Behringer strikes stomp boxes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tekhna, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It annoys me SO much to see business practice like this. /takes a beer.
  3. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Wow. There's also Big Muff and Small Stone clones, a Boss-style floor tuner ($25!), a distortion pedal that models a DS-1, D+, and Rat, a 7-band bass EQ for $25, and blatant knock-offs of most of the Boss pedals, all under $40 MSRP. Should be interesting to see the quality on these. The BDDI clone is especially interesting.
  4. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

I guess that is capitalism?
    They can get away with it, so why not right?
    I am no fan of capitalism, but I prefer the sound of my BX3000T to the actual Ashdown. If they have a decent bypass and don't totally suck, I am sure I will pick some up.
  5. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

Yeah, it is crazy. They are releasing like 70 new products this NAMM. They must be doing well financially. I guess it helps a ton that they don't really have to pay R&D.
  6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    wait and see, i guess.

i'm sure they'll sell like hotcakes at those prices.

may be snobbery, but i would feel kinda dirty buying a boss clone.
  7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I don'y think that they have actually ripped the stomp boxes off. Most of these same circuits have been around for many years only tweaking by individual manufacturers. Check out this site for a better idea on the circuits:
    I do believe that Behringer intentionally makes their products look like more popular brands in an attempt to get sales. To the uninformed buyer, they see "bassist A" playing with this awesome chorus. They never bothered to ask the bassist what pedal he was using. They go into their local music store looking for that pedal. They see the Behringer that looks just like it. They buy. Thats my take on it.
  8. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    1. Looks interesting to me!
    2. At least they know theyre ripping things off, and they are making sure others know.
  9. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    They're modelling a... modeller? *head explodes*
  10. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Yeah, It'd really suck if someone started making copies of vintage Fender basses and sold them for less then $200US. ;)
  11. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    They'd get a lawsuit.... wouldnt they, oh wait, they do.... :duh:
  12. Behringer are also in discussions with a UK advisor to produce a Nickelback Emulator as they see a upturn in trade signs coming form this market.

It will be called the Neveragaintone driver, just plug in and play and it will be followed by a range of famous artists emulators to save us money in buying loads of worthless f/x to sound like every other bass player.

To appreciate there full potential and sound perfection you have to be deaf and completely stupid,i cant wait to see those suckers on Ebay !!
  13. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Thats the first post ive read today that made me smile. Let it be said that his tone sucks.
  14. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Wow, i can't believe how many pedals they copied! I dont see how they can get away with some of those pedals looking pretty much EXACTLY the same as what they're copying. Like that Small Stone copy, they couldn't just make it look like another one of their Boss ones. they Had to make it look like the small stone.
  15. the rack tuner on the site looks interesting though....
  16. if that BDI driver (£31???? :eek: ) is as good as a Sansamp I'm having one.... :ninja:

note that instead of a single stacked treble/bass pot on their clone of the Boss ODB3 they used separate pots- cost-cutting being the reason?
  17. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm amused by the "78 products to steal the show" as well, and I laughed heartily after reading that. For the most part, I'm going to avoid these, but seeing I'm such a Muff head, I have to check out the fake Muff, but mostly I'm confused as to why they didn't copy the design of the Sansamps and use the same casing like the rest.

Basically, I don't see how they're still avoiding lawsuits, as these are the MOST BLATANT copies I've ever seen. I understand the circuits are nearly common knowledge, but the case designs I'm sure will hold up in court.

I'm also amused by the Hellbabe Wah... modeled after Dime's Crybaby from Hell wah.

Look at the DM-100, I'm glad they didn't blatantly rip off the DS-1, cause that's already a $30 BOSS Pedal, but way to suck in a few more popular pedals.

They don't seem to be a bad buy, but I'm not going to be supporting the company. I'll buy the EH copies used, but that's it, no money directly to Behringer for me.
  18. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, it saved'em $50 worth in parts. the savings just get back to us! :cool:
  19. "The UO100’s sound was modeled after* Boss® OC-2."
    (BCH100)"The sound was modeled after* Boss® CEB-3."

no sh*t!

£15 for the Boss-alikes???

watch everyone's pedalboards jump in size overnight, swamping the stage.....

BTW where's the bass synth pedal?
  20. ps. one potential flaw in the pedals is the jack sockets seem to be supported solely by the circuit board- they don't have fixing nuts on the outside like Boss pedals.

this could result in solder joints coming loose eg. when someone inevitably steps on the jackplug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.