Behringer BX3000 R.I.P ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnvice, Mar 24, 2005.

1. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I just visited and noticed that their BX3000 $200 bass head is no longer listed.

I bought one of these puppies and was singing its praises...until it caught on fire...during a gig.

I'd be curious if anyone knows why Behringer pulled this product and replaced it with a combo....instead of giving it a decent burial.

- JV
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'd venture a guess that it was a warranty liability, and they opted to discontinue it on that basis. I had a student that had one that fried, was sent back and was fixed, then fried again. I recommended the trash bin after that . . .

I've heard plenty of stories of failures of that head, (as well as the three failed Behringer crossovers my PA company my band uses), but in all fairness I haven't heard a single story of Behringer mixers failing.
  3. they're mixers for recording are about the only thing that work, and i haven't really had a great experience with them (however i was just starting to record, it's a dificult process
  4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    The Behringer BX3000T was reviewed in Bass Player Mag this month. Sure looks like it is a current model with planned longevity. I have one that I've been using at rehearsals for the past year with no problems whatsoever. That was my intended purpose for the amp. Cheap, and good sounding. Not sure I would feel comfortable using it as my main gigging amp, but I have an Ashdown ABM500 EVO for that. the Ashdown has been nothing less than stellar.
  5. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I've heard that their mixers are actually quite efficient. Although I dont think they copied those, because I dont really see many companies selling friggon 2 channel mixers and such.

Maybe they're actually....

(Dare I say it?)

A...... legitimate product.... :eek:
  6. I use a little Berhringer MX 8O2A for my home studio and it has served my purpose nicely. I never would have considered them for Bass because I am a "Harke guy" but I also never knew there was so much contraversy untile I met the people here. Never plugged into a "Behringer" (Cab or amp) so I will never comment on one.
  7. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The left main out on my Behringer mixer died. :( No stereo mix for you!

I guess I should be thankful it didn't catch on fire :eek:

If you look at the MF site, they just got a huge shipment of Behringer B stock in. I like bargains and B stock in general, but you've got to wonder when you see *so many* different Behringer products needing to be refurbed that there's enough for MF to have a big sale.
  8. Im pretty sure the Behringer mixers are re-engineered versions (read rebadged, copied, etc) of Mackie mixers - especially the little ones that are 4 and 2 channels.

BTW, whatever happened to Mackie? Seems their product has dropped off the radar since the Behringers came out :ninja:
  9. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I think Mackie's prices are up in the pro-range right now. Either you have to compile your money up between bandmates, or you have to make money off of your Mackie... beit at a studio at home.

I know I am. I think there's 2 bands in the Freshman class of my highschool. $15/song X 5 songs x 2 bands = $150. Plus, my band can record right in the basement, if we ever write anymore songs and wish to throw it onto our demo.

My 808M is immensely diverse in its functions and has a ton of power to be cranked out. Couldnt be happier:)
  10. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Makes me wonder too. I just got my BX3000T yesterday (after months of waiting). I ordered it before I knew about Behringer, oh well. It was cheap b stock.

I think what made mine b stock is there appears to be a dent in the front, you can feel it but it is hard to see with the carpet.

When I first turned it on I heard a whining noise. Turns out the fan doesn't start turning right away. Might need a replacement fan. I don't have a cabinet yet so I used the line out to my home theater system. Sounds pretty good :)
  11. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Well thats because its B Stock. B Stock comes with a price :-\
  12. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Having a bad fan isn't because it is b stock. As I understand it b stock is due to a blemish. If it had issues that shoud have been caught then fixed it would be listed as refurbished.

it still has warranty. But since it is just a fan, I can replace that for a couple of bucks.
  13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I own a Berhinger mixer and use it to record. It does what I ask it, but I wouldn't take it on the road. It seems sturdy enough, but my guitarist has had some horror stories with Berhinger reliability. I was actually trying to get a Mackie mixer, but every store was sold out.
  14. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    You might want to hold off on Mackie mixers. A friend of mine who works at a local TV station told me that they had just got a mixer for local monitor use that was a mackie and that they promptly sent it back. He said that they had found out that they had moved their production overseas and that their quality control has plummeted. I personally own an old Mackie SR 24/4 that has never given me a problem and I have not verifed any of this. This could all be heresay, take it for what it is worth. Just passing on the info.
  15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've heard that quality is down as well, but I can't say for sure, as nobody would sell me one. I don't think quality would be as low as Berhinger though. Its really hard to find a mixer not made in China these days. :meh:
  16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

Seeing as how the Behringer seems to be a "clone" of Ashdown's MAG heads, I'm curious how you think the two heads compare tonally.
  17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Tonally - DAMN CLOSE. I don't have the 'identical' Ashdown versus comparable BEhringer head. But the Tone of the Behringer is very very good. Especially when using the SHAPE and DEEP buttons.

I have the Ashdown ABM500EVO and the BEhringer BX3000T. That is like comparing an AShdown ABM amp to their MAG amps. Similar, but different. My Ashdown has TONS more power by design. The little Behringer is fine for my rehearsasal space and small quiet gigs, but I honestly don't think it has enough power to drive a single 8 ohm cab to the volumes of some of my gigs. Quiet stuff sure. But when I need to punch, it clips a bit. Not the fault of Behringer. My guess is the comparable ashdown MAG would also be powered the same.
  18. Colarndo

Mar 7, 2004
  19. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    If the BX3000T bites the dust then I wonder if there will ever be a BX6000T that we have all been waiting for. :eek: