Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

behringer fined $1M by FCC.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by robb., Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apparently, stealing designs isn't the only corner they illegaly cut.

the v-amp and bass v-amp, as well as several powered and unpowered mixers all violate FCC equipment authorization rules. they've been selling them for five years and for over a year since being notified of the violations by the FCC.

$1M won't hurt them too badly, but that's still a lot of money for anyone. this means uli won't be able to buy a new steering system for his yacht for another month, now.

robb.

2. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'm not largely surprised by this, but its good to know.

1M is quite a lot, but then again they violated these rule for over five years making probably thousands of these. So I think it's fitting.

3. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    What is wrong with this company?! Honestly, will they ever get it?

4. their business model implies that they do, in fact, get it. and that they believe they will make considerably more money than fines and legal action will take away.

to this point, they've been well on the plus side of that bet.

robb.

5. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Man, the more I read, the more I feel like an ass for buying their stuff.

6. well, it's not meant to make you feel guilty. i mean, that's water under the bridge. but i personally choose not to buy their products for just such reasons, and i hope others consider it in their buying decisions, too.

i vote with my dollars. once the vote is cast, you can't really take it back. but you can vote differently in the future.

robb.

7. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    they must be making a TON of money if they were willing to risk this fine, and blatently continued selling the product. I wonder what their corporate meetings are like?

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    ...hmm, interesting.

9. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I can only imagine. I mean, I bought their stuff not knowing all this was going on. The main reason I went with their stuff was because it was so gosh darned cheap, and I needed a bigger rig to play out since I had just joined a band.

I won't buy anything else of theirs knowing their business practices.

10. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I didn't have a problem with customer service. When I bought their power amp, I asked them what settings to set it to so I don't blow out my equipment, and they replied within 2 days with all the info I needed. Plus, they were quite speedy with the warranty repairs.

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    One Million isn't even a blip on Behringer's radar screen considering its international sales.

You shouldn't feel guilty about the Behringer gear you already bought, but if you pledge not to buy any more Behringer gear, the world just became a better place.

12. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    While their practices may not be good, I may still go for their stuff in the future - Sorry to say, but I really don't have that much money to spend on stuff.

13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    This 1 million fine get's passed onto consumers.

I don't know that any boutique device isn't in violation of these standards. The FTC probably doesn't monitor or care since they're on a smaller scale. It's only worth the FCC's time to go after the profiting companies.

Also look at what the FCC is enforcing.

Ever run with the cover off your PC? Then you're in violation. What are the effects you noticed of you not having the cover on - did you notice? What were the effects of this Behringer devices being used? And I know that some of them are used in HiFi systems by people who care about the paint on their knobs interfering with the sound.

Behringer should not have done this, but so far we only have one side of the story.

I'm not real happy with the FCC anyhow, too many programs are going to satellite radio just to get around FCC rules.

14. that's your choice. i just try to make sure people make informed choices. of course, from having worked in pro audio for several years, it's self preservation for me to oppose behringer.

robb.

15. i'd be surpised if behringer changes their pricing structure to recoup a number that's more easily found in more sales. i'd bet they'll eat it as a business expense and then write it off their german taxes. ;)

robb.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    They don't have to "get it". The $1 million fine is nothing compared to what they made. This kind of goes back to my cheaters thread in OT. The consequences are not severe enough to prevent the cheating from happening in the first place.

Heck, if you made $100 selling something illegally, and then got fined $10 a couple years later, would you care? Would it stop you from doing it again? I didn't think so. :D

-Mike

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Oh, and this is the other reason they don't need to "get it". :D

-Mike

18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I stopped buying their stuff a few years ago. I had only bought a pair of headphones and an Exciter/enhancer rackmount thing to that point.

19. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    And who doesn't go over the speed limit at times.
    Do you write yourself a ticket and send in the fine? Or just hope the police don't pull you over and take the risk. Some of us never "get it".

20. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    After rereading the announcement the first line reads:

...The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) today proposed a $1 million forfeiture against Behringer USA, ...

Does the proposed part got me thinking. Does that mean that the FCC has already fined them or are just publicly declaring their intentions? Or simply put, has the FCC already fined Behringer or are probably going to?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.