Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer BX3000T Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigEarl, Jan 20, 2004.

1. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Okay, my BX3000T came in on Saturday, and I spent the better part of Sunday and Monday tweaking it. I must say over all I'm quite happy.

The good....

I could start with the price, but that's been beaten to death. I'd rather start with the audible reasons why I'm glad I bought this amp. For one, this baby is LOUD! I was surprised at how much louder the BX3000T's 300 watts were into my homebrew speakers than other amps I have at my disposal. During A/B tests of the BX3000T against a GK 700RB and an Ashdown ABM-500 (both borrowed), it seemed louder, with more presence, than either of the other two! Maybe I've just gotten lucky on the cab/speaker combination (2 vented Paradise cabs, 2 8 ohm Eminence Kappa 12's) but this baby has headroom to spare!

I was very concerned about the obvious coloration of the BX3000T, and how it would sound under a load (with a full band.) I must say that when the band levels finally overtook my original settings, all I had to do was hit the "Deep" switch and BAM! I was sonically in-the-pocket again. The really neat part is that now I truly have headroom to match just about anything (within reasonable limits) in the clubs that I play.

Another nice touch is the "Ultra Bass". Basically just an octave below the note (usable to about A, any lower and it starts to crap out) I won't use it much, but it could sure be handy in a pinch for a lead up the neck. Another feature is the "Shape" knob, which when turned gives you a sweep to radically change your sound on the fly (or quickly setup a second bass) both of these work off a supplied foot switch.

The bad....

The first thing I noticed after setting everything flat and plugging in was the noise! When A/B testing with the GK there is no comparison, the GK is hella quieter. But with the ABM-500, I got the SAME noise!! Obviously Behringer was very accurate in their supposed "reproduction" of the Ashdown ABM, cuz they nailed the noise perfectly!!

Also, the GK is "colorless" what goes in - comes out with not much influence. The BX3000T, on the other hand, sonically reminds me of the Ashdown ABM series, a lot of coloration on the bottom end, with a low end robustness that may not be desired (especially with my standup ...but I haven't yet plugged it in to the BX3000T.)

One more thing, it's surprisingly heavy. 30 lbs to haul around, but it's in a frontless/backless case, seems pretty well built, but almost twice the weight of the GK!

The Ugly.....

A lot of people are turning their noses up at this product because it bears a striking resemblance to the Ashdown amp, and quite possibly was re-engineered from the Ashdown design. I don't know that for a fact, but I do know that a decent Ashdown is gonna cost you around a grand, and even though they are superbly built and meticulously R&D'd, I don't have that kind of money ...But I do have $199.00, and you can buy this from various online dealers, some without shipping and tax ...and a 30 day satisfaction guarantee to boot!

Also, it should be noted that I have not gigged with this unit yet, nor have I had to deal with customer service. All of the comments I have made above are initial impressions (having only had the unit for three days!) I felt it was necessary to get this info out seeing that there were tons of people interested but no one buying and posting.

In conclusion....

I've been playing for 27 years on a semi-professional level (just can't seem to shake that day job!) I do not work for Behringer, or any dealer. Simply put, this amp is going to make my life a lot easier and it didn't hairlip me to buy it. But I reserve the right to append my comments if the need arises.

Hope this helps.

2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    thanks for the review

3. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Great Review. Thank YOU!

I too bought a BX3000 head. Coincidentally, I also own an Ashdown ABM500 EVO. My experience is that neither my Ashdown or Behringer are noisy. Hmm? I'm using a Modulus Quantum 5 with EMG humbuckers. Could that be the reason mine is quiet and yours is not?

My Behringer footswitch makes a static pop when I engage and disengage the subharmonizer. (Footswitch came with the Behringer! Nice solid heavy dual footswitch too!) I'm going to my local music store and see if they will replace the footswitch to see if that's the problem. Will keep you posted.

I agree, the shape and deep switches provide the presence that really makes the Berhinger sing. I leave them on all the time.

