Behringer Shark DSP110 Feedback Destroyer

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Bob Gollihur, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Anyone have any experience with this??

Another bass player ordering some stuff mentioned it to me -- told me that an acoustic guitarist told him about it and said it worked great live.

Later called to tell me he got one and it works great.

Seems unbelievably cheap (all Behringer gear seems to have dropped in price with my latest catalogs) and on their site they have a press release "BEHRINGER Announces Worldwide Retail Price Reduction up to 50%"

Mars has it for $69.99 - yes, that's right, $70!

Seems too good to be true - automatic feedback suppression, a DI box, optional compression, subsonic filter, noise gate, phantom mic power, etc...

Only catch (what can you expect!) is that it is digital, not analog, but it is 24 bit!

I am not playing gigs where I have feedback problems, but for $70 I feel like I ought to buy one anyway!! <g>

Just a heads up for the feedback-prone.

(Mars policy: If, for any reason, your shipment is not satisfactory, we will gladly replace it or refund your money (excluding shipping and handling charges) within 30 days.)
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    (All Hail) Bob,

Thanks for the tip. But truth be told, I haven't had a single instance of feedback of any kind since I started using K&K pickups. :)
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I haven't used that particular unit, but I do own and use a similar Roland device. Works just great on monitors, which is invaluable to us since we run our own sound and have lots of mics on at once. Helps a great deal...just set it and forget it. Haven't thought to try it on DB since I also have been K&K'ed.

Interesting story: A drummer I play with runs sound for the local pro hockey team's home games. They were having lots of trouble with feedback on the ref's lavalier mic and bought a really expensive Sabine feedback eliminator. First night, every time the ref would turn his mic on to announce a call, they'd hit the button to auto-filter frequencies for possible feedback. By the end of the first period, they'd run that filter so many times and on so many locations on the ice that the device had basically pulled down all the frequencies and there was no output at all from the mic. They spent the whole remainder of the game trying to find out what was wrong and only realized what had happened when somebody accidentally pulled a patch cord out of the Sabine thingy.
  5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Yeah, feedback isn't typically a problem for me, either, but a solution for some of the guys I talk with would be nice. Especially a cheap one.

I ordered one just for the helluvit, to see how it works with bass.

As you mention, Mike, I also have some very occasional gig problems with vocal feedback (though I don't sing anymore), and a little box like that could be handy to have in the gig bag for troublesome gigs.
  6. TvOZ

Sep 20, 2001
    Melbourne Australia
    I tried one out and was disappointed. The unit seemed to eliminate all the frequencies that feeding back which left me with next to no sound. I only spent a cuppla days mucking around with it and followed the manual in detail, talked to the local suppliers but with no success. I'd be very interested in finding out how u go Bob
  7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    I sent mine back right after playing with it for a short while. Frankly, I wasn't in a patient mood, and found it to be counter-intuitive with instructions that were useless. And I got the impression from the instructions that it wasn't really interactive- a wrong assumption, but I impulsively voted with my feet... taking it to UPS for a quick trip back.

I did, however, talk with another player yesterday who got one and also agreed that it was a puzzle inside an enigma inside a pain in the ass. However, he got his to work and was pleased with it. Said he turned everything off and then started from scratch.

So I guess the moral of the story is patience is rewarded.
  8. Life is so much simpler when you're low-tech. If I didn't have a VCR and an answering machine, I'd be no tech at all.