Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer BX300T owners..question about the shape control?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Magneto, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Can someone with some experience describe what the shape control does on this amp?
    I got the chance to test one of these amps, but unfortunately the store was very busy and loud, and I didn't get the chance to turn it up and really hear what the control did.
    Thanks..

Mag....

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    at certain positions the shape knob boosts the bass and treble frequencies while cutting the mids (think scooped slap sound), and at other positions it does just the opposite (think old school grind). It allows you to change your sound completely turning a single control. Also because it can be activated/deactivated via the footswitch, you can easily toggle between two distinct sounds.

Hope that helps a bit.

- Frank.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Now where oh where is that popcorn-eating smiley ??? :bag:

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Move along people... There's nothing to see here :p .

5. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Yeah, I always have mine on, and I set it to 12 o'clock or so. It seems to kind of compress the sound and it really gives me more of what I'm looking for tone wise.

6. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don't use my BX3000T much (I bought it as a backup to my GK 1001RB-II), but when I do, my "sweetspot" for the shape knob is around 1 o'clock.

7. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    When I had one I would also leave it at between 11 and 2. I loved that knob though. If you want to change your sound on the fly just set it and use the footswitch to turn it on when you need it. You can also set up for two basses. It is a pretty versatile effect unlike the Ultrabass which I think they could have left off. I am seriously considering getting another one in the next couple of weeks.

8. Thanks a bunch for the VERY HELPFUL information.. Maybe I'll get the chance to testdrive the amp under better circumstances next time..

Mag...

9. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Yeah, I never really used the Ultrabass until yesterday as a matter of fact. One of the guitarists in my band and I were writing some music, and there is this one little bass lick that it really does a lot for. Other than that, I never use it.

10. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    I use the Ultrabass on quiet picking sections our guitar player plays. I move up an octave and play the bass line and it helps to fill out the sound. Mainly only use it on the D and G strings.

11. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Me too. +1 (1 O'Clock on the Shape knob) The Behringer Bx3000T Head sounds like crap with out the shape button engaged in my opinion.

How do you like your GK1001RB II? I'm thinking about getting one of those as my backup for my Ashdown ABM500 EVO.
    PM so as not to hijack this thread. Thanks!

12. Nova52

Nova52

Dec 15, 2004
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    ....I'm borrowing a BX3000T for awhile....
    I play w/o shape on due to lack of borrowed footswitch...
    My experience is that the shape gives about the same difference in sound as the bright and deep buttons... not necessarily the same sound, but about the same possible difference...

I just can't figure out how tro use the gain knob tho..... :confused:

13. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    The manual says to set the gain knob at a position where the VU meter reads in the middle and use the output knob for volume control.

I also set the shape knob at the 1 o'clock position and engage the deep and bright settings.

14. Well I just got my new Behringer a few days ago, and I'm really liking this amp.
    You guys are right.. shape at about 1 o'clock gives a great starting spot.
    I don't agree that it does about the same thing as the bright and deep switches do. It seems to add alot of mid-punch to my sound, and the amp sounds even better than I had hoped that it would.
    The ultrabass is a trip.. good way to blow a set of speakers if a person wasn't careful, but fun to mess with anyway.
    I don't get much activity out of my VU meter. I have an active bass, and plugging into either the passive or active inputs doesn't move the meter much, but the amp is still plenty loud and clear.
    But all in all I like this amp. One of the better sounding amps I've owned.

Mag...

15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    The shape is teh sehcks! I like mine at about 11 o'clock. It makes my tone wonderful.