Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer mixers?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by White_Knight, Apr 25, 2001.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hi all, just have a quick question for you.
    What's the word on Behringer mixers (reliability wise as well as sound wise)? I can't remember the model number right now, but I'm looking at one of their smaller ($150) mixers to add to my bass rig. I'm looking to do this so that I can have sort of a souped up routing box - I figure this way I can get my signal into a recorder at optimum levels. And also route it to a PA or other power-amp/pre-amp if I so desired. I like this idea over a direct box because I like the idea of being able to set different levels for each component. And since I'm not looking for any sound coloring, I'm not looking into other alternatives such as the BassDriver DI.

Anyway, what are you're opinions on this? Thanks.

2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I don't have one so I'm not speaking from my own experience here. However, I considered one myself and found mostly negative reviews on Homerecording.com (http://homerecording.com/bbs). In fact, I don't remember any of the pros on that site defending them. However, there are some people who said their needs are simple and the Behringers are fine for them.

Do a search of that site and you'll find A LOT on this topic. These forums are probably your best bets: "The Rack", "Other Equipment and Reviews", "Recording Techniques", and "Newbies" are probably your best bets. One of the livlier threads was http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=25328&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Of course :

1) You should also check them out for yourself if possible.

2) Price always factors in to some extent and they are definitely tempting. Like I said, I seriously considered one myself and that's when I found all the reviews on the Homerecording site.

3) This doesn't necessarily apply to other Behringer gear. I have the AutoComm compressor and the Virtualizer Pro DSP unit. I like them both (though I don't use the Virtualizer much) and have had no problems with them, despite how they got shipped to me. I bought them over the phone from a Sam Ash in NYC and all they did was put a piece of tape over each end of the boxes, slap on shipping labels, and gave them to UPS - no padding other than the styrofoam in the boxes. That freaked me out, but they both worked fine when I opened them. I've also seen one of their compressors (Composer Pro) get GREAT reviews from some of the pros on Homerecording.com.

3. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hey, thanks for the link! There's some great info there. I think that I've decided to stay away from the Behringer, I'll save my money and look into Mackie - I've used their stuff before and really liked it. I'm looking at a small power-amp now and some of Alesis's stuff looks good so I'll go check that out. Thanks again.