Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer review: BA115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Robear22, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I know we have all been involved or read some of the Behringer threads that have been floating around here lately. They tend to sometimes get nasty, political, and sometimes rather offensive. So I am saying this before we begin this little foray. I would prefer to keep this discussion about the gear. Not ethics or anything political. Those that have personally tried the product. Everyone has an opinion and we seem to get caught up in other matters when people sometimes just want to know how something sounds or works. So for those that are interested I will give my review of a new Behringer Ultrabass BA115. I have been hesitant to do this but here goes.

I called my local GC to see if they had any to try. They had the 115 and the 410 in aluminum only. So I loaded up my BX3000T and my Cort/Elrick 5 and went down to take them for a spin. I had tried the 115 in another store about a month back but wanted to see how it will sound with my stuff. Plugged in and took her for a spin. Impressive tone and volume came from that cab. I tapped, slapped, and fingerstyled that puppy and she was very responsive to all of those styles. I usually prefer 10's and am now just discovering 12's so I had kind of given up on 15's. This cab had a nice bright tone with tight mids and lows. I then tried the 410 and for sheer volume that cab dominated the 115. But I discovered the same thing the guys in Bass Player discovered, it lacks in the lows. Punch and mids for days and no bottom. So I buy the 115 and look forward to trying it out with the rest of my stuff. Ever since joining Talkbass I now have stuff. :smug: I have 30 days so if I don't like how it sounds with my band I can bring it back.

I get to the church and put the Behringer rig through it paces. Sounds even better with more space and the acoustics of my church. I then hook up my Avatar 210 cab with it and turn off the 115's tweeter. The 210 handles the highs and mids with ease and the 15 gives me ample, tight bottom. This cab is different with its tweeter off. Nothing but lows and some mids but the high end seems to not have totally disappeared. Maybe this is because of the aluminum speakers. With the tweeter on I get nice clean highs that do not sound harsh. My 210's tweeter give me more hiss and that is with the attenuator at about 10 o'clock. I then hook up my BBEpre/B-power amp setup to see how that sounds. Made the 15's tone even tighter and handled the Low B with ease. Now I actually hear and feel the low end. My Avatar 112 gives me the same feel but the aluminum has a certain ring to it. The tweeter on my 112 is not as hissy and the two paired together gives me a quiet and powerful stack.
    The cab is not that heavy and the construction seem solid. The carpet covering is rather thin though and will wear quickly with heavy gigging. The side wheels are a good idea only if they were bigger. Rolling the cab over flat pavement is no problem but anything that has thick carpet or is not solid and they become pretty much useless.
    Overall the cab is not bad and a steal for 199.00 not including tax. I am not saying it compares to SWR, Aguilar, AccuGroove, or Bergatino. It is nowhere near the big boys in total sound and clarity. But if you are a beginner or need something to bang on and don't want to bring your good stuff then you may be surprised. I would love to A/B this with a 15 from Avatar just to see how they compare. Mine will be a backup/practice cab and support when I need to bring the boom. Tens are nice but I forgot what a 15 brings to the table.
    Talkbass has really affected me. I have never owned this much gear in all of my bass playing years. I now have 2 rigs, 3 basses, a combo, and some other gadgets and effects and it feels good. It may not be some of the high end stuff a lot of you guys own but some guys can only work with what they can. I don't tour or play out every weekend. I just play at my church and a coffehouse every now and then. I believe that I will eventually move up as my skills progress. I think that technique is more important than what you are playing on and if you learn to sound good with what you have now then you will appreciate the high-end. Just my .25 cents :cool:

2. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Any responses to the review? :confused:

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Can't say anything for Beh's bass amps, but the board we have in the studio absolutly blows chunks. We're going to be replacing it (it's a mixing/FX deck, thing) as soon as we get the money to.
    Glad to hear you found this product to be of good quality though. I'm just more interested in seeing someone who has owned a Beh bass amp for say, 2 years, to see how it's still standing up.

Ray

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Behringer stealing model names now too? I though the BA115 was an Ampeg combo.

-Mike

5. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    +1

6. I have a question.

When you brang your gear into GC. Did you happen to A/B the BA115 with anything else in the store other than the behringer 410?

7. Despite all the issues about Behringer, I thought your review was open minded and to the point. The whole purpose of a review..... :)

Cheers,

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I applaud you for writing the review and focusing soley on the cab itself. The other issues surounding Behringer are well known and most have made their decision reagarding them already.

At least you've given us a first hand writeup of how well the BA115 works. I'd like to see a followup in a few months to see if any issues have arisen as the cab gets worked, or if there are any changes in its sound/performance.

I fully agree, to steal an adage from autoracing "If you aren't good with $100, $100,000 won't help you."

9. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Why yes I did. I played through an Ampeg and a SWR. I loved the sound of the SWR and with the Ampeg it was okay. Never really liked the Ampeg cabinet sound. YMMV. The Behringer has more bottom and lacks the sheen of the SWR though. Of course overall the other two have qualities that make them better but the Behringer is designed for the low-end buyer. And it sounds quite well for its price. Some may consider it a steal. :smug: Oops!

My other bass player played this Sunday and I had a chance to listen from the back in the sound booth. I had him play through the Behringer rig and I was rather impressed with the tone. Very loud and powerful. I actually had to tell him to turn down because he was overpowering a drummer, keyboardist, organist with a Leslie, and a percussionist. I would like to see how the 210 cab would sound with the 115. The highs were not as upfront as I like to hear. The tweeter is real subdued on this cab and I usually have to boost the treble on either my bass or the amp to really accent those highs.

10. Gastambide

Gastambide

Mar 4, 2005
    Maybe it was the room??? I tried the 115 Aluminum cabinet along with the 210 (using their BX3000 head) at Elderly Instruments (Lansing, MI) a couple of weeks ago, and was terribly disappointed. I had recently purchased the Behringer BX1200 Ultrabass combo to use as a practice amp. I love it! Very punchy, although a bit light on the bass side (I have to crank the lows up to 10, even with my Spector's bass cranked - in order to get a good, warm tone!) So, I went in with a good attitude, expecting to hear a bigger, punchier version of my combo. I had the poor sales guy drag the components up from storage to hook it all up for me, plugged in my Spector Euro4, and...yuck. No matter what I tried (tweaking the amp, turning off and on tweeters in both cabs, only using one cab at a time, etc...), I got the muddiest, least focused bottom I have ever experienced. (I'm not exaggerating!) That rig in that room simply would NOT work, period. And I obviously have no prejudice against the brand, having just purchased the combo. I'm wondering if the room acoustics could really have made that much difference? I didn't try another amp in that room, because it wasn't the AMP room. (Since there were so many guitarists shredding away in there, they set me up just outside the amp room.) At any rate, it was enough to make me remove the Behringer from my list of possible new amp/cab set-ups. Maybe I should try one again, at another store?

11. That's similar to my experience too. I tried the alloy cones at one place and didn't like them. They were just too bright in the mids like steel drums. But when I tried the paper cone of the same they sound far better. In fact they sound pretty good.

Where I bought the 210 I have now, they won't even stock the alloy cone Behringers as they don't recommend them. The place I get me gear from is own by all bass players. They won't stock anything unless it's something they are happy with.

They also sold the Behringer as a bang for buck cab but said if your ok to spend more we can do better.

12. I tried the b15 with a joe osbourn bass and my thunderfunk. The worst experience I've had with my 'funk yet. Way to muddy.
    We have a behringer 12" combo at school. The only thing I like with it is the mids, wich is indeed sweet! So it's decent as a practice amp. But as it is TERRIBLE to lug around, it's not an option for me.

Really good for you that you found something you like, though! The most important thing is that you like your own sound. I sure would have been happy if I liked the Behringer - sound, poor as I may be.

13. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I will stress that this cab is not for everyone and everyone's sound. I would love to get the paper one and do an A/B comparison to see the differences in tone. It is totally subjective though as each person has their personal preference for their sound. This cab is nothing more than a backup, extra, practice cab. Now I don't have to break my stuff down at the church I just leave something there and something at home. I still love my Avatars though and believe they are the best bang for the buck cabs that are out there. :smug: Just my opinion. :D

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nice job on the review, Robear22. You may want to consider adding it to the gear review archive, if you haven't already.

15. Thread resurrection!!!
    Just in case anyone finds this through the power of Google, I thought I would share my experience.
    I bought a BA115 second hand a few years back as a rehearsal cab for my HiWatt DR103. It actually sounded pretty good though I couldn't use it with the tweeter as it was just too harsh.
    Eventually the aluminium Beluga speaker blew but instead of ditching the whole cab, I purchased an Eminence Beta 15 350W speaker and dropped it into the cab..... what a difference!
    With the Eminence cone this cab actually sounds pretty damned good, so I'm keeping it. I've added big heavy duty castor wheels and next I'm replacing the horrible metal mesh with a silverface cloth.
    Solid cab, cheap and now sounding better than Behringer could make it sound for almost peanuts :)

16. So you are saying that it is a good cab if you change everything about it, except the wood box? :thumbsdown:

alaskaleftybass and agedhorse like this.
  17. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    LOL Bigbottom.

It's not unusual to replace a speaker with a better one, I suppose. As for the grill, that 's personal preference. There are still many B bashers here and many people too embarrassed to associate their equipment with the B-name for fear of being ridiculed....

S-Bigbottom likes this.