Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer compressor questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KB, Oct 1, 2002.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am considering getting a rack mount compressor, but I don't want to put a lot of $$ into it so I am considering the following:

Behringer Autocom Pro
    Behringer Autocom Pro XL
    Behringer Composer Pro

what are the advantages or disadvantages of each of these in respect to using with a bass rig.

Let me know if you have ever compared these.

Thanks

-KB

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I never compared those, but I use an older Behringer Autocom MDX 1000, and I love it.
    Great FX quality and really quiet. It's in my home recording setup right now.

3. Me likes me Autocom PRO 1400 MDX :p

[​IMG]

4. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I'm not sure of the differences between the Autocom Pro and XL version.
    The Autocom has an enhancer circuit, which seems to do bugger all for bass, whereas the Composer has a limiter circuit instead which could proove very useful if your amp doesn't have a built in limiter. My amp does so i went for the Autocom, which was also a tad cheaper.

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have a SWR SM500 amp that has a built in limiter so maybe the autocom is more of what I need. The one like allodox has in the pictures is only about $70.

I have been trying to figure out what to put in my spare rack space so I think it will either be a compressor or a BBE. Just trying to decide which since they are different in function.

-KB

6. My opinion: Cough up the extra dough and buy a DBX. At the end of the day, the sound is better.

I work at Guitar Center and had the opportunity to sit in the studio room for a while and A/B many different compressors before settling on one. I too was looking to not spend too much and took a serious look at the Behringers. They do their job well enough, but when I switched from the Composer to a DBX 266 with similar settings, the sound was just plain sweeter through the DBX. For the price, the Behringer gear is hard to beat, but as always, you get what you pay for.

Brian

7. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    Are the Composers capable of compressing high and low signal bands differently? I heard someone
    mention they could with some type of filter they have built in, although I never saw anything about
    this in their online spec.

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    The Behringer ones mentioned aren't multiband. the filter you speak of is a side-chain filter, this is so you can set it to only compress when it detects a signal coming into the side-chain input. For example, you could have a kick drum signal coming in, and set so the compressor only functions when it detects the kick, so that it pumps in a dancey way... if that makes sense.

What you could do is use a stereo eq, one side bass biased, and one side treble biased, and feed these into the two channels on the comp, then tailor each side for the correct balance.

It would be easier tho to get a proper multi-band comp, which I believe behringer do make.

PS. Allodox - I see you've got an empty space in your rack that needs filling with shiny metal and lights, much like me. What are you going to put in it? I'm planning on a Korg tuner, which other than looking pretty, will help with my fretless playing.

9. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    To those of you who have a compressor in their rack. Where is its place in the signal chain. With the exception of some, most 19" Compressors are not made for instrument level inputs. On the other hand, the amplifiers don't have an insert. So you can't put it before your amp, but if you put it in the effect loop the main reason for using it doesn't work anymore: not to overdrive the amp???
    Dirk

10. I use a Behringer Composer Pro MDX 2200 ($89) with my SWR SM 400-S (similar to a SM 500).

They have an "SC" filter which allows the lows to go thru without taking over. Great feature.

Because my SWR has a crossover I can send the lows to the Composers right channel and the highes to the left. However, I've found that this isn't needed because the "SC Filter" function does just fine, so I run it mono and chain channel 1 into channel 2. First I compress a broad signal lightly then compress the only the peaks again.

Tons and tons of sustain, punch, and added headroom.

The volume I got at Master Volume 12:00, I can get at 8:30 with the compressor kicked in.

The Composers expander/noise gate needs to be set very low because otherwise it supresses sustain. The peak limiter is very handy for protecting your cab from mighty thumb strikes at high volume.

I chose the Composer because I already have a BBE 362NR (last in the chain) so I didn't need the AutoCom's enhancer feature.
    I needed the peak limiter function for more POWER!

BTW: This is NOT your SM 500 limiter circuit.
    I still have my SM 400 limiter set at 1:30.

11. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    So what is the real difference between the autocom and the composer? It seems like the autocom has the enhancer circuit (is this similar to a BBE?) and the composer has a peak limiter.

Can anyone explain any other differences and which would work better in a bass rig? I do not currently own a BBE so if the enhancer is similar, is it any good?

Are the compression units it the 2 units the same?

I just want to make sure I get the right one for my rig.

-KB

12. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Like I said earlier, the enhancer in my Autocom seems to do naff all for bass, so I got a Behringer Ultrafex (similar to the BBE) as well.
    If you think the limiter circuit in the Composer Pro is going to prove more useful go for that, if not, save a few quid and go for the Autocom.