Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

behringer BX4500H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jeffhigh, Jul 11, 2005.

1. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Hi Guys, Has anyone tried the new BX4500, Is it an upgrade of the BX3500? I can get them for pretty much the same price.thanks
    Jeff

2. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Ok, But that thread was just a flame war, no one had actually seen or played one.
    they are now becoming available, has anyone had experience with one?
    Jeff

3. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    I decided to be an early adopter and ordered one at $399 AU and it arrived today.
    I have only had about an hour to play around with it
    I am not going to review it both because it is new to me and also my lack of experience with other bass amps but it is sure putting out some punch for the money (this is Australia where prices 2-3 times the US are common)
    Jeff

4. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    I've had mine for a month an am extremely happy with it,infact it put my Ashdown Mag250 in the closet! The shape function is a nice feature.I had a BX300 combo a few years ago and was impressed with it.After several other amps(Ampeg Portabass,Yamaha,Ashdown)I've come back to the Behringer. Lots of low & midrange punch thru my Ampeg 2 x 10 and Peavey 1 x 15 Cabs and more than enough headroom for most gigs.
    My Ibanez ATK300 can really push out the lows in drop D tuning and it stay's focused at extreme volume levels.\
    Definetly recommended. :bag:

5. My local GC just got one today and I spent about an hour on the thing trying out with a bunch of different basses.

First off the thing is loud! I had the thing at obnoxious guitar player levels (roughly 3 to 4 o'clock) and was barely getting any kind of movement out of the VU meter. Them extra 150 watts sure push some air.

The tonal response is very even and quite warm sounding. Not a whole lot of upper range frequencies though. I don't think cats who lean towards the "hi-fi" sound will ever be down with this amp. Personally, I'm not one for the sound of SWR's or GK's, hence my positive review.

There was a very bright sheen on the tone that I didn't care for, but I'm gonna attribute that to the Behringer aluminum cone 8x10. There was a 2x10 Peavey cab that I was considering trying the amp through, but it ain't easy to get behind those big stacks :D

Honestly, I can see spending $260 on an amp like that. However, I should note that when I shop for heads, I only look for tonal consistency and power for live use. I get my tone from a preamp, so any EQ-ing I do from the amp will be to tune to a room.

I don't do much with the Ultrabass feature, but I did like the Shape control very much. It gave me some options to play with. Behringer detractors will say that this is basically copying the feature list from the Ashdown MAG series. I would probably agree with them. But, by putting those features as a footswitchable option is, to me, a clear advantage over the MAG's.

I can't speak on reliablity, and in this forum, it's almost impossible to ask without getting the extreme points of view from both sides. My only sources of comparison are a couple of V-amp processors I own. My original series V-amp has been dropped, overheated (left it on for 2 days once) and had the input jack busted, and I've never had a problem with it. However, my new Bass V-amp had a failure with the midrange knob, 2 months into owning it. From that, I could feasibly say that quality is slipping. But then again, maybe it's not a fair comparison since the V-amp's probably have more delicate circutry than the BX4500's.

Anyways, that's my personal report. Hope it helps