Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer combo - Great buy!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gastambide, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Gastambide

Gastambide

Mar 4, 2005
    I just purchased the Behringer BX1200 combo amp this weekend at GC. I didn't go in with that intention, but I saw that it had been marked down to $199, so I brought in my Spector Euro 4 and plugged in. Needless to say, it went home with me that day. I was looking for a small combo that sounded tight and punchy. ( I always liked the sound of aluminum cones since Hartke first came out with 'em. ) Now I know a lot of folks don't like anything with the Behringer name on it, but you owe it to yourself to check this little powerhouse out - if you haven't already done so. I was extremely impressed, and the price tag is unbelievable. I'm interested in checking out their cabs next!

2. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I have one, and I'm not impressed at all. At merely 5/8 volume, the speaker starts farting. The amp itself is decent, but the speaker that it comes with is crap. I have to buy a cabinet now because the speaker is terrible. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this amp, even though it's only $200. Their 300 watt head is $200, and then you can get a speaker that isn't hard to live with.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yeah, and then when you have my experience, it'll go BZZTT! and stop working. Have it fixed, only to have it go BZZTT! again. You really get what you pay for with Behringer, IMO.
    Enjoy it while its working.

4. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Or you will get my experience and have all of your B gear work nicely with no problems. Everything that is made or mass produced will have a lemon or two or three or thousand!!!!! :eyebrow: :meh: :bag:

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Smells like a return waiting to happen!

6. i had the berringer combo too and it was okay but i paid 199 4 mine and it wasnt on sale or anything just normal price thanks!

7. "I always liked the sound of aluminum cones since Hartke first came out with 'em."

So.....Whats youre point! Youre not getting the hartke xl...I mean Hartke XL to you sir...:) Why didn'y you buy the real thing!! HARTKE......... Price tag...P r i c e t a g.....p r i c e t a g p r i c e t a g..........................Ho hum.....Ho hummmmmmmmmmm..

8. We have one at school.
    It sure can work as a practice amp, and it cuts trough quite allright in a jam-situation.
    Can't get a decent tone out of it, though...

9. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    ZZsounds has them for 149 bucks!!

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Behringer stuff is pretty much bottom - feeder material. Mostly you get what you pay for. Nothing I've experienced from those guys was what I would classify as a keeper ...

Save your dinero and set your sites on higher end gear...

11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    If zzounds gives me $149.00, I'll take it. Once I get it home though, rest assured it is going to be subject to abject torture and pain. When I'm done, it's going out to the curb with all the other trash where it belongs.

12. C'mon guy's Whats wrong with the BX1200 combo......it looks just like my kickback 15..........[​IMG]

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    demo one. It will be pretty clear I'm thinking. I'm not a huge fan of the kickback either but I'd say that it is more amp than the 'B'. To be somewhat fair - I am not a fan of combo bass amps for the most part. A head and cab or rack and cab any day ... If I were choosing a combo it would be the 2x10 GK. I want a bass amp strong enough to defend itself. ;)

14. A nother thing about that combo is that it's TERRIBLE to lug around. Thrust me. I have to carrie it alot at school, and it kills me.
    I dunno why, because it's not really that heavy. But I guess it's the bulky size, and the handle placement.

15. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    My 75lb Avatar 2x12 cabinet feels lighter than that Behringer POS. A lot of it has to do with the handle placement and abstract size.