Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer BX600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rdkill, Feb 22, 2003.

1. rdkill

rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    Well, I bought one of these to take around to jams (I haven't played in a few years and am just geting back into it). So, first time out playing with just drums and a rythm guitarist/vocalist I've got this thing on ten and it sounds pretty good but it starts cutting out after a few minutes with a kinda vague "burning components" smell. Since it is under warrantee and such I figure I'll just keep goin' and if it burns up, well it's a lot easier to get a RMA on a dead amp than one that cuts out at 10 after a few minutes <evil grin>. never did die totally, though. Anybody else every had one of these cut out? Obviously I was hard limiting big-time but I thought these were supposed to take that? I was suprised the first time I cranked this in the living room, it isn't all that loud to my ears for 60 watts. In that jam it never got to the point where I felt a need to get the earplugs out and I'm always the first one to do that. We were in a small basement room but is was pretty dead with a carpet and overhead insulated, some wall hangings. Sounded pretty good actually! The drummer was hitting 100% but he had his "practice" set with head dampers on and not his hottest cymbals, etc.

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have one, and wouldn't run it that hard! It is only a 139.00 amp. For that kind of sustained volume, I would get something with a lot more power.

3. rdkill

rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    Update: I took it apart for a "look-see". It uses a single LM3886T IC and it was loose on the heatsink - turns out it's mounting screw was stripped. I'll fix it and I suspect the problem will go away. The chip can run a 4 ohm load so with the 8 ohm load in this box is should be breathin' easy. The circuitry looks to be well built otherwise. Running the numbers on the power supply etc. it looks like it really is a 60 watts RMS poweramp. I might look at raising the limiter threshold a bit to allow a bit of distortion to get more power out of it.
    :)