Behringer Europower EP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by icks, Aug 7, 2003.

1. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    It seems that Behringer become more and more interesting...

What guys do you think of those 2 new power amps?

EP 2500 ( 2400W bridges @ 4ohms )
    EP 1500 ( 1400W bridges @ 4ohms )

Respectivly, they retails in Belgium 530€ and 450€

Which is cheap here ....

Gimme you're 2Cents

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    If I needed another power amp, I'd certainly check them out...I've had excellent results with my other Behringer gear.
  3. Im also interested in all this new behringer equipment.

I have a question though i feel a bit dumb but im sure you know the answer...can poweramps be used for bass and guitar or is there seperate bass poweramps and guitar poweramps like heads and cabs

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    power amps are universal.
  5. Icks,

there's been one or two topics already on these poweramps. So far there's nobody that owns one.

They're the cheapest poweramps available in Belgium, yes. Maybe in Europe! Someday I might want one, but for now I'm happy with my head-setup.
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    That's right...I remember reading about the "relationship".

Bob, if you can comment, are the Europower amps illegal copies of the RMX products?
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
  8. Must be disheartening for the people who actually designed and developed the products that Uli and Co. have 'borrowed.'
    You'll never see a Behringer product in my posession. The way they do business is unconscienable to me.
  9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    When they first came out I knew they looked familar. They even use the same LED's and knobs. You would think they would at least try to make something a little different.
  10. Just another view, QSC Products aren't affordable over here in Europe. Extremely overpriced (taxes, imports, profit from retailers)! Behringer is making the cheapest poweramps available at the moment. If they will last is another thing, but I'm surely interested in one.
  11. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I have the EP1500, love it.
  12. tell us more! have you had any other power amps? how does it compare.
  13. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I guess if you live in Europe, buy the Behringer. If it tanks, likely you'll be close enough to go and kick Uli's ass. Otherwise, the QSC's are so reasonably priced, it's hard to justify taking a chance on anything less.

14. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Well, i use it to power my bass rig in conjunction with the new Bass V-amp Pro... I took a chance and just bought both of them as soon as I could get my hands on them. I figured with the way Behringer was starting to produce some real nice pro-audio gear, that it was worth a shot to get these two pieces.

Anyway, my previous rig was a Peavey TB Raxx tube pre with a Peavey poweramp. I compared the Behringer to both the QSC RMX 850 and 1450. It's a dead heat between it and the 1450, the 850 does not compare. And of course the price was the same as the 850. I run it bridged into a 4ohm load so it is putting out the full 1400. I like to set my volume so I can control the dynamics with my hands. The EP1500 roll the power on smoothly and does not break up even when I dig in. The Bass V-amp does a nice tube growl on the tube setting when you push it as well (had people ask if it was a tube pre..)

I play in a house band that hosts an open jam on sundays so I have been able to hear 4, 5, 6 and 12 string basses through the rig and both the VA and the EP handle them very well.

on the construction side, it is very solid, not quite as heavy as the QSC, I like the knobs on the EP better than the QSC. I'm glad it does not have the barrier strip in it like the QSC and I could do without the binding post connectors as well, but they are there, but I use all 12guage Speakon to speakon cables and everything is good.

oi..i'm typing too much....
  15. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Eh, they're not copies in that sense. A better analogy would be a cover band. If you put out an original cd, and a cover band did their own rendition of your songs, pretty much note for note, would you object? Some would consider it an honor (they could've covered a Yamaha amp!), others more concerned with lost business would be upset.
  16. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I guess I'm making a distinction between covering and copying that you're not. IMO copying is exact, whereas covering is different than but clearly close to the original. Your cd copying analogy would be like if they bought a QSC and scraped the logo off and replaced it w/ a Behringer one, exactly the same except for the name. My covering analogy is like if they really studied a QSC and did their best to reproduce it. Copying is what they did w/ your bit of the manual, covering is what they did with the amp.

I'm not really trying to defend Behringer or anything. I've only owned two pieces of their gear and I just sold one of 'em.
  17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    They should have called them "Chinese Power" since that's where they make 'em :D

Of course, if they played up the Chinese manufacture noone would want one :meh:
  18. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You forgot something Jondog. If you cover a song, the songwriter gets paid.........
  19. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes. But if they were *exact* copies, the copier would go to jail. Bob said that there's not much about a basic power amp that can be copywritten. Maybe it's like covering an instrumental blues tune? No songwriter can say I-IV-V is theirs alone. You could cover that tune, and even use the same guitars and amps, and not pay anyone. People would say you are a derivative artist and that you don't contribute much to the culture, but they wouldn't lock you up. Like George Thorogood's "Bad To The Bone" rips off a classic blues progression, melody, and lyrical theme but I'm pretty sure he gets all the royalties. (I can't stand that song!)

With guitars, they say all you can copyright is the headstock shape. Does Fender get upset w/ SX for P and J copies? Maybe the sales manager does but others, especially players, view it as a tribute to Leo's excellent design.