Behringer MPA40BT - real world experience?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fishdreams, Sep 2, 2017.

1. fishdreams

fishdreams Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification and and Martin Keith Guitars
    This carry-along personal PA gets mentioned on the forum here and there. Is there anyone with real world experience with this thing? I'm looking for something not too expensive and battery driven that works with a small marching band. Not expecting great tone, fuzz bass works wonders with horns for all I care. Just need to be heard without bleeding me fingers. Thanks!

2. fishdreams

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Anyone....?

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    As a bass amp or as a PA, it's intended use? If as a PA, you might want to post in the Live Sound section.
    My own experience with Behringer equipment confirms that I will never own any of it.

theretheyare likes this.
  4. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    I did the marching band with bass for a couple of years doing second line.

Either a PJ briefcase (I believe) is battery powered, or hook a car battery to an inverter on a cart with your combo amp of choice.

theretheyare likes this.
  5. fishdreams

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Bass amp. Something that I can use outside, with no plugin power, not too expensive. I know it's Behringer, but for example the little Eurolive personal monitor my wife has is excellent.

6. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    My Behringer gear is quality equipment and dead reliable. Lots of bang for the buck. Having said that, there are battery powered bass amps out there. The Pignose, Roland 4-5" combo, and Crate Taxi's. All really durable stuff. Oh, and Yamaha makes a fine battery powered multi-use battery powered p.a. I have the MP4 and honestly, while it's great for vocals and backing tracks, it didn't do bass that well. My ideal setup was the Behringer battery powered for p.a. and the Roland Cube bass combo for bass. Very loud but uses only 4 AA batteries. Pretty incredible for the size.

Here's the Roland:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    theretheyare likes this.
  7. fishdreams

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thank you! So you are saying the Roland Cube on Bass matches up with the Behringer on vocals? Then id have to reconsider me plan.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  8. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I play with a band and during rehearsals we play lower volume. Two microphones into the Behringer and the Roland Cube for bass. The guitarist has a Laney combo amp with a 10" speaker. Small drum set.

If I rethink your question, the Roland sounds better than the Behringer for bass.

EDIT: Although I don't use the Behringer for bass, it is a very handy p.a. The battery runs forever, it sounds fantastic with MP3 tracks, sounds great for vocals, and you can stream music to it via Bluetooth. It's a super value for just having around. I suppose if you had a chance try it out for bass. It might be enough for you, provided you don't crank it too much.

theretheyare likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021