Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer mixers

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, Sep 28, 2002.

1. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    Can anyone give me the good bad and ugly on Behringer mixers?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I've only read what people think. AFAIK, the general opinion is that they are of rather poor quality, both sonically and construction-wise (bleeding across channels, very high failure rate), with poor customer service on top of it all. But at the modest price level, they can't be beat.

3. We use a Behringer MX9000 Eurodesk at college and to be honest it's not very good at all. I don't know what the cheaper ones are like, but this one is very poor and it's pretty much Behringer's top of the range mixer, so I'm guessing they're not too good either.

4. a friend loaned me an mx802a...

the thing was great for band practice (running a few mics, cd plr, drum mach, etc) in fact, i'd like to have one for just that.

i gather that some of their stuff is rather "disposable".... if something gets broken, the cost of repair is a large fraction of replacing it (ie, not worth fixing).

whereas, a higher quality unit that is built well, is worth repairing if something happens.

my2c....

5. We use a 16-channel Behringer in the music dorm here at Cornell, and my old band recorded its demo on an 8-track one. Neither is anywhere near satisfactory.

The preamps are terrible--noisy, midrangy, not enough gain on tap, etc. The mains don't work on the music dorm's mixer, so we have to run everything through the group outs :rolleyes: .

I would never buy one. A Carvin or Peavey is a much better deal.

6. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    IMO, best in their price range, especially if your looking at their little mixers.
    But if you can afford it, you might want to consider mackie.

It all comes down to what your needs are, what your budget is and what quality you demand.

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I have two of the smallest Behringers (MX 602A), one I use at home more or less as a volume knob for my home studio monitors, and the other is in my PA microphone case as a general problem solver in case I run out of channels on our PA mixer (Mackie 1604 VLZ). The Behringers are handy but not all that good. The mic preamps don't sound too good, but for the price they are allright.

A better option in my view is the Phonic line, they are very similar as far as features go, but all ins and out are balanced and they sound much better. The PA guy in a local store made some comparison listening and claims the mic pres sound close to the Mackie's. The Phonic will of course not live as long as a Mackie as it has neither the same kind of build quality nor things like dust protected sliders etc.

8. Behringer consoles?

RUN AWAY!

They're very poorly constructed, unreliable, noisy, sonically disgusting and impossible to work on.

The Eurodesk is probably the worst console I've ever encountered.

9. Stingray

Stingray

May 12, 2000
    someone said somethin about carvin mixers. i am lookin to buy a mixer i was gonna buy the behringer 2004mx but after reading i don think i will but ifound the carvin 16 channel studio mixer for around the smae price and i was wondering if this would be a good buy instead give me goods ad bad and if there is anyy uglys ty.