1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Behringer BXL3000 300W 2ch 15" Paper Bass Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bstewy, May 8, 2010.

1. hey all, looking to upgrade my bass amp, at the moment I only use a 30W marshall bass amp.

does anyone use the Behringer range? what are they like??

Cheers
    Ben

2. Behringer gets a bad rap here on TB. I, personally have no experience with the brand. But I had a buddy of mine have his behringer amp go up in smoke mid practice.

I'm not sure how much the Behringer goes for. But some alternatives people suggest are Peavy and Hartke.

I'm very happy with my Hartke combo, and I've had it forever.

I don't endorse any of those brands.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Picking an amp is a big deal on TB. Having Tb'rs help is too. If you can part with some detailed info, it'll be easier to assist:

Your city/state
    Bass
    Budget
    New? Used okay?
    Type of music
    Goal: practice, rehearsal, gigs?
    Venue size

Probably some questions that other TB'rs can come up with.

4. Hey thanks for the quick responses

ok some more info as requested :)

Brisbane - Australia (prob wont be able to help on that one haha)
    i play with a yamaha RBX270 - Four String Bass - basic but does the job for now
    budget: 600-900 australian dollars (something maybe 100-300w)
    would prefer new
    type of music: a bit of everything really, (pearl jam, gomez, the racontours (i think they are called the sabatours in the states - australia already had a band called the sabatours here so they had to change their name), Brad, Foo fighters)

i guess being an largish amp it'd be for gigs, and i can just use my 30w for practice & rehersals

venue size - none as yet lol

Thanks for the help guys

5. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Some Aussies on here can probably help you better with budget, I understand some things are more expensive over there.

I'd reconsider 'prefer new,' there are LOTS of bass amps/heads/cabinets out there that are not new, but not old enough to matter, and you can save a massive amount of money on them. I'd start with a head, whatever you can find in the 300W+ range from somebody you've heard of (and I'd be a bit leery of Behringer, although I have used some of their gear on and off for many years). Then drag that around and play it through whatever bass cabinets with at least a 15" or two 10" speakers pop up used near you, and you'll find something that works well for you.

Don't hesitate to play through single or double PA cabinets with 15's in them, either, especially if bass cabs are few and far between where you are. You may be pleasantly surprised. You may think it has too much high end, rip out the horn and cover the hole with something, and THEN be pleasantly surprised.

Buying a new amp, but being severely restricted by budget to a few cheaper manufacturers, almost never works out well in the long run!

6. Well, I'm from melbourne and the bass centre down here does some pretty sweet deals. For about $1000 AUD you can score a MAG300 and a 410. I'm not sure if they charge for delivery or not but I'm sure some of the QLDers will chime in soon.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'd avoid the Behringer line, and consider buying used, (you get much more amp for the money), and also consider a seperate head and cab, as having more speakers is KEY to having more volume. Peavey is a great place to start.

8. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    What muddycreek said but......we've two Behringer keyboard amps(15, mid, tweeter) here that are OK.
    One came with a minor, built-in hum(can't hear it unless you're right up next to the speaker cloth). The other served my son for 2 years in high school jazz band(Yamaha DGX 505) and sounds VERY nice when a SansAmp is run into the LINE IN. For marching band, son was on bass guitar using a Peavy(forget model the name) with 1x15 that worked fine and you could hear it all over the stadium IN THE CONTEXT of a high school band volume level. THAT Peavey took all sorts of abuse(rode in a trailer, dropped out of the trailer, rattled around on a cart, etc). It ALWAYS worked.

IF you get Behringer, be aware that some of them can and do crater at any time. Some work for years with no issues(the ones here). I would not expect the Behringer to survive what the Peavey did BUT your gear may not need to suffer that way.

9. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    This might be a good reason to buy Behringer used if you buy it at all- chances are good if it's made it through a year or two, it'll be fine for the long haul. Or buy the extended warranty.

Jon

10. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I have played through a behringer 2-10" cab at a practice studio and their 450 watt head (not sure on model-Ashdown ripoff) and the 4-10 cab at my drummers studio which I would use for a gig in a pinch with no hesitation. I have used my sansamp bass driver in-line with these amps, which makes almost any am sound good, but I have to say that for the money, these amps are a very good value. I don't like the 2-10" only because the tone was a little too bright/harsh and the horn isn't adjustable, only on or off. The head/cab rig sounds pretty darn good actually for an in your face tone. Both instances were the paper cone speakers, I heard that the aluminum cones have had problems ripping and should be avoided.

11. thanks all for replies.

might have a hunt around for some 2nd hand ones, and ill check out a few stores to see whats on offer.

my brother is buying a jamhub from the states when he is over there, so the 30W will do for now (pratice wise anyway)

12. lance666

lance666

Aug 27, 2010
    sorry for the late reply but you need to buy the bxl 3000 it is awsome,my mate rudi has been giging 4 nights a week for a year with no probs, I have one too and it is as good as the Trace I had! and i owned a huges and kettner for a while too!. OOOOh I know I just said that! I know all the bad press they get but its all bull, i'v been involved in bands for 20 years! There is so many 3000 s out there! its not funny! The blowing up thing is laughable! most of the bad publisity is from closet musos who dont even own the rig! Pirana music have been selling Behringer amps for 15 years and hes never had a return,melbourn bass center sell them too and mel told me he had never had a return either, it must be just an american thing ha ha! and the miss match speaker to amp thing , pleeeese! you think one of the biggest amp manufactures in the world would put a sub par unit in to circulation, I dont think so. You Behringers haters need get pragmatic! every negative thing ive readabout this amp is just a regurgitated cliche Ha Ha! The 3000 wont let you down live, youl see. and incidently I dont know any one who has a back up rig incase theres stuffs up like people on here claim, Ha ha! Peace

13. Does ur nxl habe any feed back noise and how get rid of it I also use the v amp pro and midi fcb1010 board any one help me out

14. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I have a 180W combo that I use for practice, but I wouldn't buy one for gigging. Don't know about Aussie prices or availability, but I just heard 2 demos of the Fender Rumble 500 which you can get for $549.00 US. It should be on your list for consideration.