Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer Research & Decal department (big pics)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, May 10, 2003.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I find this either pretty scary or hilarious.

QSC RMX 1500
    2x700 W @ 2 ohms, 1400 W bridged @ 4 ohms.
    Conceived and designed in USA.
    Built in China under QSC specifications.
    Street price us$ 400.
    [​IMG]

Behringer EUROPOWER EP1500
    2x700 W @ 2 ohms, 1400 W bridged @ 4 ohms.
    Conceived and designed in Germany.
    Built in China under Behringer specifications.
    Street price us$ 300.
    [​IMG]

Comments :meh: ?

2. ...except the Behringer amp is probably built with lower-grade components and is 10x more likely to fail at some point during a 5-year operating life.

3. What Peter said....

That's a pretty blatant ripoff, even for Behringer.

4. Jazz Ad

Without a doubt.
    Have we talked about the peak limiter and switchable 30/50 Hz hipass filter both these amps have ?

5. Why are you two so sure it uses cheaper components??

6. Every piece of Behringer equipment I've taken apart uses pretty cheap components. Certainly cheaper than those in the products they were reverse engineered from.... Their Eurodesk console is almost exactly a Mackie SR24-4 built with crappier components. The PC board layouts are almost identical.
    Jazz: I wouldn't be surprised if there's legal actiion on this one.....:D

7. Just lacks the screw terminal inputs. Slightly different LED placement...but just barely.

I'm used to this kind of thing, from working w/ harley aftermarket companies. I've seen a couple pieces I've made knocked off and claimed as someone elses. Amazing.

8. Jazz Ad

I wouldn't be surprised if they were assembled in the same factory, too, just with different components.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Have you seen Behringer's version of the Line6 Basspod?

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Where are ya, Bob? Or can you not comment due to pending litigation?

brad cook

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    One major difference...the QSC is UL Listed for safety while the Behringer carries no safety marks.

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I remember this comming up in another thread and Bob Lee's response was a ripper:-

"Behringer recently doubled their development costs, meaning of course that they have bought a second photo-copier".

Have a look that their Bass amp heads and tell me they're not an Ashdown rippoffs..........

13. Jazz Ad

A sticker doesn't exactly make a difference.
    Especially when the Behringer pic is taken from an european site, thus doesn't need it.

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Well, a UL Mark on a product isn't just a sticker... Kind of surprised not to see at least the CE Marking...which really doesn't mean much...

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Nothing new under the sky, Behringer is known for their ripoffs.

But on the other hand, it's kinda positive for me as a poor, beginning musician - the quality might be only half of the original, but the pricetag is only one third..

16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Behringer have recently doubled the size of their R&D department - they bought another photocopier.

Alex

17. Actually if you compared this rip-off with a PLX that doesn't have the barrier strip it is even more blatant!

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    send this to bob lee

19. Behringer has done it again. This time they have managed to rip off QSC. Will these cheaper amps hold up? Only time will tell. You can compare them component for component from now til the end of time and it don't mean a thing. They will either be a great value or they'll be like a cheap socket that rounds the nut off the first time you really twist on it. I do know that they have really hurt Mackie sales around here. Since Behringer doesn't come up with anything new, just rip offs of other products, other makers are going to have to constantly improve their products to make them more attractive to the consumer. QSC could probably trim the profit margin a bit and offer the RMX1450 at a street price of $350 and not loose one sale to the Behringer EP1500. jmho