Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer PMX 2000 Powered Mixer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dakine, Sep 25, 2003.

1. This is going to sound really weird, but I recently acquired a fairly new Behringer PMX2000 powered mixer. It is a 10 channel mixer/PA that goes for USD$300 new, and puts out over 200 watts/channel. I hooked it up to a 4 ohm Carvin 2x10.

Using just one output channel (half of the available power), the results blew me away - huge sound, totally kicks ass! The group consisted of three guitars, keyboards, and a loud drummer playing rock/funk. My bass is a Pedulla Rapture. We also ran two microphones through the PA.

Now get this - my normal rig is an Alembic F1-X and a QSC PLX 3002! I'm telling you, this PA is 95% as good as the Alembic/QSC for bass. Very portable too.

2. MauriLii

MauriLii

Jan 19, 2003
    Kent, England
    Running the risk of getting flamed, I've been looking at some Behringer gear lately. How's the overall fit and finish? Does it look and feel solid? What I mean by this is; quite often you can tell a lot about the quality of a piece of equipment by the care put into the design and finish of the equipment. Obviously I'm not suggesting that if something looks good that it'll sound good, or that it'll last a long time, but it is a good starting point.

3. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    As a PA, I've seen a lot of hit or miss reviews on this thing. The pros I've seen are that it is a great bang for the buck. Most of the cons I've seen on this are related to design: there is no pan control, no way to change the effects parameters, and the bigest design complaint is that there is only speaker on outputs. Since this thing is targeted for people on a budget the speaker on outputs only seems to be a big isssue since they don't want to pay for the high dollar cables. Then there also seems to be some quality control issues where some people will use it a couple of times and then it quits working.

4. I've been using this PA for about a month now and can say it is works great for live music. The best thing is that the bass cuts through very nicely in a loud rock/funk band. And I'm only using one channel into a 2x10 - there's another 230 watt channel too! I would bridge it, but my speaker is only 4 ohms.

Regarding the fit and finish, everything feels "quality" except the knobs, which feel kind of cheap.

Critical listening in a quiet room reveals some hiss and crosstalk (it's a ten channel PA) that are completely inaudible in a live situation.

I've tried some recording from the PA directly into a cassette deck, but this unit is in no way studio quality.

We've been recording our live practices with room microphones into a high quality digital recorder. The Behringer is missing some sub-bass response that my Alembic F1X/QSC PLX produce. It could due to differences in EQ, or it could be a limitation of the Behringer.

Bottom line is that this thing kicks ass in a loud live context, but you wouldn't use it in a studio or in a solo bass type situation. Plus it's great for vocalists or when someone shows up without an amp!

5. Regarding speakons: you can very cheaply build a cable adapter, no need to get ripped off.