Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer cabs. What is the deal ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalguy2, Mar 9, 2005.

1. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I was wondering why the behringer 4x10 cab is 500 dollars versus more expensive cabs that are a lower wattage. The speakers on the behringer are alluminum cone. So I would expect crystal clear highs. But what about punchyness. Is it worth it if I want to replace my current 2x10 gallien cab with it?
    How will the sound change if I do so.

2. preparing for 5 pages of behringer bashing....

but i'd go find a store that sells them and try it out for yourself

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Behringer builds the cabs overseas so they are cheaper. End of story.

They are basically the same as Hartke TP cabs (the paper cone ones are basically the Hartke VX cabs) since the same company owns both Hartke and Behringer. Forget all that "Bugera speaker" B.S.

Note the prices are about the same as the Hartkes and most catalog dealers are dropping the Hartkes for Behringer.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Behringer lives off stealing the designs of popular and successful products, and makes cheap copies of them - but I think you've already heard that.

As for aluminium cones, I don't really like them. I've seen them played but all I heard was lots of clankity-clank in the upper mid - high area.

I'd rather look for used cabs from a reputable manufacturer.
    And most importantly, try before you buy. Try as many as you can, and only buy the one you like.

5. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I have played on the 115 and now the 410 and I have to say I was impressed by the sound. The mids and highs were crisp and clean. The speaker response was also very quick. For the price they are a steal. :rolleyes: Oops did I say that. :smug:

As for the bottom I really did not get a chance to push them. The 115 sounded better in this department but aluminum is not for everybody. I have yet to play the paper cabs though. All I can say is try them out if you can. You never know. For the price they are surely adequate. They are heavy though so prepare your back.

A lot of people can make comments about Behringer but many of them have not personally tried them. And a lot won't try them because of the ethics issue. I also think that some are scared they might actually like it. :bag: :bag:

6. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    :eek:
    oh arrr? what company owns them? That's a very interesting comment.

7. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Remember when your Mother used to say, "Metalguy, if you don't have anything NICE to say, don't say anything at all"?

Your Mother was always right. I'll be quiet now. :)

8. Your statement is incorrect, Behringer and Hartke are 2 entirely different companies. I worked for Hartke here in Canada for 16 months and I can tell you that the engineers and marketing people at Hartke were not that thrilled when Behringer showed these cabs at last years' NAMM show.
    Behringer is a German owned company and Hartke is a part of the Samson group of companies, which is also a part of the Ash family empire. ( As in Sam Ash )

9. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Is that why Sam Ash won't carry any Behringer stuff? GC is starting to get the cabs in now and that is where I have been trying them out at.

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I would not go with Behringer. I've had bad experiences with their mixers and mics, I have no reason to believe their bass cabs somehow escaped the pattern of crappiness. Check out Avatars, they're cheaper and people say they're awesome.

11. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Don't assume anything unless you have tried them. I know a lot of people that are happy with their BX3000t's. Only way you can know Metalguy2 is try them for yourself. Anybody can give their opinion but only you know what you like. I can attest for the Avatars. I own two of them(210 and 112). Total different animal from the Behringers though.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    These Berhinger threads are funny. I take it that none of the people that go on about stealing ideas have ever owned a Precision or Jazz Bass copy in their lifetimes. :rolleyes:

13. You would be correct in my particular instance.

Mike

14. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Sooooo what are you trying say? Well personally I am starting to think that people just hate the name. I don't have any good reasons to hate the company. Does anyone else ?

But anyways.. Thanks for the comments that actually did help me in understand WHY THE HELL THE BEHRINGER CABS ARE SO CHEAP!! Still gonna shop around.. although a defret on my bass sounds pretty sweet as well. ( Can you tell I got my tax refund back?)

15. I'm not sure that's a question you really want to know the answer to. Better yet, why don't you do a search on the topic to keep the carnage to a minimum?

Mike

16. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill

Oh noooooooooooo!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :bag: :bag: :rollno: :rollno:

17. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    These Behringer threads are really getting old. Do a search.

18. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    HARTKE is made by Sam Ash

19. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Don't you mean Samson?

20. Samson Technologies and Sam Ash are both owned by the Ash family ( as in Sam Ash )