Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer Head @ $200 - Skeptic or Believer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by firstbassman, Oct 27, 2004.

1. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    I recently went on a hunt for a new, fairly inexpensive head to rebuild an ancient rig - dumping a Peavey 1x15 Black Widow combo amp (circa 1981-ish), yet still building upon a Hartke 4x10 cab (circa 1983-ish). I always hated the Peavey combo, but I was just too lazy to upgrade, as there was always another option to play through.

My current band has been playing directly into the PA, but that got old really fast. They finally decided to make the leap to actual proper sound equipment, so it's time for me to get serious about upgrading.

Band details - mostly covers, everything from Marvin Gaye to Jimmy Eat World. I use a 1975 Rick 4001 and a Jay Turser Hofner clone.

I saw the Behringer BX3000T Ultrabass Head at GC for $230 and I just didn't know if I should believe that I could get a decent 300 watt head for that price. I know that I wanted to keep it in the $300 or so range, but it just seemed out of whack. All the online reviews that I've managed to dig up are good, but I just wanted to put my finger on the pulse of this esteemed panel before buying into something I really hadn't heard too much about.

If not the Behringer, any other thoughts for a decent option?

2. martinjbull

martinjbull

Oct 25, 2004
    Hi
    I'm new to bass (comparatively) but to give an idea of my taste I have $40K plus rig for acoustic/electric 6 string playing-have martin, gibson, dobro, fender 60 strat, 52 tele (reissue) rickenbacker, etc-Soldano, fender amps-& so on-Plus effects etc. . I'm no tone novice. Played for 30 years.
    Recently taken up bass & bought MusicMan sub 4.
    Also got Behringer BX 3000T and Hartke 410 cab. My mate plays stingrays & ampeg rig. He's played 4 a band that recently supported Bon Jovi. I know what a good bass sounds like.
    The Behringer will not sound like an Ampeg-my Fender doesn't sound like my Soldano-but they are both damn good amps-I just got rid of a Les Paul (great guitar) because it wasn't MY sound-I prefer my ES335 but its a very GOOD guitar,and in my view the behringer is a great amp-the price differential from an Ampeg (EG) is galactic. No idea on longevity but hey for $200 you can't lose mate. Question-does it sound good when you hit the bass? If so buy the thing. Hope this helps. Send me an e-mail if u want 2 know more.
    Martin

3. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I like mine. Thats all I have to say.

4. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I really like mine, I've been using it for about 8 months 2-4 shows a month and many many practice sessions. I love it, the tone is good, the price is amazing and I feel that it's very reliable. I don't have a backup, and I probably won't be replacing this until it breaks, which I don't feel will be anytime soon.

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I like mine, I think it'll hold up fine. I've heard lots of bad things about Behringer products, but I've not heard of anyone's BX3000T breaking down on them. The shop I get gear from recommeneded against buying Behringer products, but stated this as an exception to their general low reliability or something.

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    The head is great, as are all Behringer products.

A quick search will reveal loads about their business practices though, and for that reason I will not buy Behringer, ever. If it doesnt bother you though, they truly are fantastic products for the money, make up your own mind, dont listen to anybody else here. :)

7. I have one as my backup amp. I have mixed feelings about it. The tone is pretty good, very warm. I don't like the DI, it's post eq only. I also don't like the efx loop. There's no mute switch. Personally, I wouldn't want it as my main amp. However, for someone on a budget, or just starting out, it's not a bad amp for the money.

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    According to experts on the TB, they are made by slaves, chained to their work stations, regularly whipped.

That aside, my Behringer practice amp works just fine as has been for 2 years.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    If you're an R&D for Ashdown or QSC i bet you love Behringer aswell.

Read that list of threads, this has been done to death and only causes flame wars of "Behringer sucks, they copy their designs from good companies" and "Behringer is ace, theyre cheap and sound like good amps (although theyre total industrial plagierism)" and "i think ill get a tin of beer and watch the fireworks"

10. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    And, after my thoughfull and generally useful post . . . . . . . . . .

11. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Here's the deal. (without the PC stuff.)
    Pros:
    >You can gig with it.
    >You can get a useable sound out of it.
    >It will be loud enough to play with a band.
    >It can get you by until you can afford something better, and could be your backup when you do.
    >It's inexpensive.

Cons:
    >They haven't been out that long, so I have not seen any longterm ownership testimonials. There are several people on this board who gig alot with them and have not reported any problems. I read posts here all the time about problems with "high end" amps, no company is safe from problems/defects.

