 you mention is now only $79.99!!!
  3. jstiel

jstiel Jim Stiel

Jun 5, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
    Are you sure you're looking at the same amp? Looks like its $119 I think just about any reputable shop will let you return an amp if it doesn't cut it for you. I don't really know what the shape control does. All I know is it changes (shapes) the sound. Behringer describes it as a filter. You can go to their website and download the manual in a pdf file at