I've used mine at rehearsal and I gigged with it last Friday night. It worked great. I'm running it into one Aguilar GS112 cabinet. What a wonderful rehearsal/Small gig rig this makes! My Ashdown ABM500 EVO is the rackmount version, so it's a lot more to carry around with the power conditioner and rack tuner.

I find the tonal flexibility of the Behringer to be quite exceptional and extremely musical, whether it colors the tone or not, it is very nice sounding.

The Subharmonizer is very cool for slow quiet songs. makes the bass so Full sounding. I agree that it should only be used occassionally. It's also very cool for solo's up on the upper register of the bass.

The amp has plenty of power for my purposes. When I need a big rig, my Ashdown ABM500 EVO is 575W into my 4 ohm Bergantino HT322 cabinet. That slays the Behringer/Aguilar rig. No contest there. I have yet to try the Behringer with my Bergie. Hmmm. Almost hate to do so in the off chance it would sound better than my Ashdown. Highly unlikely, but you never know. The Bergie allegedly craves power, and the Behringer is only 300 W @ 4ohms compared to my Ashdown which is 575W.

The ugly aside; *Whether behringer copied Ashdown or not, and it looks like they did,* it sure gives one HUGE bang for the buck! I was thinking about a Mesa M-Pulse Walkabout head, but they are $800 more!

I am very happy with my purchase. Hope this helps.

4. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I failed to mention the backside of the noise comment I made. Most of the noise was coming from my Toby Pro 5 with the crappy pre that it ships with (just haven't gotten around to spending $85 on a replacement Bart!) The noise was a lot less, almost as good as the GK when I switched over to my P-bass, a little tweaking on the high end and it sounded nice 'n quiet.

As for the footswitch, the thing that makes me most nervous about that is the cable is hardwired into the pedal, when that cable eventually wears out around the grommet your screwed! I was thinking about reaming out the grommet hole and seeing if I could mount a TRS jack, then use a stereo cable.

Also, my footswitch is silent, you're probably better off exchanging yours.

One last thing about the ABM comment... of course it's always a subjective thing, but the Behringer just seemed louder (even the owner of the Ashdown though so too!) Y'know, you get a certain volume on the "A" unit, then you look at the knobs and mentally mark 'em. Then try to reach the same volume with the "B" unit and look at those knobs and compare 'em ...we ain't scientists around here, just "sensing" the differences, nothing concrete! LOL!

I must say thought that this little amp as really surprised me!

5. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    thanks for those reviews guys, they were the final touch for me to decide that i am going to buy one too. although i plan on eventually replacing it with a swr 4004 i think it will suit me fine for now with the avatar 410 i plan on buying to accompany it.

6. An SWR 4004 wont be much of an upgrade if at all.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

8. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    really? i was going to put a tech 21 rbi tube emulating preamp in the rackspace. will that make it worthy? if not, what would be a worthy upgrade?

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If ur gonna use the RBI, just get a powerful power amp that'll cost just as much. You'll have a much better rig. The 4004 is sterile sounding, and you'd be wasting money just using it as a poweramp. Just get a QSC poweramp and you'll be fine.

10. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    the idea of having a seperate power and preamp has always interested me.... so i think i'll do that. besides, i suppose i could get more power that way too. so, could anyone suggest a company that make racks that i could mount a power amp and a pre amp in?

11. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    SKB for flightcases

12. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Or just go to a Guitar Center and get one of those black/gray studio cases if you don't need a road rugged case (I mounted rubber feet on the bottom of mine).

13. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    Thanks for the review, I've been thinking about one of these for a while. I have one question though;

How are the mids from this amp? The comment about the coloration of the low end kind of threw me off on these.
    Are the mids lacking at all? I'm not exactly looking for a nice clean thumpy thunder sound here. I'm in the market for something with some nice in your face low mids. Thanks

14. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, TX
    The EQ is very lively on this unit, I would say that you wouldn't have any problem dialing in some decent mids.

