1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Behringer iNUKE 1000 - DSP? Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by c3powil, Jan 30, 2017.

1. c3powil

c3powil

Apr 18, 2008
    North of ATL, GA
    So I've done my research. I know that the NU1000 is rated peak, and that RMS watts are more like 600-700 at 4 ohms bridged and 400-500 at 8 ohms bridged. But at only $150 brand new with free shipping, 6-7 pounds, and including a 3 year warranty, I can't see how this isn't a crazy good deal. 600-700 watts may not be huge in the PA world, but loud for most bass rigs.

So I pulled the trigger. I have a Mesa 4x10 cab that could use 400-500 watts and an Acme Low B 2x10 that could use 600-700 watts. Perfect. I could even run them both at the same time.

But then I discovered that DSP is an option on these units and that piqued my interest. After doing more research It seems like most recommend the DSP version. Its around 75 dollars more and that puts it out of interest for me. I'd rather save the cash. But then I saw a used one for only 100 bucks and I snapped it up. About 125 with shipping. Still cheaper than the non DSP version, but no warranty.

I also discovered that these fans are ridiculously loud. Knowing I would probably end up replacing the fan, I ordered one from Amazon. It probably voids the warranty to do so, but I'm assuming the used DSP one wont have a warranty anyway.

So my questions:

Obviously the DSP equipped amp is preferable because it has more features and will be much more quiet with the upgraded fan, but is it worth the warranty trade off?

What, in your experience as a bass player, are the biggest benefits of a DSP equipped amplifier? I'm not interested in house sound or PA stuff. What would be most useful for me putting it in my bass rig?

Thanks for your help, and any experiences and opinions regarding Behringer's inuke amps are welcome, too.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Before running both your cabinets at the same time in bridge mode, you might want to look over minimum rated load in bridge mode in the owner's manual before you try this. I think you will find it's an illegal load to the amp.

This is more important than the DSP IME.

3. c3powil

c3powil

Apr 18, 2008
    North of ATL, GA
    Yes, thanks for the cautionary advice, agedhorse, but I was meaning I could run in stereo mode, which would not damage the amp to my knowledge. DSP, I suppose, would be even more applicable in this situation, as I could route low frequencies to the Mesa via one Poweramp and mids and highs to the acme via the other. Is this possible?

4. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, it should be possible.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The nu1000dsp is $200 MAP (everywhere) Amazon.com: Behringer NU1000DSP iNuke Power Amplifier: Musical Instruments
    With the full warranty. But call a couple of stores, they may throw in some cables for the same price.

DSP is a great option, and there are many settings. It's a learning experience. With a little practice ....

Don't assume the fans too loud until you hear it. Most of the fans are being changed for home theater use. Quieter fans usually mean less air flow. In a bass amp you probably won't hear the stock fan.

6. c3powil

c3powil

Apr 18, 2008
    North of ATL, GA
    Well I just got an email that the DSP order has been cancelled. No reason was provided for this but I assume someone bought it in store and GC never bothered to take it off the online used website.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Watch the factory store
    MUSIC Factory Store | eBay Stores

The inukes don't come up often, but when they do they have a good price and full warranty.
    They go quick.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  8. c3powil

c3powil

Apr 18, 2008
    North of ATL, GA
    Wow, thanks! There's one for $120 right now with no DSP. That's a good $30 cheaper than other stores.

9. c3powil

c3powil

Apr 18, 2008
    North of ATL, GA
    So I did end up getting DSP.

I found one refurbished (used, customer return) on zZounds for 175, free shipping, and no tax. I pulled the trigger on it, being only 25$ over what I paid for the new non DSP from Sweetwater.

Then I called Sweetwater to get the return authorization code to send it back. My sales agent said he would match the price that zZounds had on the refurbished one, only he would send me a new one and take care of shipping for the one I was sending back as well as the new one. So that was nice.

DrColossus68 and seamonkey like this.