Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer power amps???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by THIRSTYGUMS, Jan 11, 2006.

1. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I don't use them for my bass rig, but I have both the EP1500 and the EP2500 and they are loud and quiet. I use them in my PA, the EP2500 for the mains (stereo), and the EP1500 for monitors.

The mains are two Yamaha S115V speaker cabinets. I run the band's sound through a Yamaha mixer left and right channel out into the EP2500's left and right inputs. Great sound, lots of headroom, and I have yet to hear any noise from it. It's set up in 8 ohm mode, and it's rated at 450 watts per channel.

For monitors, we use 4 Yamaha SM12V's. I have two monitors daisy chained out of each left and right output on the EP1500. This is running at a 4 ohm load, but I can't remember the wattage at 4 ohms for the 1500.

I dig 'em. I know a lot of people put down Behringer, and perhaps they've had bad luck in the past. But for $299 and $249, you can buy two for the price of one Crown. I realize that you probably get more quality and reliability with manufacturer's like Crown, but man....I'm not rich, nor can I afford new units at the prices that those other guys ask.

The power amps are built very tough and are very heavy. My only gripe is that the knobs on the front are made from a cheap plastic, and the pots are probably not the best quality as they don't have a good "glide" when you turn them. My amps are both in rack cases and the volume knobs are rarely changed, so that's not a big deal.

I know at least one TB'er uses a Behringer power amp in his rack because I saw him at the Texas TB Get-together last summer. I didn't catch his name though.

I hope this helps!

2. i aint rich either, funny that! wonder why?!?!?! cheers for the comments:bassist:

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I used a Behringer head in my rig - the 3000 - and I think it's a very good amp.

Key to buying Behringer stuff is burning it in as soon as you get it. Beat the crap out of it, so if it is going to fail, it will fail at home, inside the warranty period. If you get a good one, you get a very good deal.

4. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I use an EP1500 in my rig. Quiet, powerful and with all the necessary features a power amp has to have. Been using it for a year, but this hasn't been a too intense year gig-wise so maybe I can't still judge on reliability. My only other B gear is a PEQ-2200 (5-band full parametric EQ) which does the work perfectly. Looking to upgrade the EP1500 to a Peavey PV2600 but plan on keeping the Behringer for packup purposes and some other uses.

ANDRUCA