1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Behringer Chorus?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Baryonyx, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm thinking it's about time I got a chorus unit. I'm not willing to pay for a massively expensive unit since I rarely use effects (I've got a couple of expensive pedals that sit around doing nothing).

I've been looking at the cheapy Behringer unit....£15 from gak.co.uk....

I just want to know? Does anyone have experience with these? Does it actually sound like a chorus unit? Will it blow up after a week?

It won't see any hard use, and very little stress since in live situations it will be turned on permanently. The reason I'm looking at this unit is the price-I've got a decent amp and 3 good basses and I don't want to blow any more cash on gear for a while. Furthermore, I finally played some Behringer amps and they were great, whereas I'd been told they were awful. So...

thoughts? :D

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Honestly, I'd go with FAB or Dano before Behringer. I remember TaySte's clip of a cheaper chorus, and it sounded good enough to my ears.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
  4. Ravens

Ravens Rivethead

Jan 12, 2007
    Malmö, Sweden
    I have that one, its no good IMO. If you use it in a band, you will either not hear th chorus or not hear yourself, and its not true bypass and will screw up your sound when bypassed.

The brown Boss CE-2B Bass Chorus is great if you can get one, there are usually a few on ebay.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Hmm...looks like I might actually need to spend some cash here...or get a Danelectro. Like I say, I'm not looking for some boutique piece of kit, just something that will get a nice 80's sound and bring a touch of "Jeff Berlin" to my tone!

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Popular low-priced options for chorus include:

- Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus
    - EHX Small Clone

IMO, if you're on a budget, get a used Small Clone - it'll cost you about $40 to $60. You'll get a lush, bright chorus that works great on bass! I used to own both a CEB-3 and a Small Clone, and the CEB-3 was too mellow for me.

Now, I own a Stereo Clone Theory - the reissue of the original Clone Theory that the Small Clone is based on.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Hmm, I think I'll go with the FAB or the Behringer...I'll just toss a coin about it maybe! :meh:

8. Ravens

Ravens Rivethead

Jan 12, 2007
    Malmö, Sweden
    Hey Boo!

Have you (or anyone else) tried the nano clone, does it hold up to the small clone?

9. right, i have the behringer chorus and have tried the FAB.

go for the behringer, people say they're rubbish but i really like mine.

i've acheived many sounds with my pedal.

and its a reasonable price. have fun with it!

10. Maude

Maude

Dec 20, 2006
    Cornwall, England.
    The first thing I will say is I am not a Behringer hater, if it's cheap and you like the sound it produces then who cares if it's a cheap copy, but I had a V-amp pro which I did like but it packed up. I decided that I would try out some of the cheaper stomp boxes and bought a behringer bass o/d, octaver and v-tone di, the o/d is fine and I quite like the sounds out of it, the v-tone is very good for the money but after one month it stopped working on mains and the octaver is ok but cannot be run on mains because of excessive noise even when bypassed and sucks tone like you would not believe.
    At the same time I bought a digital delay, chorus and overdrive pedal by Daphon and for cheap units (cheaper than behringer on ebay) I cannot fault them at all, proper cast metal housing, nice sturdy feeling switches and a sensible battery compartment.
    The Daphon chorus is ideal for what I need, has a very good sound, doesn't get muddy at all and sucks no tone at all, if you want a crazy excessive amount of depth to your chorus it might not be suitable but definately worth checking out in the Behringer price range and in my experience will last alot longer than a Behringer.
    Behringer stomps give a very good bang for your buck sound while they work.
    Four Behringer products, of which one is still fully functional, three Daphon pedals of which all three still work perfectly.

11. i've had my behringer pedal for just over a year now, never broken down, never needed it re-wiring or anything replaced.

12. Personally, I wouldn't go with the Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus. I would take the Boss CE-5 or the CE-20, simply because I do not feel the CEB-3 has a very good chorus sound to it. It's hard to explain how I hear it, but I think the Boss Chorus effect that is "meant" for the guitar sounds better.

13. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    That's why I didn't recommend it :p

But yeah, the CE-5 and other Boss chorus pedals do sound different, and IMO, from the little bit of time I spent with the CE-5, it's a great-sounding effect.

14. Charm Bracelet

Charm Bracelet

Apr 29, 2007
    The Behringer is a clone of the Boss CEB-3 and has all analog circuitry.

15. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yup, a few of us have, including me. I only tried it out briefly, but my experience is pretty much in-line with that of others - it has low-end loss problems.

I'm planning to give it another test when one of my local shops gets it again. I'm curious to see if it can be at all usable for bass.

Plus, it has the same issue that the Nano Muff has - it can't be powered with other effects in a daisy chain because of the grounding design. It has to be powered by itself with an adapter or battery. It can, however, be powered together with a Nano Muff, since they were both designed in this weird way.

No other EHX XO or Nano pedals have this problem, just so you know. Those are the only two.

16. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I would recommend the Behringer Bass Chorus. I have it, and although the build quality isn't the best, it sounds nice, and if you aren't someone who abuses equipment, it should be fine.

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Thats a good enough review for me! Cheers! :D

I must ask though, is the housing plastic or metal? (not that it matters)

18. nandj

nandj

Mar 29, 2007
    Essex, UK.
    Plastic, very plastic! So no stomping on this stompbox....OK?

19. nandj

nandj

Mar 29, 2007
    Essex, UK.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 20, 2021