Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer Hate

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BillySid, Dec 23, 2005.

1. BillySid

BillySid Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Weatherford, TX
    Hello,
    I'm new here as this is my first post. I've been hanging around reading various things and topics and have enjoyed it tremendously. One thing that I have noticed is there seems to be alot of hate for Behringer. Can anyone eloborate on this? I'm about to buy a new rig and was looking hard at them because of the price. Just seems like a great value. Of course if it's going to die within the first year of use, I might need to look elsewhere. Just curious. Thanks

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    A lot of the anger towards Behringer comes from the sometimes questionable quality of their product, but also their business practices, which some people find to be... not so good.

If you do a search for "Behringer" in the Amps forum (searching in "Thread Titles Only" will help you narrow it down) and look for the threads that have been closed (there's a little lock icon in front of them), you can probably rest assured that the Great Behringer Controversey lies within. Happy reading!

3. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
  4. BillySid

BillySid Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Weatherford, TX

Thanks for the search tip. I was using the general search feature but didn't realize I could narrow it down. That will help alot with searches.

Thanks for your info Jellybass, looks like a good read.

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Yknow, I won't argue the business practices or that the stuff may not last too long. But if it's cheap enough, it could still be worth it to someone who needed equipment, and cheap. Case in point - local GC has a NEW 8X10 for $389. Admit I was tempted, but I have nowhere to put it.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I am almost tempted to buy one of their bass heads, just to take apart and look inside. Hasn't anybody done this? Someome should pop the top and take some high-resolution pics. Wouldn't that settle the issue?

7. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I had the 300 watt head for awhile, not bad really, I could get some good sounds out of it, and the price was right.

However after playing it for a few months, I realized I should have saved a little more money and bought an Ashdown Mag300 to begin with.

I just didn't like the tone, it didn't fit with my band. It could cut through, but it had no grit.

8. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I know someone that had one. I tried the amp and didn't care for it. It had a lot of extra stuff like amp modeling and built-in effects, which just made it more cumbersome IMO. After fiddling with it, I just couldn't find a tone that was appealing to my ears. I'd rather just have a simple amp with good tone. But that's just MHO based on the one experience that I had. Maybe they make other models that are simpler (less knob twiddling) and that sound good.
    I wouldn't say that I hate them, though.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My personal experience, the stuff just doesn't last. Sometimes it does, more often than not it doesn't. Its a crap shoot.

If you don't have much money and its all you can get, give it a shot. If it dies within a year, hopefully you'll have more money by then to buy something of quality. If you can save a little extra and get something better, I'd suggest you try . . . but if you can't afford anything else, we all understand!

10. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I've got about a dozen behringer pa/studio boxes (no bass amps admittedly) and every one of them has been 100% reliable. Some are 8 years old, so my experience with reliability has been very good. On the other hand I've had failures (sometime multiple) with mackie, allen & heath, yamaha, marshall, fender, ampeg, trace elliot, event.... that's just off the top of my head. Failures aren't confined to behringer.

11. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I read your post, Kabong, and with all due respect, we are talking about BASS here on TalkBass.com...

What the heck... a front man singer buddy of mine uses a Behringer microphone, and he's had zero problems with it over the last 5 years that I can attest. However, my church oh so recently purchased this:

http://www.behringer.com/MX602A/index.cfm?lang=ENG

...so, I'm picking on you, my unknown TB friend... less than a month after we received the item... much to my strong objection to the purchase in the first place... the right side simply quit... I'm no techie, but I think it was an output transistor, or whatever they are called. Less than a month after acquisition, we had to take this disappointment back to the store for repair. So, what did the store do? They apologized, and gave us another MX602A right off the shelf. So far... so good, and this has been about six weeks now.

There exists a whole lotta grief regarding this particular brand within the scribes herewith in TB... and we are talking BASS here... I've been one to urge those whom I encounter to simply look elsewhere should they consider this particular brand of bass equipment... with all due respect.

12. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I can speak on this subject from the perspective of a former owner. I owned the Bx3000T, the EP1500 poweramp, the BA115 cab, and still own the Bass V-amp pro.

All of the products I sold in working order and they did not give me a ounce of trouble. I really did like the BX3000T. It was a flexible little head with nice power and well placed EQ centers. It will not give you a lot of grit and growl as you I know a lot of you like but I could get plenty of clean, hi-fi tone out of it. I do slap and this head gave me some good tone. I am considering buying the new 450 watt head as another backup/practice at home head. The poweramp worked in my BBE Bmax pre/power setup. I wanted to keep it because you never know when you will need one but I wanted my Kustom GB1200 head bad so I sold it as a package. I also sold the cab because I was not using it. I think the 115 is the nicest of all their cabs. Solid bottom but punchy and clear because of the aluminum.