I'm still playing with the "shape" knob vs. the EQ (flat EQ/scooped shape - flat shape/scooped EQ, etc.) and even though it might naturally lean toward beef, I'm finding that there is a wealth of tone capability in this head ...and I've not even begun with the "deep" and "high" switching yet!

...oh yeah, my Hi-Beams came in yesterday, so now I get to start tweaking all over again with new strings!

15. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hi Kaboom - No problem dialing in as much or as little mids as you need. The Shape button sort of creates a mid scoop sound if you want it, but then dial it all down and it can be very mid rangey. I think the tone shaping flexibility is very good. I also don't hear what is being called sound coloration. Mine is very natural sounding. If it is colored, it's a color I like. Very natural. Hope that helps - Gary

16. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I love Hi-Beams! Let us know whta you think. They are bright, but I like that. They last a long time too!

On the Behringer, I always use the deep Switch and the Shape control on. Then adjusting the knobs gives me what I am looking for. Your mileage may vary.

17. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    Thanks! That was just what i needed.

18. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Big Earl

Thank you for the good review. Well done and very informative.

I picked up the 30 watt combo last summer. I was tired of hauling my bigger amp three flights of stairs. My aim was to buy the tiny little practive amp, but the 30 watt was so cheap, I went for the bigger model.

You mentioned the SHAPE feature and I find that is the only knob I play with (besides my own). I leave the eq flat.

I brought the Behringer to gig once. It was a very very small function with maybe 30 people. I was hesitant to bring it becuase it was only 30 watts, right. While not delivering thundering lows, I never cranked it past 2-3. It did the job. Wasn't the greatest sound, but it was acceptable. More importantly, was it ever a treat to walk away with bass over shoulder and amp in hand. Can't say that ever happened in 30 years of playing.

I am interested in reading more of your experiences with the amp. I think a lot of guys are cautiously interested in these products. I was told that the Ashdown MAG series is made in China as well. I don't know if that is true or not. Frankly, I don't care where it's made. Country of construction doesn't tell me anything about a products quality.

I'm toying with taking the plunge on the BX3000T. Product prices over here are beyond offensive. It's hard to find Behringer prices for speakers.

As a side note, I play with a guitarist from Nashville who lives here as well. He runs his guitar through a Behringer V-amp into a custom Soldano head and 2 1-12 Marshall cabinets. He's been using the V amp 4-5 nights a week for 3 years now with no issues at all.

I have heard of Behringer failures, but I have only read of one on another forum. I have also read of Eden failures. I have also exchanged emails with a Behringer product support guy in NYC that handle repairs for the USA. He's a bass player and has a bunch of gear gear. He says the Behringer stuff is pretty robust despite the complaints we read about here.

Anyhow, a good review that gave good detail that I was looking for. Great website by the way.

bmc

19. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I put the Hi-Beams on the P-Bass last night and yowza, what tone! I can't wait to get this sucker up on stage! (Super Bowl Sunday pre-game is the next gig)

bmc, I was originally going to go for the GK 1001RB-II, but bad press in newsgroups about failures kept my little plastic card deep in my wallet. Years ago I made up my mind that I wanted my rig to have the trifecta: good sounding/easy moving/cheap. After putting badly needed new strings on my bass I now feel I've reached my goal:

2 1x12 blank vented cabs, 40lbs each loaded = 100.00 for both (ebay/pickup)
    2 Eminence Kappa 12's (450W each) = 118.00 (from Avatar w/discount, tax and shipped)
    1 Behringer BX3000T, 30 lbs = 199.00 (Zzounds/out the door shipped, no tax, no shipping)

Total: $417.00!!!!

Like I said earlier, the only thing I have yet to do is actually get it up onstage and play, but I'm starting to have no fear.

I'll send more details as they develop.

20. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I'm torn between getting the behringer and a 2x10 or getting an Eden wt300 now and a cab later. Argh, I wish I could hear a behringer in person.