I bought one but sold it to move up to a pre/power amp set up, but would buy one again. I recieved unsolicited positive comments from musicians when I used it at gigs. Is it as good as an Ampeg, Eden, SWR,etc.? Nope. If you look at it for what it is, they are a great deal. $230.00 delivered, and with a year's extra protection is not bad for a 300 watt head.

12. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I did a country gig last week using the band's bass rig... Behringer BX3000T into an SWR Workingman's 4X10... Zero complaints. The model is based heavily, (very heavily!), upon Ashdown's MAG 300 head... Sounded good through two long nights.

As I am needing a backup head, and the gig paid well, I searched ebay and bought the comparable Ashdown for slightly less than the list of the Behringer... This head is from a MAG 115 Combo but will drop right into either a rack box that I have or my three rack-space 1X15 combo... May need a little 'home-grown' sheet metal work, but I'm up to it...

This seller lists a few Ashdown heads from combos, or having bent ears, about once a month... I've seen several 'Electric Blue' 180's and 130's listed... Dirt cheap for the do-it-yourself types. Most of the combos had taken hits on the loading dock, so they gut and ebay the good parts. No warranty, but 'used' items rarely have 'em anyway...

-robert

13. I haven't played the Behringer BX3000T, but for what it's worth I recently bought a BX600 Behringer combo, and I'm very pleased with it.

Great tone, and big sound from a 60w combo.

I've read lots of bad things about Behringer as a company here. I don't know how accurate or credible some of those discussions are - they tend to sink into flame wars pretty quickly :eek:

Seems to me that alot of people jump in with plenty of speculation.

Had I read what I have about Behringer before I bought the amp I still would have bought it. It's by far the best sounding amp I've tried anywhere near that price range.

Anyway, bottom line is this:

Go play a BX3000T. If you like it, grab it :D If you don't like it, leave it in the store and keep saving ;)

Cheers,

Luke.

:bassist:

14. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I A/B'd the two a while ago and it seemed like the Behringer had just a bit more range in the tone controls. The real tie breaker however was the addition of the SHAPE control on the Behringer. With it engaged, by just turning that one knob you could quickly dial in anything from an old school grind to a deep funk. Two weeks ago "muzik4sail" was blowing out several new BX300Ts on ebay for $160 each. At that price I just couldn't resist getting one as a backup.

EDIT: On the downside, the Behringer weighs considerably more than the Mag 300 (~ 10lbs more). It would be nice if Behringer would utilize that "CoolAudio" technology that they acquired from Intersil Corp. back in 2000 in their next round of amps/heads to lighten them up!
    - Frank.

15. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    The BX3000T weighs in at 31 lbs. In comparison, the MAG 300H weighs about 22.5 lbs

- Frank.

16. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Berhinger makes crappy gear. If something is very inexpensive it can usually (but not always) indicate that it is low quality.

I better post some proof to back up my claim.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/480679/

The amp in the link is so defective that you cannot turn the volume up past "5" without getting some sort of very loud and god awful "WAAWAAWAA" sound coming from the speakers. I tried several of these amps brand new at guitar center and they all did this. Why would berhinger put such an obviously flawed product on the shelves?

17. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    That may be true of the BX300 (this one is a cheap little 30 watt combo practice amp). We were talking about the BX3000T (their 300 watt head, which has actually received quite a number of favorable reviews here on TB as well as HC). Granted, it's still on the low end of the equipment scale, but no less so than any of the Crates, Hartkes or Ashdowns (at least the Electric Blue or the MAG series like the MAG 300H, which is what it's based on) that I've played. The BX3000T has a very loud 300 watts and has surprisingly good tone. Time will tell if mine will last or crap out, but at the $160 I paid for it, I was willing to take the chance and if it does it won't be the end of the world for me.

- Frank.

18. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Just to add my two cents...I was very impressed by this head. I have played through too many brands of amps to list here and it definately compared well with any of them IMO. The BX3000 had a really good range of different tones available that were very usable. I have thought very seriously about buying one as a backup to my main amp.

As far as Behringer quality goes in general, I know of a professional video production company that loves the Behringer mixing consoles. I was told my their leading sound guy that they like the Behringers because of their tranparency and they hadn't had one fail. That was about 3-4 months ago. Time will tell with their products and then we all will know.

19. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama