1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Behringer Chromatic Tuner TU300?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Karim Salib, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Karim Salib

Karim Salib

Jan 7, 2017
    Canada
    A friend gave me this tuner pedal for free. Its cheap (in price) but seems to work fine.
    My question is why are the Boss chromatic tuners so much more popular with their much higher prices?

Should I eventually upgrade to a better tuner (Boss TU-3 or Polytune)?

Context - I play in a church worship team

Thanks!

2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I've never used the tuners you mention, but I have owned both Boss and Behringer and generally the Behringer are cheaper because of the plastic casing (instead of metal) and poorer bypass buffer (reviews are mixed on the Boss buffers, but the Behringer ones are generally considered not good). Not sure about the accuracy/precision in the tuner itself.

Karim Salib likes this.
  3. Karim Salib

Karim Salib

Jan 7, 2017
    Canada
    What do you mean by bypass buffer? sorry im new to pedals haha

4. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Basically, you have "true bypass" pedals that when they're off don't affect your signal at all, it's just like the two ends of the in and out cables are connected. Non-true bypass is when, even when the pedal is off, the guitar signal is passing through the electronics of the pedal. This often involves a "buffer," which changes the "impedance" of your signal. Overall there are pros/cons to each setup. But the point is that a true bypass shouldn't really affect your signal (unless your cable run is too long), while a non-true bypass that has a buffer can be a good or a bad thing in terms of affecting our tone.

Karim Salib likes this.
  5. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Both the Boss and the Behringer are non-true bypass, I think.

Karim Salib likes this.
  6. Karim Salib

Karim Salib

Jan 7, 2017
    Canada
    Thanks man! appreciate it