I am keeping the V-amp pro because I am setting up some home recording equipment and that thing is sweet. The models are pretty close to the real thing and I also use it as a direct box when I have situations that require me to go straight to the PA.

I believe that cost is one thing that drives people away from Behringer products. You get what you pay for and you will run into problems with anything at times. Behringer is what it is. Economy gear for people that cannot afford high end. Most guys that get Behringer are young guys just starting out or the weekend/hobbyist. Eventually they move on like I did but when I had it it served me well and I got plenty of compliments and questions on my gear.

13. jvb

jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    FWIW I've been using the 300w bass head for the last year, done 20-30 4hr rock cover gigs with it, and 40 odd rehearsals. No hint of a problem.

14. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    No worries! But I do think it's legitimate to point out that behringer products are not the only ones that fail. And I also think it's relevant to relate experiences with other sound equipment from the same manufacturer. I mean if you can use examples of failures with a beringer mixer to illustrate why you don't like behringer then surely it's ok for me to relate my experiences with other behringer products?

The bottom line imo is that failures can happen with any equipment. Have a read of the current thread on ca9 amps. They're regarded as one of THE butt kicking bass amps, yet there is a poster who experienced a more than 50% failure rate on forty amps! Personally I've had an ampeg svt-cl fail twice, a svt3-pro several times, a trace elliot V-type once (and a noisy di design fault), a marshall dynamic bass combo several times.... All good gear, all with failures.

Is my behringer gear the best stuff I own? Not by a long shot. But like it or not it's been my most reliable gear. I think it pays to remember internet forums like this are esentially self selecting samples, not the most accurate measure of anything.

I think behringer, amongst others, is cheap and cheerful, and provides useful tools for many tasks. Many bass players own more than just bass dedicated sound equipment. To agressively dismiss an entire product range is to unecessarily limit people's choices. If cash is tight, then a cheap, new solution with warranty is a good option for many. I don't think many behringer buyers are expecting a db750 for their few hundred bucks.

Just so it's clear, I'm not a behringer hater or lover. I just think cheap gear has it uses as well as it's limitations. Your mileage seems to vary. ;)

15. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I own a few pieces of Behringer gear. I'm not big on them, and reliability has been an issue--I got no customer support when my mixer's power supply broke, and a larger board that a friend bought lost 3 channels in two months; customer support wouldn't help him, either. Another friend fried the power amp section of his Behringer bass amp, although he's also done that to a couple of SWR's and a Gallien-Kruger.

OTOH, I've got some Behringer PA and recording gear that works well, although it's not the best-sounding stuff available. It seems to me that part of what you're not paying for is quality control. Most companies that sell cheaper equipment start out this way, and some of them grow to be successful, and have a good reputation now (Peavey and Mackie, for instance) Until then, I'm not buying any more Behringer until either I hear that they answer their phone, or one of their bass amps (or other gear) blows me away. This hasn't happened yet.

16. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Behringer stuff is cheap. For the price, it's great. Overall, it's not. If it was, you'd see 90% of players worldwide using their stuff. If you don't have the cash then it's one of the best choices available, and I think it's great that they exist because I know ppl who could never afford high end equipment and they're happy with behringer. I myself intend to buy a Behr cab soon, as I only want it for low volume home use and don't intend to give 500 euros more to get an ampeg or eden. Eventually I will, but fingers crossed the behringer should do a good job for its money until that day.

17. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I recently(almost ashamed :bag: to admit) bought a Behringer Ultrabass4500 and sent it back after about 3 days-it was the worst :eyebrow: amp I have ever tried :bassist: -it hummed and buzzed and seemed like it was going to pick up a radio station :eek: any minute...the hum seemed to be rhythmic,(?60 HZ)...very irritating :scowl: ...the ultra bass feature and octave bass feature were also so noisy with hum etc :confused: ,that it was not worth it to use(also sounded badly :scowl: )...I made a HeathKit amp back in the 60's and it sounded like a much better ;) quality amp than this one...Humbug on B...... :p

18. I've had a music store for nearly two months now and I have sold a TON of Behringer bass rigs. I haven't seen anything come back with any problems. The price is right I think is the operative term so far. It's not a pro rig, I wouldn't expect them to have say an SVT's life span or anything but name another bass head you can buy for like seventy cents per watt. You get what you pay for ... RIGHT?

19. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    um....why did you buy it in the first place?
    :confused:

Might want to try gear out before you buy it.

20. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I played in a pit orchestra with a guy who had a Behringer head. It was dead quiet and accurate. Amazing sound for the price. Too much weight for me - it has a huge transformer (toroid). The head weights like 30lbs just by itself.